Gulf Shores : Craft Beer?

Discussion in 'South' started by SDSU94, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SDSU94

SDSU94 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Tennessee

Do any bars/restaurants in Gulf Shores, AL, serve craft beer? Reading menus online I have yet to find anything besides low end beer (Budweiser, Michelob, Coors, etc.), which I do not drink. Thanks

2. jmtromp

jmtromp Initiate (146) Mar 18, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Check out Maggie's Bottle and Tail and The Gulf in Orange Beach.

Jason1221 likes this.
  3. SDSU94

By the lack of responses I can tell I better bring anything I want to drink while there with me. Haha

4. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (184) Jul 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

@SDSU94 The AL coast line is a little sparse on craft beer. You can check out Rouses Market or Big Beach Brewing in Gulf Shores or you can drive a little east to Orange Beach and check out Maggie's Bottle & Tail.

If you are willing to stop on the way in Huntsville, Birmingham, or Mobile that would open up some more options. Also Fairhope Brewing is about a 45min drive north from Gulf Shores so check it out if there's a rainy day and you get bored.

Ford and Jason1221 like this.
  5. SDSU94

Thank you for your reply

6. Jason1221

Jason1221 Aspirant (254) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

@SDSU94 Been following here as I'm also headed down this summer. Anything good you discovered?

7. dscott421

dscott421 Initiate (153) Jun 13, 2013 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

At the beach currently... from what I've found, just head to Maggie's and don't waste your time at the grocery and other stores. Plenty of Westbrook, crooked stave, Orpheus, etc. the restaurants in the same little complex have a nice tap list too (Luna's (?)). Big beach brewing is pretty solid. Nothing mind blowing but solid beer and a cool spot to hang out for a bit.

Ford, JuliusPepperwood and Jason1221 like this.
  8. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,282) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

We stop at the Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Foley on the way down.

9. SDSU94

Head down tomorrow for a week. Honesty not expecting much unfortunately. Bringing a couple cases of beer from the west coast with me. Will post again after trip to let you know what if anything I found

10. SDSU94

Thank you for your reply. Yeah the Q wasn't about is there a grocery store as I agree a waste of time as I'm bringing a couple of cases of beer from the west coast with me. It was about when going out. Will check out Big Beach. Thanks

11. JuliusPepperwood

Beer Trader

12. SDSU94

13. Jason1221

Jason1221 Aspirant (254) Apr 7, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Checking in...Got down here myself. I bounced over to Liquor Paradise in west Pensacola yesterday. Had a bunch of FB on shelf (Wide Awake, Last Snow, etc). No French Toast at the couples places I had time to visit which was my main want.

Also hit Maggie's. Got the Key Lime Pie Gose and a Raspberry Imperial Biscotti Break. Bit pricey, but sounds tasty.

Ford likes this.
  14. Ford

Ford Defender (685) Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Do they have a decent selection there? I'm actually driving in tomorrow for a three day stay. My parents and daughter are already there camping at Gulf State park in between Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

15. Squire123

They had the best selection (and prices) we've found in the area. Used to travel there a good bit but it's been a couple years now.

Ford likes this.
  16. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,129) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you are driving by yourself and don't mind a little detour Cottage Hill has a good selection, about 10 min off the road. Hops and Growlers is right off of I10 around Biloxi and has some Mississippi/Regional stuff, and if you are carrying your growler, he now serves up his own brew.

17. dreschwartz

dreschwartz Initiate (117) Mar 18, 2016 Kentucky

Heading down to gulf shores in a week. Driving down through Birmingham on a Sunday. Are there restrictions for Sunday sales of beer?

18. JuliusPepperwood

Beer Trader

@dreschwartz Birmingham is in Jefferson county and they allow alcohol sales on Sunday after 12pm. Hop City is closed Sunday but grocery stores and breweries will be open.

19. Squire123

Due to local option laws it depends on the city. Tuscaloosa and Birmingham do after lunch and the closer to the Gulf tourist areas the more likely stores will sell on Sunday.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.