New Beer Sunday (week 489)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Good morning brigadeers of berliner weisse and rapscallions of roggenbier.

[​IMG]
    Today is the day and this is the place for you to TRY a new beer and TELL us about it. Don't hold back in your descriptions. Please bring us your assessments and all your vivid enumerations concerning the beers you will drink today and share them with us. We love your reviews, your pictures, your links to your reviews, to music, to art and to all kinds of world wide mayhem that make you a unique force to be reckoned with today in New Beer Sunday!

Did you know that in addition to the holiday it was @cavedave 's birthday yesterday . I sure did not see him mention that in WBAYDN so I just had to let that cat out of the bag and wish him a belated Happy Birthday. OH! I have eaten too much barbecue and way too many potatoes over this weekend but I also drank too much beer .

I will go back to my diet on Monday after I give Uinta's Sum'r a try. I have to admit that I have enjoyed everything I have had from them. My only complaint is that they changed the name of Hop Notch to Hop Nosh. And why change a great name to a less great name? I mean you used to be able to say Hop Notch is top notch but now . . . Hop Nosh is posh?

Let get down to business people! Cheers and Happy New Beer Sunday!

This song is for all the BA's who "do" the shower beer.

GRPunk, 2beerdogs, Prager62 and 24 others like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,604) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

***New Milk/Sweet Stout Sunday!!!

G'day Maria and to all of the NBS faithful!

It's a balmy 72F here in Casper, expected to reach a high of 92. It's back to the 80s for the next few days.

Yeah, I saw that it was cavedave's boithday yesterday. I hope Bill saw my happy birthday wishes on his timeline on FB.

This morning, I drank what I think, is one of MY finds of 2014. Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30923/97563/?ba=Bitterbill

[​IMG]

I already posted the pic on WBAYDN..

Cheers!

GRPunk, 2beerdogs, FanofHefe and 25 others like this.
  3. reaganrvltn

reaganrvltn Initiate (199) May 24, 2014 Georgia

[​IMG]

This weeks New Beer Sunday- Pauwel Kwak

I wanted to get this glass the first time I saw it so today was a great day to try the beer. Thought I would do it right.
    Pouring it into it's glass forms an explosion upwards when it first hits the thin part of the glass. The head seems to last a good while in this glass pushing downward as the beer moves upward. Beautiful head I might add. The beer's aroma is of strong banana and cloves and very sweet. Tastes very sweet, smooth and easy to drink and probably a good beer after a great dinner. I guess I would agree with BA's rating of 85. I very much enjoyed it.

4. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

5. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,685) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

Really cool glass

6. utopiajane

I love those little half yard glasses. That is next on my list of glassware I have to have. Sounds like a great beer :grinning:

7. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Defender (621) Oct 3, 2013 California

Good morning from the west coast! I'm letting the cat out of the bag myself

[​IMG]

So I'm inviting you into my birfday brunch- come on in - it's a super tight squeeze

[​IMG]
    Bacon, Irish Oats- FBS and a Cantillon
    4.5/5 rDev +5.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Small bottle format of this Cantillon bottled in 2013

Appearance: clear red with a pink head that fizzed out rather quickly- hard to look away from it's so bright red

Smell: funk and barrel notes - some fruity notes here too. One dimensional but really good to smell

Taste: sparkling Cherry/raspberry juice with funkiness on the palate as it washes down. Slight bitterness in the waay aftertase I assume are the hops - this beer has everything I want in a wild ale. Fruity not too sour.

Mouthfeel: awesome when cold. Real refreshing and fizzy. Really holds the temp very well.

Overall: I'm stoked to be having this brew for brunch. It pairs well with cheese and other fruits. I'd be down to buy it again as the bottle looks so cool and the tartness inside is soo tasty -

Serving type: bottle

[​IMG]

I have some other stuff lined up for today- me and te wife will be going to medieval times where we will pelt the servers with dinner rolls if they mess up our orders (jk) where I will have lepers refill diet coke

[​IMG]
    I can imagine this is what it looks like in the coolship ^^^

Been a great weekend celebrating USAs birthday. What a great country

Now time for some breakfast stout

[​IMG]

8. utopiajane

Happy Birthday! WooHoo! What a breakfast. :slight_smile:

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,942) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yesterday I bought up a 6-pack of Evil Twin Nomader Weisse (kudos to my wife for ‘finding’ this beer in the beer store). This is my first time drinking this beer.

It is a very pleasant beer to drink on a hot summer day. It has lemony aspects on the aroma/flavor and is low-moderately sour.

It states on the can: Bottled by Westbrook Brewery, SC.

I would recommend this beer to those who enjoy drinking pleasant Berliner Weisse type beers!

Cheers to Evil Twin & Westbrook Brewing!

GRPunk, Bitterbill, woemad and 15 others like this.
  10. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Happy birthday, sir! All the best, and may this be one of many more to come!
    Cheers!

Ozzylizard, kemoarps and Modernrickk like this.
  11. utopiajane

Cheers everyone and please let me show you Uinta's Blonde Ale Sum'r.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy New American Blonde Ale Sunday

I thought this was a good example of the style but I really don't have too much experience with the style except to know that it is similar to kolsch. Malty, this one had a bit of hops. Low hop qualities and only one thing I found a bit confusing. It had a bitterness in the finish that became a tad sharp like the crushed pill bitterness. When I first felt it I questioned if it was astringency because it puckered me a bit. I decided it was bitterness. I also debated whether or not I could detect any fruit qualities in this beer like lemon and every time I thought I did , I changed my mind. It was clean, crisp, malty and a very easy light summer beer with just enough hop floral and sweet grass herbal to keep the palate engaged.

Uinta has had this USDA certified organic. That's a good thing right? I mean I think I once asked the question isn't beer organic by definition and someone replied that organic has to do with the way the ingredients are farmed so it must have some meaning. I like that it says that and call me naive.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/50219/?ba=utopiajane

12. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Happy NBS and Happy birthday to @cavedave and @Modernrickk

I have been enjoying my 4 days off and have one more tomorrow. That will be all until September, but it was certainly welcome. I'm drinking a new beer from Mobcraft, where social media decides what beer will be made at the small brewery. They bottled this before, but it was so popular they brewed another batch and I decided to give it a try.

It is a brown style, but I think it has some porter characteristics in it as well. It has toasted malts, a bit of nuttiness, coffee, tobacco and cola notes. Not too much going in with this, but it has a nice flavor and is enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

13. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

New Tripel Sunday

Greetings to All on this NBS,
    Summer in SCMN with growing heat and humidity. Pretty standard summer stuff, but my garden is still recovering from some neglect (granted), but the excessive rain that beat the tar out of many of the plants and another late spring. Oh well I'll just have to wait longer for the joy of harvesting.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/110146/?ba=garymuchow
    [​IMG]

A nice tripel from Goose Island. I have plenty to do so this one will take awhile to enjoy. I'll get the full experience of warming up a beer.
    Best to all.

14. utopiajane

This i s next on my list to try . So far bothe you and @Bitterbill have said it's good.

Bitterbill, garymuchow and Ozzylizard like this.
  15. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,685) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

Dogfish Head Saison du Buff. Beer brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (as the song goes). And it is herbal to the max with a tart bite on the end. This isn't that new. It has been brewed since 2010 but it was first time I have had it. I grow all of those herbs except the parsley in my herb garden and it smells like I'm standing in it. I should have taken the picture in the herb garden now that I think about it.

[​IMG]

16. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,256) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

My first post in the NBS thread - and guess what? It's also my Birthday today! I'm pleased that it is a beautiful day, sunny and warm but low humidity - the ideal summer day! So I am trying a summer seasonal - Coney Island Brewing's 'Tunnel of Love' Watermelon Wheat Beer.
    Coney Island is a fairly new brewery, and I believe this is only their second bottled beer available in the market. I had their 'Seas The Day' IPA earlier in the year, which was a middle of the road beer.
    This beer pours with a good head, a nice amber color, and a clean, slightly sweet aroma. I got a whiff of melon as I took my first gulp. But the melon taste is very muted, with more of the wheat flavor coming thru, with a lightly bitter finish. The aftertaste is clean. I wish the watermelon flavor was a bit more pronounced, like Hooker's Watermelon Ale, but still it is a nice summer beer that isn't too sweet.
    And I like the graphics on the label & six-pack container! It definitely says SUMMER FUN to me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GRPunk, Bitterbill, jhartley and 24 others like this.
  17. utopiajane

Another NBS birthday! Happy Birthday. This day is shaping up pretty good I'd say. :sunglasses: I would love to try that one as I have never tried a watermelon beer.

kemoarps, Ozzylizard and Premo88 like this.
  18. rorjets

rorjets Meyvn (1,256) Nov 20, 2012 Connecticut

Hooker's Watermelon Ale is the best I've had, and is the only one I have seen in a bottle, although I'm sure there are others out there.

Ozzylizard, Premo88 and utopiajane like this.
  19. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,842) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Greetings, NBSers!

Today, I'm cranking out a brand new beer for me. It's from some very obscure little artisanal craft brewery; you've probably never heard of it. The beer is called Enjoy BW; the full title is Obscure Walz! 'Murican Barleywine, and it was brewed specifically for the 4th of July weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nope, totally not Enjoy By. No no no, not at all.

I diligently cellared this thing until after the "Enjoy After" date, but like most good barleywines, I think some more age could have done it some good. Nonetheless, let's dive into the review.

A - 3.5 Nice head, but it's a little light for a barleywine, even a 'Murican style.
    S - 3.25 Great citrus and tropical hops, but where are the malts??? My god, it's like they completely forgot about them, instead focusing on a hop load!
    T - 2.25 This is simply waaaaay too hoppy. I know English Barleywines are more up my alley than their 'Murican counterparts, but this is like drinking liquid hop juice. Terrible, terrible. I would expect that, with a beer this old, some of that hop punch-in-the-teeth would have faded; boy, was I wrong.
    M - 3.75 The lone bright spot for this beer, and even still, I would have preferred a chewier body. This thing is way too damn drinkable.
    O - 2.75 I just cannot in good conscience recommend this beer. Maybe if it was brewed and bottled as a DIPA, designed to be enjoyed fresh. Then again, since I let it sit a whole 5% past the recommended minimum aging period, I can't imagine how it would have tasted fresh! Must have been damn near undrinkable!

Cheers, NBSers; I promise I'll be back with an actual new beer later.:grinning:

#19 Roguer, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  20. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,350) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

21. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,011) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

thanks to Utopiajane for starting us off and happy birthdays (belated and otherwise) to cavedave, modernrickk and rorjets!

oh ... and that half-yard is awesome -- as is the Uga shot -- of reaganrultn's. cool stuff!

on to the beer:

[​IMG]

Firestone Walker is becoming a favorite of mine. Pivo Pils alone makes me :grinning:.

DBA is OK. It's not the greatest English pale ale of all time, but the oak-barrel thing is present and interesting ... different.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/5653/?ba=Premo88

one thing about DBA: it DOES look like an English pale. Fantastic colors and clarity.

[​IMG]

excuse that condensation ... it's hot and humid down here in Tejas

[​IMG]

Classic off-white/beige head.

Cool brew. Not greatest ever, but if you want some easy-to-drink wood notes, DBA's the thing.

Keep posting all the great stuff, BAs ... and cheers!

22. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

[​IMG] Good afternoon fellow NBS'ers and Happy Birhday to @cavedave & @Modernrickk
    Well today is my 4th of July since I've worked the past 2 days :slight_frown: I started out doing all my yard work this weekend cause my birthday is next Sunday. My wife's taking me to either two roads brewing or beer'd havnt decided yet? Either way I'm packin up my cooler for a picnic, while some of these aren't new to me, the nebco 668, and dbl trouble I havnt had yet. I'll get back to everyone later on tonite with reviews (I hope )

GRPunk, Premo88, Bitterbill and 10 others like this.
  23. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,350) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good afternoon and good NBS, all you BAs out there. Well, for this NBS, I'm going to add Butternuts Beer and Ale variety pack containing 4, count 'em, 4 new beers (for me). I've already mentioned the Porkslap pale ale (Delicious!) and Snapperhead IPA (Horrible). Today I added Moo Thunder (a very good stout) and Heinnieweisse, a pretty good weisse.

[​IMG]
    The Moo Thunder was very hard to put down (on the table, not my throat) while I was reviewing it. It's really delightful - a flavory, easy drinking stout which BA lists as a milk/sweet stout.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13302/36056/?ba=Ozzylizard Just plain good.

The Heinnieweisse was a delightful weisse which BA classifies as a hefeweissen. I've sort of developed a taste for these after my German Beer for Breakfast week a while ago. Anyway, this is quite flavorable with a nice aroma and appearance, even in my Hard Rock weizen glass from my first trip to the UK.

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13302/28750/?ba=Ozzylizard

I like the fact that the cardboard carton the 12 pack comes in has a package date as well as the individual cans, when legible. Anyway, I can't find Garrattville on my atlas but maybe my GPS will guide me there. Feels like an upcomng road trip.

GRPunk, Premo88, Bitterbill and 19 others like this.
  24. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (176) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

One of these things, is not like the other....

Although, those bud cans make me feel good, I will say

Ozzylizard and kemoarps like this.
  25. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,842) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Go to Beer'd. Two Roads just isn't that great, in my opinion. Plus, Two Roads is the largest brewery in CT (mainly because of contract brewing); Beer'd is a nano. Highly recommended. :slight_smile:

Premo88, Ozzylizard and kemoarps like this.
  26. Homebrew

Homebrew Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Connecticut

The only thing about 2 roads is rhat having a store that sells all their product is I can get a private tour of it. Honestly I was leaning towards beer'd myself, it's kinda closer to me as well, but 2 roads has food trucks !

Ozzylizard, kemoarps and Roguer like this.
  27. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Captain Lawrence Kolsch, I've been wanting to try this beer for a while but had not found it with a recent freshness date until today. The 6 pack was bottled on 06/05/14. Not sure how it rates as a Kolsch but it is a excellent summer beer , light ,full of flavor and very refreshing. A thank you to BA Tango Road who told me it was one of the best American Kolsch's. Guess I will try a German one if I can find one with a freshness date.

28. utopiajane

I see porkslap all the time and I have never bought it but I will now. =) Cheers!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  29. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Have a great birthday cavedave, Modernrickk and rorjets, and a toast to your health!

I'm spending the late afternoon with an Oud Bruin that I have been looking forward to-
    [​IMG]

Bacchus by Castle Brewery (Kasteel), Belgium.

As you can see, not the best looking beer- kind of a murky brown with a quickly disappearing head. Appearances aren't everything, though, especially in this corner of the beer world. The aroma is very mellow, but I get dried fruits, a touch of leather, dark brown sugar, and an overall Orange Brandy quality (kind of like Cointreau). It could definitely use some more punch, but is pleasant nonetheless.

The palate is kind of the same way- needs a little zip. There is a definite sour presence, but it only goes to 7. The flavors are more earthy, and the dark sugar dominates. The balance and mouthfeel are right where they should be, and it's quite easy to drink, but would be helped by some more complexity of flavors. As it is, the BA score of 83 seems about right. The key word seems to be 'pleasant', where 'memorable' is unfortunately what the price commands. Under the right circumstances I could see knocking a few back, though.

GRPunk, Premo88, Bitterbill and 19 others like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,942) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I had Captain Lawrence Kolsch for the first time about a week ago and I enjoyed drinking it. It is a refreshing beer and to my palate it had a slight whiff of SO2 which I personally enjoy. While I personally would not classify this beer as being a Cologne (Koln) style Kolsch I really enjoyed drinking it nonetheless.

The Kolsch style in a delicate style IMHO so you need to obtain fresh bottles (or preferably on draft) of German (Cologne) brewed Kolsch beers. If you can find fresh versions of Gaffel, Reisdorff or Fruh they are a joy to drink.

My personal solution to obtaining fresh Cologne (Koln) type Kolsch beers is to homebrew them.

Cheers!

31. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (3,442) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I think you will like it. It warms up quite nicely, so give it some time.

utopiajane likes this.
  32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,114) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stone's Stochasticity Project Quadrotriticale (<-- my review; Stone's webpage for it)

Loved Grapefruit Slam :grinning:; Varna Necropolis never made its way out here :slight_frown:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I actually really liked it. I don't drink quads often - it's just a heavy, sweet, boozy thing - and that's not a go-to kinda drink for me. My favorite quads, easily, are St. Bernardus Abt 12 and Pannepot (and all its various incarnations)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most recently, as in, last night and earlier this afternoon, I had Firestone Walker's Stickee Monkee...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ...a boozy (13.4%), syrupy-sweet barrel-aged quad - but I preferred the Quadrotriticale :wink:
    Little more hoppy/herbal/spicy... Lighter in feel; less boozy. Different flavor profile.

Meanwhile... I think I'm going through pale ale withdrawal. All I had on deck today was two quads and an Imperial stout (Mexican Cake :sunglasses:) - great beers, but I'm jonesing for hops! :stuck_out_tongue: Aaarrghh!

Still diggin' on these three bands:

Kvelertak

Skambankt

Mastodon

Cheers, NBS! :grinning: Hope your new beers are good to you!

GRPunk, Premo88, 2beerdogs and 29 others like this.
  33. Ri0

Society

By the time I post these, my beer is practically gone...
    I find this farmhouse to be quite yeasty with a pleasant amount of peppery spice. The earthiness works well with the floral hops to add a subtle bitterness. Hints of citrus and wet grass are also found in the taste. I'm not sure why the rating is so low on here, but I believe this has not been bottled in a few years.
    [​IMG]

GRPunk, Premo88, 2beerdogs and 16 others like this.
  34. utopiajane

I too really like the Captains Kolsch as it is literally one of the very few choices in the style on the shelf. It has a great flavor and is fun to drink. I like gaffel and reisdorf and recommend those also.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,879) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Captain Lawrence does remind me more of Gaffel, with a slight toastiness to the malt finish, so that would be a great one for @dennis3951 to move on to next. The Reisdorff is lighter and more delicate, with kind of a doughy malt quality.

36. Ri0

Society

Great pics n all, but you forgot the snack plate! That is what I always look forward too in NBS from you! :grinning:

37. Greywulfken

Society Trader

lol :rolling_eyes:

Hey, man - lol - I'm just drinking - disappointing, eh? :stuck_out_tongue:

I did a shitty job at the grocery store this weekend. Ugh. Wanted to emulate @jhartley's cordon bleu wraps, but utterly failed.
    I went with naan instead of what? tortillas? I dunno what the hell they're called - and the chicken I got was kinda funky - so I tossed it - I'm a finicky fucker - anyway, closest I got (yes, I took pics - lol) was these "ham and swiss naan pinwheels"...
    [​IMG]
    Tasted alright and all, but not epic :flushed:

Bonus points: check out many food and beer pairings and pics in the Sharing your Pairing thread in the Beer & Food Section of the forums :wink:

Listening to this while posting... :sunglasses:

#37 Greywulfken, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    GRPunk, Premo88, 2beerdogs and 11 others like this.
  38. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

Gutted tag Meisters of the Maibock!
    Never thought I'd be into the Gose craze until I got the Westbrook Gose, which I received as an extra and loved.
    Then I tried the Anderson Valley Gose, which is easily accessible for me here in NorCal. I have at least one of these a night, typically as soon as my bag hits the floor in my living room.
    As I was sitting in bed this morning, I realized that I didn't have any new beers for NBS!
    Hopped on my bike, banged out 30 miles and grabbed this.
    [​IMG]
    While still good, the nose and flavors seem less noticeable than my previous two Gose attempts.
    Less saltiness and spice, both in nose and taste.
    If nothing else, I was able to participate in NBS and try something that used to be out of my comfort zone.
    Prost!!

GRPunk, Premo88, 2beerdogs and 19 others like this.
  39. utopiajane

Your dedication should be emulated by all! :grinning:

Ozzylizard, woemad and kemoarps like this.
  40. Greywulfken

Society Trader

I love this pic! I wanna swim in it! (and drink it at the same time - duh!) :rolling_eyes:

Happy b'day, too, man! :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.