New Beer Sunday (week 590)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,776) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Can't believe I have never reviewed this beer from Bells. Hazy burnt orange body with 2.5 finger white head. Fades quickly and leaves webbed lacing on my glass. A soft rye scent with a sweet citrusy aroma. Orange, grapefruit, and pine hops with a caramel malt. The rye flavor is rather soft and pleasant, but still has a spice to it. Hops are citrusy, orange, grapefruit, along with pine. Malts are sweet caramel. Finish is bitter. Soft carbonation and medium feel. Dry and spicy on the finish. Easy drinking and delicious APA.

[​IMG]

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 24 others like this.
  2. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,742) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

New Old Ale Sunday

Happy NBS everyone! It seems like a nice day out here in Central Ohio, but I've been inside most of the day watching the Euro 2016 games, and now I'm getting ready for the Copa America games tonight. Just a lazy day for me. I'm taking tomorrow off of work anyways so I'll spend more time outside then. For my first new brew of the day, I just finished a bottle of Avery's Old Perseverance barrel-aged old ale: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/199236/?ba=bluejacket74#review

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought it was pretty good, a nice boozy and sweet brew if you're into old ales. I'll be back on here in a little while with another new beer, one that's just slightly less boozy than this one was. Cheers!

oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 28 others like this.
  3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,880) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

No, and I guess I should have been more clear. I'm near the NY border so I got it in Rockland County. But NJ has Urban Chestnut, which I'm also enjoying a lot.

Premo88, cavedave and smanson56 like this.
  4. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,114) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Speaking of stellar-that is a stellar review. I love that brew and you picked out a few things there that I hadn't even noticed. Nice

5. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

After a long busy day at work, I'm ready to contribute (such as it is) to NBS. My first beer today is from harpoon and just based on the nose as I type this, some will likely find it an abomination.

[​IMG]

Camp Wannamango

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
    American Pale Ale (APA) / 5.00% ABV

3.89/5 rDev +4.9% | Avg: 3.71
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 08/15/2016

L-The beer pours a pale clear orange color. It's a nice looking beer. The head is approximately 2 fingers high, white, and frothy. Lacing is adequate as the head recedes to a thing ring with sporadic islands.
    S- The commercial description lists a "subtle aroma of Passionfruit and Mango. Well they delivered on the Mango and Passionfruit, but subtle is not how I would describe it. It's subtle like a punch in the face. Not bad, but not subtle either. If the taste follows the nose, it'll be like drinking juice.
    T- Thankfully this tastes like beer first and not like the nose suggested. Initially their is some light malt with some mild spicy hops mid palate. The mango comes in shortly there after and lingers to the end. The mango tastes like real mango, but dialed back considerably and the beer doesn't become cloying at all. There's enough mango so you can tell it's there without tasting like juice.
    F- The body of the beer is pretty light, and the carbonation quite prickly. The beer drinks like the summer seasonal that it is intended to be.
    O-I was pleasantly surprised with the execution of this beer. A fruit beer that isn't to heavy on the fruit, but still makes it presence known without tasting artificial. It's not something you're going to want to drink regularly, but I'd totally tip back a couple of these on a hot summer day.

VABA, oldn00b, gopens44 and 28 others like this.
  6. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (8,191) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Picked this new release up from Southern Tier this afternoon and rather enjoying it!

[​IMG]

4.24/5 rDev -5.4%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark, dark brown pour (borderline black hue) with a butterscotch colored creamy layer, very thick lacing.

S - Deep, rich caramel cream aroma, with some chocolate undertones.

T - The alcohol is very noticeable right away and persists throughout. There's some saltiness to the beer but caramel and some dark chocolate (other than the alcohol) dominate. Some light char pokes through, possibly delicate oak tannin.

M - Big bodied, full, some alcohol warming and effervescence on the back end, and lip smacking stickiness.

O - I'd buy this again. "Sorta" in the realm of Southern Tier's infamous Creme Brulee.

I posted this over in the "What Beer Are You Drinking Now" thread, but this was good I wanted to share with the rest of "all ya'alls"! :slight_smile:

This one's for @Premo88 , just got a bunch of these today ...

[​IMG]

#86 jzeilinger, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    oldn00b, gopens44, LeRose and 29 others like this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,918) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Just opened this while watching the second half of the Mariners/Rangers game.

de Garde Anián. As the label says, a wild farmhouse ale aged in an oak tank with fruit added.

Beautiful to behold, tart and crisp, oaky and dry tempered by a fruity sweetness. Really nice balance and super drinkable and refreshing. Another home run from de Garde. Cheers!

[​IMG]

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 21 others like this.
  8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,950) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Ethan, have you ever had a Dirty Hoe: a mix of a Witbier (e.g., Hoegaarden) and a Framboise (e.g., Lindemans Framboise)?

I order this beer cocktail whenever I am in a beer bar and they have these two beers on tap. It is a pleasant and refreshing drink!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

9. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,742) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Oh man I don't think I have laughed so hard!!!

Hey bartender I want a dirty Ho!

Why don't you check the alley behind us!

:slight_smile:

Actually wouldn't that be in correct pronouncing A dirty Who actually? :wink:

That being said I am a bit of a beer and also cocktail purist.. but this has great appeal as a spiked shandy like brew.

The Amer is real delicious, very neat aperitif, I have already done a video for it which I am working on soon for my channel.

That said I now think I want a dirty Ho and am kinda craving one.. :wink:

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,012) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Lucky, all gone up here. Then again we were drinking them at Von Trapp on the deck overlooking Mt. Mansfield a week ago. One of life's better experiences I must say.

11. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,742) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

I just want to take credit for this... yup gonna say it :wink:

smanson56, TongoRad and cavedave like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,012) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

On behalf of the South Mountain crew, thanks man!:slight_smile:

smanson56 and TongoRad like this.
  13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

First new beer: Dogfish Head Biere de Provence

[​IMG]

I could not resist buying a single of this beer. Whenever I had to go to France on a business trip, my boss always had me pick up some wine and some herbes de Provence. I begrudgingly would pick up the items and haul them back to the US. I always wondered if he'd notice if I just bought some wine in NY instead. I always looked high and low for interesting beer in France, but I generally never found much. An amazing coincidence @smakawhat , but I did make a point of having a Picon Biere while there because I love beer and I love a bitter aperitif/digestif. Anyway, cheers to my boss, I raise this Dogfish Head beer to you.

From the brewery website:
    I really really dislike the analogy to "art censorship," but barring my sensitivities, Dogfish would have been better off protesting less loudly. Yvan De Baets famously (well, at least by beer geek standards) stated that, "A saison is not by any means a spice soup," and, "one shouldn't be able to detect [spices] individually." Maybe Dogfish was protesting that idea too.

The beer has lavender, bay leaves, chervil, marjoram, and so on. This beer does indeed taste like a "spice soup." The lavender jumps out at the drinker immediately. I am too ignorant to know what chervil or marjoram taste like. I add bay leaves to my chili when cooking some, but since you can't eat it, I don't even know what it tastes like exactly. I feel like there is actually a very good beer hiding underneath all this stuff. The beer is shockingly drinkable given the alcohol and spice. It's a lovely amber color (amber as in the common usage... not the color beer drinkers typically refer to). Any saison characteristics or yeast character have been swallowed up by the spice. I think it's even a little bit of a stretch to call this beer a saison as opposed to a spiced beer.

I saw that @TongoRad reviewed this last week and @cjgiant reviewed it this week. I skipped their reviews so as not to bias myself and am eager to check back to see what they thought.

Second new beer: Bell's Hopsoulution

[​IMG]

If I posted this notion in another thread, I think the idea would be the object of ridicule, but I think Bell's has one of the best lineups of pale ales around. From Oatsmobile, to Amber, to Midwestern, to Two Hearted, and the imperials. Hopsoulution falls into the last category and it doesn't disappoint. It's a dark amber color. The beer fits its classification perfectly and tastefully - alcohol, malt, and hops. It has a citrusy quality. Malts, body and alcohol give a strong foundation. It's somewhat dry all things considered. It doesn't reinvent the category because it's confident that it doesn't need to.

Third new beer: Anchor Meyer Lemon Lager

[​IMG]

Anchor came out with a line of fruit flavored beers. When I realized it was more than just one beer in this family, my first thought was, "Oh dear." I have a lot of respect for Anchor and some love for their beers. Lately, I've found myself not clicking with their beers as I've done in the past. This is due to their house character, which to me comes across like a dirty banana. When this flavor pops, I do not like their beer, when it's hidden, I love some of their offerings. I tried their Mango Wheat beer and let's just say that this wasn't a beer designed for me. The lemon lager was much more suited to my tastes. It's refreshing. My wife liked it (I think). This beer was well balanced. Nothing was screaming for attention (which is surprising given the lemon addition. Another surprise: this beer has Cluster hops. I was still getting that house character, but it was subdued. I don't know if this character is a result of the yeast, but I get it in their beers that use their ale yeast and the beers that use their lager yeast. Is my reaction more psychosomatic than actual? Could be. The can art is unique and very attractive... even as a big departure, it's still somehow fitting with the brand.

Cheers!

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 26 others like this.
  14. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,114) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I was reading earlier and you were speaking of the Dunkel and the "exacting" nature of the style: Have you had Neumarkter Lammsbrau Dunkel? For my tastes, this beer hits all the "good" spots. I love the roasty/creamy interplay, the crispness, and simply the looks of it!

15. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,266) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Hey gang, I'm back for another and a interesting trip down memory lane with my next beer. I picked up the Fat Tire and Friends 12 pack when I was in Michigan last weekend. It was something I was searching for as Fat Tire was one of the beers that got me on the path to better beer. It seems like it was yesterday when Bill the bartender at Lonigan's in Estes Park Colorado poured me a sample back in the early 90's. It was love at first taste and my quest for drinking better began in earnest!

Enough backstory, let's pop the crown on the Fat Hoppy version brewed in collaboration with Firestone Walker. A twelve ounce bottle with an Enjoy By code of 16 OCT 16 and the abv. listed at 6.0%. Let's pour this mystery in my New Belgium snifter for the unveiling.

Pours a clear light amber color leaving a small amount of quickly settling white foam. The smell is passionfruit heavy with some pineapple, floral, and butyl notes. The taste is juicy passionfruit, solid floral notes, pineapple and butyl. Feel is slick but rather thin with a slightly bitter and semi dry finish.

[​IMG]

A very interesting and juicy hop version that bears no resemblance to the original. The biscuity-nutty flavor is squelched in a sea of hop resin. The color is a lighter shade as well. In all, a tasty albeit completely different spin on the old classic. I like it and can't wait to try the rest. My score was 3.98 / rDev -0.7%.

[​IMG]

I drank this one along side the original included in the pack for comparison. It was a fun trip down memory lane and worth the price of admission. Thanks Bill wherever you are for starting my education! Here's the scorecard.......

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/217618/?ba=Prager62#review

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 24 others like this.
  16. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Despite living in a bordering state, this is my first West Virginia beer.

Hellbender from Bridge Brew Works

[​IMG]

Massive, erupting, billowing beige head. At one point I poured enough to make a muffin top but I did get a picture of the swirly foamy top.

[​IMG]

So other than massive head, it's dark and opaque.

Nice piney hops are almost muted by an almost anise maltiness.

Taste is fairly all over the place. Starts out with that anise thing, quickly moved along to what can only be described as sacharin sweetened corn syrup and finished in a patch of molasses covered rye.

It's a little bad but a little good as well. It's got an intriguing quality but again, It's a little all over the place.

Premo88, oldn00b, LeRose and 20 others like this.
  17. TongoRad

Society Trader

Thanks for the reminder- that one has been on my list for a while now. It probably always slips my mind at the store because most places keep the organic beers separate and I never seem to make it to that section. I'll just have to make it my #1 priority next time. Cheers!

rgordon likes this.
  18. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,725) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hey NBSers! Wanted to try something different, and this has been in the fridge for two months since my wife bought it at the Field Museum. That's where she gets her favorite, Tooth and Claw Lager (yes, they sell craft beer in museums in this town). This is called WARI.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a corn, pepper, and berry beer, a single batch release from Off Color with an over 1300 year old recipe Field Museum scientists provided.
    It's a hazy red with little carbonation. Very fruity smell with a strong lactobacillus scent. Between that and the taste, it reminds me of a fruit sour. Tart strong berry presence with very little spiciness (there's no pepper listed on the label, but two of the articles I read about it list it in the ingredients). Very mouth watering beer, alcohol is slightly there in the scent and taste, refreshing and easy to drink.
    A: 4 S: 4.25 T: 4.5 F: 4.25 O: 4.25 rating 4.34

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 22 others like this.
  19. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,427) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

Oskar Blues Beerito Mexican Lager
    Vienna Lager - 4.0%

[​IMG]

3.45/5 rDev -7.5%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This has been a rough weekend for all like myself living in Orlando. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Canned date of 5/16/16 printed on the bottom of the can.

12oz can poured into a pint glass. The aroma is biscuity malts and hints of hops. The taste is a rather clean lager with toasted malts and a mild hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Overall, a solid Vienna Lager that is a solid sessionable beer at a modest 4%. This is a perfect tailgating/outdoor beer in my opinion.

Premo88, oldn00b, gopens44 and 21 others like this.
  20. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,434) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I agree "art censorship" is a bit of a hyperbole, but I think DFH beers are often not meant to really fit a style. Fitting into classic style guidelines is rarely Sam's goal - so I could see him effectively "protesting" both.

If you get a chance to go back and read my 1.5 reviews, I definitely thought this as well at first - and I think I was actually fairly close to your impressions, generally speaking. But I came to think the spice didn't fully drove the beer as much as I did at first - there was a certain presence of what I perceived as the base beer throughout. That said, I would agree one should probably go into this beer thinking it's an herb beer with a saison base versus an herb-accented saison.

woemad, zid and TongoRad like this.
  21. TongoRad

Society Trader

The spiciness comes across as mostly yeast-driven to me, but I also seemed to get more of a concentrated fruit quality than either of you did. After a few more, I still find that the sauternes quality is the dominant one to me.

As always, though, it's great to see other people reviewing the same beer. There's usually some things in common, and some things not so much.

22. cjgiant

Society

I think I was seeing it a little more like you did on the second one - and that's why I started thinking it was actually a little more balanced than I originally thought, without trying to imply there was a lack of boldness with the various flavors that were in the beer.

TongoRad likes this.
  23. ichorNet

ichorNet Poo-Bah (1,969) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Hello NBSers! This weekend has been quite awesome so far. Attended Novare Res' hosting of SmuttFest featuring a huge amount of Smuttynose Brewing on tap. My favorite of the day was a cask-conditioned version of Finestkind dry-hopped with the ever-polarizing Sorachi Ace hop varietal. Daaaamn, that was good. Perfect use of one of the most unique hops in the world. Ended up also getting some flights w/ friends at the newly-renovated Rising Tide brewery, picked up a four-pack of their re-branded gose (now called Pisces and bearing excellent label art to replace the nondescript one from the first few runs), and then went to a dive-y bar where they surprisingly had some excellence on tap... ended up with a glass of Bissell Lux to round out a great day and evening (despite the annoying bouts of rain).

Woke up today and once again realized I had nothing in my fridge that was new for this most-excellent of days, so I went out and put together a mixed four pack. Not sure I'll get through all of them in the next few hours, but we shall see.

[​IMG]

What the hell is this? Seems like Flying Dog's been doing some more interesting and unique stuff lately (also picked up a single of Tropical Bitch which I may crack into), so why not... I guess. But... Old Bay in a beer? I'm all for local collaborations and whatnot, but this seems silly. Regardless, I very frequently find silly ideas pretty good when all's said and done, if only due to the immense audacity of some of them. This is definitely up there for me, though, let me tell you.

Pours a very clear, straw-golden beer with an everlasting, fluffy white head that laces surprisingly fantastically. This is actually really nice looking. Carbonation seems lively and expressive, and the head just seriously never goes away!

Nose instantly reminds me of some of the funkier, more savory witbiers I've had. Not just "coriander and orange peel" in the nose here; getting a bunch of black pepper, clove and estery goodness as well. In a sense this also has kind of a "tomato sauce" note due to the immense spiciness and slight vegetal qualities, but not really in a bad way. Might pair really well with pasta!

Flavor is pretty much in the realm of witbier or spiced APWA, though the yeast quality seems to lean towards the latter since it's definitely not bottle-conditioned and poured very clear. Instead, the strong and complex spiciness pushes the flavor profile into savory, piquant and weirdly-refreshing directions. The base beer here seems pretty damn well made, actually, but I can't see myself really wanting more than a couple of these. Definitely more something you drink for the novelty than for the quality, but it's not really a bad beer; in fact, it might be better than I anticipated given the concept.

Feel is rather nicely-carbonated with a fairly light body. This is one of those weird beers where the extravagant pour combined with the way it sits in the glass is way better then the rest of my experience with it, though I have to admit it's better than I assumed it'd be, as I honestly expected a clunky spiced ale with a poor base. Instead, I got a rather normal base beer with a reigned-in spice profile that, while sorta weird, didn't challenge me as much as I thought it would. Perhaps some of the ingredients in Old Bay are too subtle, in such minuscule amounts or are lost to the beer-making process, making them hard to truly detect. *shrug*

Now listening to a very well-written technical death metal album from this year, Vale of Pnath - II. Sort of reminds me of a combination of Beyond Creation, (older) Wretched and Necrophagist. Ordered a copy of the CD with an album-art print shirt from their Bandcamp earlier.

#103 ichorNet, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  24. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,114) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Good evening late NBSers and thank you @cavedave for the kickstart. Amid great reviews, stories and beers today of course we have the terrible tragedy. Just when you think it cant any worse than Colorado or Newtown Conn we have this. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this because that would be giving in. Its just hard to fathom someone going out and never coming back due to the obsessions of a gun- toting fanatic. My heart goes to the families. I feel their pain because ive experienced personal tragedy in my life. That being said I'm dedicating this brew to them - time to get happy with beer! because you never know- life is unpredictable. Oh Trilllium how I love thee!!!

Trillium Sunshower Super Saison

The beer pours a hazy gold with a clean white head and some prevalent "world map" lacing. Looks a lot like many of Trilliums offerings.

Aroma is of saison yeast, crusty French bread (haha), grassiness, hay, juicy citrus and citrus blossoms with a touch of fresh herbs.

Taste follows with yeasty goodness- but not overpowering. Lost of grapefruit and orange with a touch of peel, clean grassy hops, spices like white pepper, herbs- like fresh thyme and a clean bitterness that is countered by a touch of sweet wheat.
    This one is 8.5%- scary since there is no trace. Out of the box Super "Saison" it is!

Has that signature pillowy mouth feel with ample carbonation that dries out to a very pleasant bitterness. Very easy to drink this Frankenstein. Its just a combination of things that, as usual, Trillium can pull all together.
    In the end what we have here is a very tasty, well balanced, hoppy, clean easy drinking brew that happens to be a saison due to the yeast used. Another special brew that most likely will get overlooked- like Free Rise and Pot and Kettle and Big Sprang to name a few. I understand why everyone is so focused on their IPAs- they are fantastic. Do yourself a favor next time you see these sitting on the shelf and the IPAs are nowhere to be found pull the trigger. I believe you wont regret it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] NewOldVinylSunday needs no explanation. Penned by Nick Lowe.
    Enjoy your evening and week, and as always thanks for taking the time.

25. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

The funny thing about not "brewing to style," is that the designer of this recipe is just connecting existing dots rather than connecting new dots. He or she is going for something very regional - in this case France (even if the regions aren't the same). I just read your second post and I can really appreciate your observation that de Provence had more of a "classic" saison quality than du BUFF when had side by side. That approach is often illuminating. When reading your posts, I felt like I was reading observations about the same beer that I drank... just done with much more careful observation.
    Yes. I never would have made any connections to wine with this beer... but I also don't have a good frame of reference for that. It's both intriguing and great to read such things.

richj1970, TongoRad and cjgiant like this.
  26. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Poo-Bah (5,742) Jul 4, 2005 Ohio
    Society

New American Double/Imperial Stout Sunday

And for my 2nd and probably last new beer this Sunday, I had a bottle of Avery Tweak: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/56199/?ba=bluejacket74#review

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I liked Tweak a lot, I thought it was a really, really good barrel aged imperial coffee stout! It didn't seem like a 17.5% ABV brew, it drank pretty easy for something that strong. I think this will be my last new beer of the day, although I might drink something else in a little while. I'll try and check back on here later today or tomorrow morning to see what everyone else's new brews are!

27. cjgiant

Society

I think you are very close to reading my mind on this beer. I expected the spice to dominate, and it doesn't. Due to this, on my first few sips of the beer I missed them. I have grown to appreciate this beer once in a while when it's out in the summer.

ichorNet and TongoRad like this.
  28. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,313) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

29. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,211) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Having picked up a couple bottles from Trillium during my recent trip to Boston, I figured Artaic would be a nice choice for NBS this week.

Let me say right off the bat that I'm a big fan of Trillium's IPAs which means that I have a little bias coming into a new beer from them, but at the same time I have pretty high expectations. This beer delivers in spades.

The addition of local raw honey adds just the right amount of sweetness to offset some of the hop bitterness and provides an unexpected soft fluffy mouthfeel. The use of Mosaic hops is evident but in perfect balance. This is a work of art for sure. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30654/169611/?ba=richj1970#review

30. TongoRad

Society Trader

That was a great choice to compare it to Saison du Buff on your second post. There is a fundamental similarity with that beer that I got as well, and also to Matt's Burning Rosids- I guess that's primarily why I focused more on the 'yeast signature' aspect than the spices; it wouldn't surprise me if they all used the same yeast.

Premo88 and cjgiant like this.
  31. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,427) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

SweetWater Brewing Goin' Coastal
    American IPA with pineapple - 6.1%

[​IMG]

3.64/5 rDev -4.2%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle with best before date of 8/21/16 printed on label. Poured into a pint glass. The aroma is immediately fresh citrusy hops with a really nice natural pineapple notes that are not too strong or artificial. The taste is sweet malts up front with a good dose of bitterness in the back end from the hops. Overall, a good IPA that I enjoyed because the pineapple does not overpower nor does it come across as being unnatural.

32. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,559) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Good evening, NBSers. I have a couple of brews in mind on this steamy Minnesota evening. First up, this offering from an iconic brewery that is probably in my Top 3 (and my "Top 3" is actually probably 8 brewers, but still).

[​IMG]

I really enjoy SN and their beers. SNPA is a ubiquitous beer in "our" world, Celebration helped define a genre, and they've literally got a raft of beers that will satisfy most any palate. I picked this up in their "High Altitude" box set last week in Wisconsin, and liked the Chocolate Chili Stout, so I was eager to try this.

It pours a golden copper, a little cloudy, with 2 fingers of slightly off-white head. The aromas feature a little hops and a LOT of toffee aromas. Ruh-roh, Raggie. The hops come forward a bit on the taste, but with a bottled on date of 3/30/16, I believe I may be dealing with a dated beer.

I'm glad I tried it, but I wish I tried it fresher. Rated 3.96.

33. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,965) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Burlington Beer Co. "Future Glow" 3.9%
    Dry Hopped American Table Beer.

First off, I'm not one for session beers.
    That being said, here goes nuthin'!
    Well, actually, it's something, er, rather, less than something?

[​IMG]

Fairly vigorous pour yields a 1/2 inch head which dissipates rather quickly to a ring which, in turn, comes back with a swirl of the glass. Damn if this isn't one of those hazy "New England" (as the kids like to say) IPA/Pale Ales! I like the beer much more than that moniker.

Nose of slight tropical fruit, very fresh smell. Nice!

Taste slightly of grapefruit, easy drinking with a soft bitter finish.

Nice mouthfeel for such a low ABV.

Overall, this is in my top 5 session/table beers. Well done guys!

4.25/4.25/4.25/4.25/4.25

34. StraightNoChaser

StraightNoChaser Poo-Bah (2,313) Oct 21, 2007 Georgia
    Society Trader

35. ichorNet

Society

Seems like "another day, another gose" but I guess I can't really complain since the trend has generally produced better beers than worse ones in my opinion. Even though it's a fruited gose, let's try LT's attempt!

[​IMG]

Pour is uneventful. Quarter-finger of head that lasts for all of a few seconds before fizzling out. Color is like cranberry ginger ale with a slightly copper-leaning hue if held to light. I know lacto can wreck head retention, but I've never seen it demolish foam quite as quickly as in this brew. Disappointing appearance, to be sure.

Nose is definitely cranberry juice with a slight wheat character and a touch of lactic, lemony acidity coming to the fore. Cranberry will probably play well with the tartness here, but we'll see.

Taste follows the nose with a hefty dose of wheat combining with a fairly-strong tang of acid and some juicy cranberry notes. I can also pick up a bit of Concord grape juice and some slight pit fruit notes. Overall, no real faults with this one; I can detect the twist of salt and coriander on the fruited wheat base if I try, and the kick from kettle-souring helps bring some tart qualities to the table but, overall, I can't say I'm really too blown-away by this. It's not bad for what it is, but it's not in the upper echelon. Feel is medium-heavy for the style with a punchy carbonation that admittedly does help back up the tart flavors of cranberry and lacto. Seems to retain its carbonation pretty well over time, which is nice. A bit too hefty for me though.

Glad I only got one. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled by Rising Tide's gose, which is better-built, has no extraneous additions and clocks in at only 3.8% where this is on the strong side at 5.2%, but this is a totally normative lightly-sour fruit-forward beer without much to it. I'm sure it'll do well in the market, but it's not a return drink for me, to be honest.

You know what I will return to (and have many times already this year), though? This shit.

Crushing funeral doom/death metal featuring members of the classic Australian band diSEMBOWELMENT. Torturingly oppressive music. Love it!

#115 ichorNet, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  36. ovaltine

Society Trader

My 2nd offering tonight is from a very underrated (IMHO) Minnesota brewer.

[​IMG]

Fulton does some really cool stuff (Insurrection and 300 are world-class, IMHO), but they fly under the radar vs Surly and Summit. Any chance I get to try their stuff, I take advantage, so when I picked this up in a mixed 6er, I was stoked.

It pours a golden copper, which is darker than most saisons, and due to the rye. The nose have all the saison attributes, and so does the taste - until the rye hits the back of your tongue, which elevates this another notch. I'm gonna have to pick up a 6er of this as a stand-alone for my lawnmower beer with a kick this summer.

Rated 3.98.

37. TongoRad

Society Trader

Next up from the Von Trapp 12-pack is the Helles Lager, following a coin toss that came up (h)heads for (h)helles.
    [​IMG]

The nose is faint, but a bit of swirling coaxes it forward. It hits all of the right notes and avoids all of the wrong ones- mostly rich bready malt, with the slightest accent of spicy noble hops as well as sweet creamed corn (DMS). The palate follows through for the most part, except the DMS is a little more prominent (a feature that I enjoy in this style as long as it's playing a supporting role). Mid palate brings a graham cracker richness, before it finishes dry with a gentle yet clean hit of bitterness. Everything's here, everything that makes these kind of beers so enjoyable, and I really should be loving it; but I'm not. The best words I can come up with at the moment are 'washed out', although that's not precisely the feeling I'm getting. Maybe 'semi-washed-out' is better :slight_smile:. Like I said, it's all there, proportionally correct and everything; but it just needs to be turned up a few notches. I guess I'll just have to keep opening bottles and see where it takes me- I have a feeling this one might get better as you get deeper into a liter. For now, though, a very likeable A- (4.0).

38. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,853) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Back with the aforementioned epic beer from @Ri0 – an “Imperial Black Wheat Coffee Ale – which I cracked open in the 9th inning of the Mariner’s game. At the midpoint of the 8th inning, Mariner fans were in a familiar place…

[​IMG]

Some last minute heroics turned things into a 6-4 heartbreaker instead of a 6-1 debacle, still sadly familiar.

Fortunately I was able to console myself with this:

[​IMG]
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28879/215926/?ba=woemad#review

The only thing wrong with this beer is that it’s in a huge bottle for something so rich and boozy. Otherwise, it’s the perfect dessert beer. Hell, I may not eat dinner at all because of this bad boy. Insanely delicious, and a worthy way to close out my ill-gotten gains from NBS BIF # 3, most of the wreckage from which can be glimpsed below .

[​IMG]

Thanks to @Ri0, and to @SammyJaxxx whose affiliated ninja box contributed to this field of bottle & can destruction. For those of you on the fence for this BIF, y’all might want to reconsider when the call for # 4 goes out.

39. ovaltine

Society Trader

Last one, top the evening off with a desert beer before I grill some brats.

[​IMG]

Okay, this isn't a desert beer, it's a 2 x 4 between the eyes, but the cinnamon flavors make it taste a little bit like a desert beer. And, as it cools down on a glorious Minnesota summer evening, this really hits the spot.

Rated 4.21. Have a scintillating Sunday evening, NBSers.

40. ichorNet

Society

Think this'll be the last one tonight; I'll get to Tropical Bitch another time, maybe later this week. Probably post a review on the site proper when I get 'round to it. For now, let's dig into a new-ish beer from a brewery I haven't had anything from in quite a while!

[​IMG]

As with the others today, picked up a single of this guy at a local place. Not at all averse to the idea of seasonally-appropriate drinkable hoppy beers that nevertheless don't fit the "IPA" standard. Prost!

Pours a slightly cloudy/translucent ruddy golden-yellow color with a chunky, rocky head that laces pretty well. Mildly hazy surface once the head calms down. Pretty decent pour overall.

Nose is full of wide-ranging hop notes... from slight notes of cut grass, pine sap and mild green onion to lemongrass, passionfruit and (plain ol') bubblegum, this seems kind of all-over-the-place. Not bad though, to be sure. The grassy and herbal component seems to pop a bit more than any kind of "fruitiness" for me. Some husky wheat notes, some light rustic spice and a vague dusting of yeast also make courteous appearances. Seems to lean mostly on the aroma/dry-hop side of things, though, for sure.

Flavor seems solid with bright floral and citrusy hops on top of a decently-well-built wheat ale base. Doesn't taste like a 6% beer, though. Very little ethanol on the tongue; I get mostly resinous, balanced hoppiness and cereal grains. Nothing really jumps out to me here. The nose seemed pretty promising, but this under-delivers on the palate.

Feel is smooth, round and pillowy, as a good APWA should be. Hops don't distract from the course this sets out on at all, which is cool. At the same time, however, it also doesn't drink like a wheat IPA (had some Zero Gravity Conehead fairly recently, so that's fresh on my mind as a comparison I could possibly draw) but instead kind of ends up relegated to a weird place. Being so strong, it's not really "refreshing", nor does it really scream "Summer" like lots of seasonal beers for the June-August period do. It just kind of is. Which is fine, but I feel like beer should do a bit more than that. Still, this isn't bad at all; it's just not exciting by any means (and I didn't expect it to be, really).

So far today, I've seen an undercurrent running throughout my choices, as they have all been beers I've been a). happy to have, and b). able to comfortably live life never really having again. I love trying new things, though, so even if everything was just slightly-above-average, I enjoyed sharing my thoughts with you, the ever-excellent NBSers! Thanks for making this another enjoyable week of beer-exploration and e-camaraderie. CHEERS!

I'll send you all off with some new Polish jazz-ish stuff, cuz why not.

#120 ichorNet, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.