Morgantown, WV

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Griffin2, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffin2

Griffin2 Champion (811) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I'm going to be spending tomorrow night in Morgantown, WV. Are there any good spots to get some local bottled beer? Any recommendations? I was planning on hitting Morgantown Brewing company, but I can't tell from their website if they bottle anything.

2. mattmenas

mattmenas Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 West Virginia

Skip Morgantown Brewing Co and go to Chestnut Brew Works. Best WV brewery by miles. The Apothecary, Black Bear Burritos, and Iron Horse Tavern are all great options for local craft on draft and are all close to each other downtown. Kroger in Suncrest Town Center is your best bet for local cans. Morgantown brewing, Mountain State Brewing, Greenbrier Valley, and Big Timber. GBV and BT make great beer. Chestnut beers are draft only but they do fill growlers at the brewpub. Need to try Halleck Pale Ale and Best Hoption. Enjoy Motown!

Badfish, spedprof, mjk91383 and 2 others like this.
  3. Griffin2

Griffin2 Champion (811) Aug 22, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. zp6167a

zp6167a Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2011 District of Columbia

Morgantown Brewing Company: - in cans I've seen Zack Morgan IPA and Alpha Blonde. Both are pretty good if not spectacular.

Greenbrier Valley Brewing Company's Mothman Black IPA is very good for the style.

But I will definitely second the suggestion of hitting up Chestnut Brew Works. Beer is excellent and the vibe is great.

Griffin2 likes this.
  5. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

6. dmamiano

dmamiano Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2005 West Virginia

While I agree Bill at Chestnut brews some fine beers, there are other pretty solid WV breweries.
    I would certainly recommend a stop at Morgantown Brewing. Granted their IPA isn't as exciting as Chestnut, but their other beers, that are generally 8-10 deep, are all very solid and span a wide range of beer styles.
    Bridge Brew Works bottles and brews some very good beers.
    I do agree about the previously mentioned stops in town for local brew. Iron Horse and Black Bear are best for WV brewed beer.

7. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

I tried pretty much every beer on tap at Morgantown Brewing a couple months ago, and every beer was ok to meh. I miss the WVBC of 2000-2005. They at least had some really good seasonals at that time. Chestnut was amazing for WV. They are brewing on the level of many other great breweries around the country. All the styles were on point and clean. Big Timber does some good stuff, but I have found them to be hit or miss. Just an out of state (ex-West Virginian) opinion. I probably won't go back to MBC, and instead will focus on just hitting Chestnut and Apothecary during my next visit.

8. dmamiano

dmamiano Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2005 West Virginia

I understand about MBC. Nothing sexy, just solid IMO and offer styles not locally available.
    Chestnut probably leads the pack.
    With the influx of national crafts, eg: Lagunits, Green Flash and others finally arriving in Motown, I am finding it harder and harder to pass those up and drink local.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.