New Beer Sunday (week 489)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by utopiajane, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Hello NBSers,

Today's offering? Three Heads Brewing's Bromigo poured into an oversized red wine glass. A sweet smokiness, paired with a touch of nuts, caramel, butterscotch, and from the hop profile- a little flora. I definitely taste the maple, more apparent when the beer warms a bit from the ice-cold sip I had at first. Nice deviation from my standard fare. Did I mention I've actually been on a Pilsner kick, eschewing the goze craze and the ipa mania? Recent indulgences include The Wright Pils (Great Lakes), Lagunitas Pils, Brooklyn's Pilsner, and ST's Krampus. Whoa! 9.3% on that last one. I didn't look until after I finished my bomber, and two double bourbons. No wonder I woke up with a headache this morning.

And since I like the idea of posting songs and videos- here's a cover of one of my favorite artists. The kicker? The is one guy who decided to cover every instrument (and the vocals) for the song. Enjoy.

2. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I've seen Gaffel on the shelf but could not find a freshness date so I passed.

3. JMS1512

JMS1512 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Great beer, as I put up recently. Great band (Mastodon). Colony of Birchmen, anyone? Maybe SweetWater Brewing Co. could do a beer called Colony of Beermen? Picture it- wild ale aged on birch staves.

Greywulfken likes this.
  4. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2014 New York

Trying my bomber of Long Trail Culmination from their Brush and Barrel series today. I believe this was brewed in the later months of 2013 so it has maybe half a year on it.

I like this one. Its not a sweet chocolate porter, but rather a nice bitter cacao. It just sits there in the aftertaste, literally feels like cacao powder. There is some roastiness to balance as well. Very well crafted with the cacao. I didnt have the first installment of this series (imperial pumpkin), but this one might get me to try the third installment (saison).

Cheers

5. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

. . . And now for the New Beer Sunday news . . .

I WANT that box of beer! :grimacing:

[​IMG]

I heard this just came out and I thought it would be nice to add a little variety to the NBS posts with different features like mentioning a new release if we know about it. What do you think? yes/ no?

#45 utopiajane, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  6. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,535) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

A beautiful Sunday here in New England, Red Sox notwithstanding. As we struggle through the late innings it is New a Saison Sunday for me. Stone Saison after a late lunch of smoked chicken thighs...tasty vittles.

The beer, well, poured a little cloudy gold color with a nice, white foam head. Moderate lacing. Not too bready, sort of vaguely spicy on the nose. The taste...hmmm...it is light, sort of refreshing, very dry. Lemony, vaguely spicy, an almost metallic taste in there somewhere, and a lingering, peppery aftertaste that is getting pepper-ier as the dryness really kicks in. Not bad, but I am not really diggin it either. It seems a bit jumbled up to me. Lots of lemon, lots of pepper after the fact. Not getting anything herbal or floral from this. Seems a near miss to me. Hits on the light and refreshing, a let down on the flavor. But would ya look at that...the Sox got themselves an inning going... Too bad they dug themselves a five run hole with Pony League defense...

Soldier on, fellow Sunday Sultans of Suds!

7. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,806) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

OK, you have my attention. I love Opeth, I love The Lotus Eater, and I'd love to cover any Opeth song from all instruments. Never going to get there from a guitar standpoint (simply not that talented), and I need a lot of work on death growls (they're not as easy as they look!), but what a friggin cool dude for banging it out.

Note: if that's 100% legit, his mixing is phenomenal - as are his death vocals! Love high quality shows like that - like the vocalist who recently covered Dark Horse in 20 different styles (from Type O Negative to Queen to Katy Perry herself):

*I know it's not beer-related, but it's badass. Exemption granted? :rolling_eyes:

8. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

So far, Culmination was rather disappointing for me, but that's after having the Imperial Pumpkin (porter?). The entire series has been very, very good. Long Trail is criminally overlooked, as everyone tends to really only think of Long Trail Ale, instead of the very excellent Brush And Barrel series, the Brown Bag series (including Double Bag, now on tap), and of course, Limbo.

Ozzylizard, lic217 and utopiajane like this.
  9. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,246) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

No reviews this week, but some new brews and a new pub.

Blue skies and temps in the 80's in the U.P. made for nice weather made for great weather for a family trip to the park, swimming at the hotel, and a cookout upcoming. Took a break to hit up the local brewery.

Hit up Keweenaw Brewing with my Brother-in-law while my wife took the kiddos for a visit with family (love you honey). I feel like I'm stealing at this place, some of cheapest pints I've seen in a long time. A few new beers today, but I don't feel I can do a full review on a sample. The hefe definitely stood out as a solid American interpretation of the style.

[​IMG]

10. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

As noted earlier, I didn't have any NB's for NBS, so had to seek some out.
    Figured that after 30 miles, why only grab one NB when I can grab two...
    [​IMG]
    Really didn't know what to expect. Was hoping for something akin to Aventinus, which this is, albeit a watered down version.
    Meh, at least I got to try another new beer/style.
    Go Giants!!

11. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Good evening NBSers! I'm presenting you with an actual new beer this time around. :wink:

This beautiful black brew is Jurata, a collab between Cigar City and Coronado.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very tasty Baltic Porter; I split it with the wife, and she loved it immediately. I'm a little more on the fence; I'll see what it does at it slowly warms. Huge notes of roasted barley with a lager's drinkability; certainly nothing bad going on here. If I have one complaint, it's that it's slightly dull; there's nothing it does that really stands out.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2447/112346/?ba=Roguer
    3.71 / -1.1%

Cheers, NBSers!

12. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,262) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Greetings fellow NBSers! Traditionally, Summer starts July 5th here in the Fourth Corner, but the last 2 days have been cloudy with highs around 70. It's supposed to clear off starting tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that. On the Fourth of July we had beer fest in town that would have made @cavedave proud; a canned beer fest, put on by ReSources, a local operation that repurposes and reuses all variety of materials. The brewery I help out at is a big supporter, and I helped ReSources volunteers set-up the event, poured beer throughout the even, and did the teardown as well. I worked from 7:30a to 1am. Need less to say, I was a very tired puppy yesterday. I'm not as young as I used to be.:wink:

Question: How come Barbie never got pregnant?

Answer: Because Ken came in a different box! :grinning:

One of my locals had 18 of their 22 taps filled with beer from Pelican Brewing, so I had several choices for NBS. I was a bit surprised that I had to add this beer to BA:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1304/128078/?ba=beertunes

And, since we had a joke of the day, how about a funny song?

13. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,961) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

NEW ALTBIER SUNDAY

Hey all, hope everyone is enjoying their NBS. Had a great afternoon with my mom celebrating her upcoming 70th birthday. We went to see Les Miserables at the Fulton Opera House. What a fabulous prodiction! Top flight performances all the way around.

I let her pick our lunch destination naturally. Great mom that she is she picked our local Iron Hill brewpub'

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6045/121647/?ba=DIM

78 different beers I've tried there, wow! Cheers!

14. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

New Trade Coffee Stout without the Stout.

Ok, I received this beer a few days ago. Figured why not wait until NBS to try it out. Courtesy of @SomethingClever

[​IMG]

Thank You!

This seems to be my least favorite Modern Times brew. Don't get me twisted I'd drink it again, it's just not that great.
    The aroma and visuals are Outstanding. I mean I could smell this beer all day long! Coffee, chocolate and roasted barley complexity. The mouthfeel is meh. Not so great. Well for more details look right here.

Cheers New Beer Sundayers!

15. Hopgoddess312

Hopgoddess312 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 Colorado

Hello NBSers and greetings to our most gracious hostess on this sultry summer day @utopiajane! I've got two newbies to share with you all today.

First up is Hopfentea, a collab between Perennial and what is arguably Chicago's greatest beer bar Hopleaf. Aptly described on the label as a Berliner Weisse on an island run--it's wheaty but with a very distinct and pleasant punch of tropical flavors. A lovely pinkish-orange color, it definitely has a fruity tea aroma with a little muskiness lurking underneath. It has a very gentle tartness to it at the finish. Weighing in at 4.2% ABV with a crisp finish, I must say it is quite refreshing on this warm summer's day. It was the perfect quaff for my midday weeding chores! Definitely something outside of my usual choice, but a big thumb's up. Grab it if you see it. Not that it changes the taste of the beer, but I have to say how lovely the label is--the beer is as pretty as it looks!
    [​IMG]

Next is FFF's Apocalypse Cow. Fresh as all hell, bottled on 7/2. This beer starts out as so many FFF's brews do with a mind and palate blowing levels of hop aromas and bitter flavors, but then it takes this crazy detour with a lactose milk sugar tang that makes you kind of sit up and pay attention. I'm actually not sure if I like it or not, but it is definitely keeping me on my toes, which toes, I might add, are increasingly wobbly as I ingest what I think is the 11% ABV.

[​IMG]

I cannot be the only one who thinks this label is highly reminiscent of this "apocalyptic" work by Picasso!

[​IMG]

16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

17. Shroud0fdoom

I liked AC from 3Floyds. There was a nice leafy tobacco finish mixed with citric bitterness. I could easily recommend that brew.

18. Hopgoddess312

Yes, tobacco finish is quite a good descriptor for this! It is quite unique, that is for certain.

19. utopiajane

That hopffen tea is a gorgeous looking beer. Our first work of art here on NBS! :wink: And I think you're right it does.

20. Hopgoddess312

I nearly forgot to acknowledge your @utopiajane most excellent musical tribute to the beauty and wonderment that is shower beer!

kemoarps and utopiajane like this.
  21. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,823) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

<Argh! One finger slips while finishing typing my post and "poof" - post magically disappears! SO, once more, with feeling (not to mention dexterity...)>

Greetings, fellow NBSers,

Happy Birthday and near-Birthday to all the boys & girls it applies to, with a special shout out to Cavedave. Hopefully your medically mandated beer stand-down is at an end, but if not, I will expect an excellent birthday beer has been added to the on deck circle when you are back to beer drinking.

Right now it's 90 degrees and partly sunny in the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis. Hopefully everyone had a good 4th. I had to work, but we put together a decent BBQ there (though it was slightly incongruous grilling hamburgers and sausages in the morning) I watched the Official City Fireworks display in Riverfront Park from my living room, as I had previously agreed to fill in at work Saturday morning and needed to stumble out of bed at 5.

Today I'm going with a PNW IPA from a brewery I might be able to see from my home, if I-90 had never been built:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34277/128048/?ba=woemad

Decent, but it was also the only one of three IPAs from this brewery that didn't have diacetyl issues when I sampled them. I really want to support what is practically a neighborhood brewery, but if they want to survive in the increasingly saturated local beer scene, they really need to up their consistency.

Cheers!

22. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,910) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All and Happy Independence Day (weekend) from the Great Northwest.

Today it is Armory XPA from the fine Folks at Deschutes, of Bend, Oregon.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/59921/?ba=RJLarse

A very good pale ale, but as I said in the review, among the Deschutes family it is better than the year around offering Mirror Pond but not as good as the seasonal Red Chair. Honestly I don't know why Mirror Pond is still around. I'd have made Red Chair the flagship APA years ago. But the Armory XPA would also be a grand successor to Mirror Pond..

Sunny and seasonal here in the Columbia Basin. Temps in the upper 80's humidity in the lower 20's. I'll take it.

Until next week,

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

23. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I disagree. For me, Mirror Pond defines the style of Pale Ale. It's the beer I drink when I just want a beer.

2beerdogs and TongoRad like this.
  24. kingston2

kingston2 Disciple (376) Sep 14, 2008 Pennsylvania

Was a day early but had Voodoo Cowbell Imperial Oatmeal milk stout on nitro yesterday. Label me IMPRESSED!! Thick and creamy and perfectly balanced between sweet chocolate notes with mild toasty notes as well. For me, it is the single best milk stout I have ever had. To bad not bottled.

GRPunk, 2beerdogs, Bitterbill and 7 others like this.
  25. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

26. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

New Helles Lager Sunday

Happy Borthdays to cavedave, modernnick, and rorjets, and happy NBS to all.

Hope everyone enjoyed the 4th festivities. What a great American holiday!

Southern CT continue use to be awesome weather wise after Arthur turned out to be a miss.

Lots of good brews and fine glassware on the thread today.

I picked up this PA lager from an awesome canning brewery last weekend:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10397/29773/?ba=CHADMC3

If you're valuing this for its style I would say its grossly underrated and an awesome session able brew. More love to Lagers.

[​IMG]

27. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Time for another beer before I start vacation (Monday afternoon, here I come!). This one is Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale.

[​IMG]

Thanks beer store for aging this more than 2 years for me!

[​IMG]

...or perhaps not. It's pretty flat, but not quite dead.

Pretty tasty, all things considered. It wasn't amazing, that's for damn sure, but it was good enough that I'm glad I grabbed a four pack, and even if all four are flat, I'll certainly try it again. It's got promise.

That said.....

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/24905/?ba=Roguer
    3.59 / -10.5%

Yeowch! I simply do not see this beer as anywhere near a 4.0....as of this moment. We'll see how I feel if I have a bottle with decent carbonation, or try it fresh. Again, it's got enough promise that I think it could be outstanding, but this particular bottle is far from.

Still, it's more than good enough to finish off.

Back onto Porcupine Tree. Cheers, NBSers!

"My David, don't you worry,
    This cold world is not for you.
    So rest your head upon me;
    I have strength to carry you."

28. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (996) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

What's up NBS, spent my day in the sun, at a little bday party, and now I'm home getting ready for Monday so I'm staying on the lighter side.

Grey Sail's Flying Jenny an extra pale ale from Rhode Island. It's a pretty straight forward light and hoppy ale. Very smooth on the finish with very little bitterness. No canning date but they use Columbus, tomahawk, and zeus hops. The spice and citrus that they go on to describe is very subtle if at all. A light easy drinking pale ale with not much flavor that is not worthy of an 87 ba ranking imo. I would put it in the low 3's all around,
    [​IMG]

29. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,265) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Only my second ever post here. Decided I need to try and contribute more as I'm always sampling new things and should share my experience with the community.

Got this in a gift box for Christmas, and it got buried in my beer cellar.

Pours a dark brown with one finger head. Aroma is caramel, dank wood, faint bourbon. Taste is caramel, brown sugar, with faint bourbon notes. A bitter almost sour aftertaste which may be from the bourbon oak spirals it's aged on. It tastes better as it warms. In all, it's not terrible, just seems like a rushed interpretation of something that could have had potential. Decent enough, but glad it wasn't bought with my money.

30. utopiajane

I am so glad you decided to join us over here on sundays :grinning:

31. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

I love that beer! Granted, my rating is a 3.61, so it's not exactly off the charts, but it's easily the best beer I have on tap on base. Very easy, very enjoyable, hoppy, with a nice overall malt backbone. Nothing outstanding, but drinkable and enjoyable.

32. ONUMello

ONUMello Poo-Bah (2,562) Feb 24, 2009 Ohio
    Society

This was definitely a good weekend, particularly since my brother got married yesterday :slight_smile: We introduced many out of town guests to Great Lakes' beers at the reception. New Beer Saturday for them :wink:

Today onto a collaboration IPA I've had sitting around for a short while
    [​IMG]
    Not a whole lot to say other than it's very solid, as would be expected from these two breweries. Very straightforward but well-made as far as IPAs go, with a nice herbal touch frequently absent depending on the hops used.

Edit to note that I didn't realize until after I made the initial post this is the perfect beer to drink the day following the wedding as the sunburst colors match their wedding colors perfectly except for the blue here is a bit darker. Awesome coincidence.

33. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,337) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Good stuff - if nothing else, the can's a hoot!

34. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,110) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

New Ohio English Barleywine Sunday

Late NBS for me as working got in the way. Picked up what is only my 2nd beer from Jackie O's, as it is a terrible drive down that way and they just recently started to distribute 'round these parts. This one was worth the wait.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pours a very dark ruby brown with very little head. Smell is world class. Caramel, brown sugar, toffee, bread. Just fantastic. The taste doesn't quite hold up to the aroma. The alcohol overpowers the flavor just a bit. It is still super outstanding though. You would swear that this is barrel aged too, but no mention thereof. I think this beer is just a hair away from being world class. I take into consideration that I really enjoy this style, but it if someone told me it was the Sucaba base I would believe them. Great English to wrap up a great weekend. 4.4 http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1432/84565/?ba=WesMantooth
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. BourbonJersey

BourbonJersey Aspirant (241) Jan 18, 2014 New Jersey

I'm ashamed of what I might do for this box of beer.

36. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Well the next time you homebrew one let me and I'll enjoy it with you!

utopiajane likes this.
  37. Shroud0fdoom

I've had two Jackie O's brews and both were above par!

WesMantooth likes this.
  38. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,210) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

The holiday weekend is coming to a close, so what better time for a new beer?

Tonight, I went with Black Betty from Nebraska Brewing. I picked this up in Kansas City a few weeks back since I always enjoy trying new stouts especially barrel aged and bottle conditioned. Lots of whiskey flavors and aromas on this one, but a tad one dimensional. If the coffee and chocolate notes were more pronounced, this would be a slam dunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16504/55229/?ba=richj1970

39. SABERG

SABERG Poo-Bah (2,665) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Good NBS to all, this has been a great weekend. I hope you all enjoyed yours.
    Finished the day out with Grassroots Brother Soigne. A superb saison.
    Read the earlier review of the Jackie O's they do a great job, and are great guys.
    Happy birthday to the aforementioned BA's.

Cheers all

4.46/5 rDev +1.1%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the most recent release 05/2014 into a modified tulip.

A - Beautiful color, deep straw, carbonation dances into a wonderful rich froth.
    Lacing completes the picture, fine and thorough.
    S - Fresh citrus, lime, and blood orange as advertised, a touch of funky barn, ever so slight. The nose continues as the beer warms into sweet and sour lime. Ever so enticing.
    T - Wonderful tart snap to begin, then fine malt with a tease of refined hops. This is incredibly refreshing. Finishes with a wonderfully tropical, feel.
    M - The mouth is coated but lightly as the carbonation with the lime and blood orange to balance the experience. Medium bodied but delicate to say the least.
    O - The finest of the saison's I have had this year. The citrus, house yeast, perfect carbonation blend into a fantastic creation.
    I hope this becomes one of their permanent portfolio.

Cheers

Serving type: bottle

07-07-2014 01:47:54

40. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,532) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Contributing my #2400 review to NBS. Very nice overall. Taste of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, raisin, prune, vanilla, toast, toffee, oak, bourbon, pine, grass, and bourbon/oak earthiness. Moderate pine/grassy bitterness on the finish. Well integrated bourbon barrel notes with the dark/roast malts and fair amount of pine/grassy hops. Very enjoyable and well balanced flavors, but not too impressive. Definitely a nicely enjoyable brew though. No booze, good carbonation, and fairly creamy and very smooth for the ABV. 11/2011 bottled. 3.8/5
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.