New Beer Sunday (week 592)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickyge

mickyge Meyvn (1,342) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

[​IMG]
    Big Cranky not too shabby. Thin creamy head over a semi cloudy orange/ yellow beer. Smells tropical and pine like fairly smooth in the mouth and finished a bit dry and slightly alcohol.

VABA, gopens44, thebeers and 13 others like this.
  2. zid

zid Meyvn (1,242) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I seemed to be inadvertently channeling @TongoRad with my beer choices while having lunch out today. This post is a tie-in with my saison thread, but it's more fitting here.

First up was Greenport Harbor's Maibock. (sorry, no pic) I've gone back and forth on feelings regarding this brewery. Recently, I did a blind tasting of some porters, and was shocked by how well their Black Duck did. I always liked Black Duck a lot, but I didn't expect it to shine so well against the other beers. That inspired me to grab their Maibock on draught. I feel like I'm coming around to this style of beer. This beer was delicious. Surprised by how clean it was. It was a beautiful amber beer with no head at all. Bready and floral, it went down fast despite the 7% ABV.

Sorry @JackHorzempa , but this isn't going to be a pilsner summer for me, it is a saison summer. After downing the Maibock, I felt the pull towards saison and got a pour of Kent Falls Equinox Saison.

[​IMG]

You can see the lovely yellow hazy orb. This beer was quite lemony/citrusy, crisp, thin, and dry. It was quite nice. I thought the fruity aspect from the hopping was a tad too much for the body of the beer. Apologies for the brief reactions, I was having one of those lunches where my cranky kids stole more of my attention than the beers.

By the way @JackHorzempa , I really can't enjoy Pilsner Urquell on most days simply due to the diacetyl. Just a personal thing.

3. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,205) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Society Trader

Wasn't sure I was going to have a new beer for this weekend, but after a quick Nashville trip yesterday, I found a few goodies.

This is Mecha from NOLA Brewing and my first from this brewery.

Can is dated 8/31/16 which I'm guessing is a best by date. I'm not sure how far out NOLA dates for best by, but given how the hops have faded, I'm guessing at least 6 months.

Color is a touch dark, and the aroma is fairly light, but flavors come through in spades. Very nice tangerine, orange, and grapefuit with biscuit malts and a touch of honey sweetneess.

I would love to revisit this at another time with a fresher batch since I think this could be an outstanding beer.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18854/85515/?ba=richj1970#review

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,847) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Chris, I fully understand!! I am very 'sensitive' to diacetyl in a negative way most of the times. For some reason the level of diacetyl in Pilsner Urquell is not too offensive to me. I can't say that I find the diacetyl in PU to be a positive feature but it is not a 'deal breaker' for me for this particular beer. I do not drink PU a lot but I do buy a 4/6-pack at least once a year.

Cheers!

P.S. I do have to complement you on your stock of Saison. You sir know how to party!!:slight_smile:

P.S.S. I bought my first Southampton Keller Pils of the 2016 season earlier today. How about you?

5. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,392) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Ah, my favorite thread of the week. Thank you, Dave and Marie, for keeping the NBS torch burning bright every week. First up, this collaboration brew from Amager and Cellarmaker.

[​IMG]

The pour yields a cloudy, copper beauty with a finger of off-white head. The smell is dank hops - and a spicy hint of rye. The taste is TOTALLY piney, citrusy hops at first, and then, as it warms, the rye comes forward. The wheat is picked up in the tangy feel. Simply delicious, and a joy to drink on a beautiful Minnesota summer evening.

Rated 4.19.

#125 ovaltine, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  6. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,526) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Greetings from the palace in SEMass where the kingdom's weather continues to be awesome for being outside, but man do we need a good, soaking rain. No humidity, mid 80 range, but if it would rain a couple hours overnight... Yesterday was spent ripping up ceramic floor tiles as we prepare for a minor (eyes rolling) update to the kitchen. If you havent done this job before, I recommend this as a perfect solution...hire somebody else! I got halfway thru before my shoulders and legs couldn't take it no more... Today was spent with the garden tying up tomato plants and mowing what grass there is. Sonny boy and girlfriend visited for a quick grill of sausages and burgers, but he brought me beer...yay!

The beer in question was Sixpoint Resin. It poured a beatiful deep golden color with a pretty dense, soapy head about an inch thick that fell to uneven clingy stuff on the side of the nonic. The air filled with hoppiness...you know what this is from a mile away. It is citrusy, some tropical, definitely resinous, but there is a nice level of malt holding it up. Enough sniffin, lets get to sippin. Yeah...this beer is smooth to me and well-balanced. As much hoppiness as you need with an excellent balance leaning toward bready. The mouthfeel seemed different...somewhere between creamy and oily, but very pleasing to my tongue. It is a little sticky, but not cloying which makes it easy to drink. You cant tell it is a high ABV brew so I suspect that ice cold on a hot day this beer could seriously drop the hammer on you. I am feeling this coming in around the low fours on the BA scoreboard.

The queen enjoyed a Ballast Point Calm Before The Storm, took a whiff or resin and passed on the always offered taste. She did take a sip of the next new beer today and said "hmmm"....and I dont dare to try and interpret that comment.

And now....after the last round with the lawnmowerit is out of gas and so am I. The rare second new beer for me this fine day. Sixpoint Jammer. I have stocked up a little on lower ABV tasty treats for the inevitable hot days. It pours yellow and clear, very thin pile of bubbles the vanish leaving nothing. Not a lot going on with the nose. Mild coriander, a little wheat. Hmmm...maybe I see where the lady of the manor is coming from. OK time to manage expectations and remember this is a gose. The taste is quite mild, very modest on the salt, and I dont find much in the way of sourness. It is light on the body, a bit bubbly. Refreshing, balanced enough, and a decent beer. Great for the post mowing cooldown. But...I can get that for less cash, you know? It is a good beer, thinking 3.5 or so, but for me the value is lacking on this one. Now that I sit here between sips, the salt is making itself known, but I am holding at decent, not great for Jammer.

Thanks to @cavedave for yet another splendid start to scintillating sudsy sonnets (feeble, I know). Skimming through I can see yet again there is outstanding content from the faithful. Likes will be forthcoming!

Cheers,

7. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,947) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Great beer for while I am sweating by the grill. My pic makes it appear a bit more turbid than it truly is.

[​IMG]

My review!
    4.44/5 rDev +2.5%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh can poured into flute.

Beer is hazy, golden hued, and has a foamy white head. The head is slow to fade, but leaves little lacing on the glass.

The aroma is bright with fresh hops. Citrus, tropical fruits, and a musty pine resinous background which many will describe as dank.

Big flavor for such a low ABV brew. Does not disappoint, layers of hops, mild graininess, bit toasty. Bright citrus, bitter zest.

Much more full-bodied then I expected, but still easy drinking. Moderate carbonation.

Great hot weather brew. Would be a go-to for summer days at the beach or on the boat if readily available. Super low ABV, but desirable flavor, aroma, and mouthfeel.

8. zid

Trader

If by "party" you mean: spending too much money on beer that I will consume by myself while wondering why I can't fit into my bathing suits from last summer - then you are right, I do know how to party.

Thanks for the heads up on Keller. I will keep my eyes open.

9. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,392) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

#2, beastly beverage from BP.

[​IMG]

I love Ballast Point. Sculpin was my first adventure with them, and I was hooked. I really liked The Commodore (their take on an American stout), and I absolutely LOVE oatmeal stouts, so an imperial oatmeal stout from them is in my sweet spot.

This did not disappoint. The pour yields a jet-black beer with a finger+ of tan head. The aromas are dark chocolate, coffee, toffee - and something floral (the currants?). The taste is exquisite - all the aromas transferred to your tongue, with the dark chocolate dominating. My only ding - I wish this was creamier. If it was, it would be in my "Top 10 that is actually 50 beers" list. Still, I really like this - a lot. Gonna have to secure more of it.

Rated 4.24.

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,847) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

You sorta say that as being a 'bad' thing. I am quite confused!:confused:

Cheers!

Ozzylizard, TongoRad and zid like this.
  11. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,853) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I think I'll try to do the best of both worlds, myself; the summer of the Pils and Saison! I just don't think any of my Pilsners will make it to NBS any longer because I'm starting to go back to old faves now. I recently spied some Prima with the new labels and jumped all over it, and holy cow, that's a great beer when it's super fresh like that! I'm about to pour my second of the evening...

Chris- I'll also be all over that Kent Falls beer if I see it on a taplist. It sounds like the kind of thing they do particularly well.

JackHorzempa, zid and DrStiffington like this.
  12. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

New Beer Sunday: American Wild Ale

Evenin' NBSers, with warm welcome to willing wanderers wanting wild ales.

Well as expected, today was about as nice a day as you could ask for weather wise (I'll not bring up some of the rest of what went on. :slight_smile:) Skies were sunny, humidity was low, breezes were gentle and temperatures almost but never quite got uncomfortable. On the whole a day to savor.

As planned earlier, this evening's new beer is the Allagash Little Brett, a wild ale fermented with the Allagash house strain of Brettanomyces. (Which I'd bet means it was originally collected from the night breezes blowing over the fields near the brewery and through the coolship room.)

As usual my review is in progress and subject to revision until the beer is finished. It can be found here:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4/205198/?ba=drtth#review

The Little Brett is a refreshing beer for the summer with lots of different flavors and aromas all playing nicely together. There's pineapple, some breadiness, a touch of sweetness to control the bitterness and even a light touch of tartness. (It's pretty easy to tell Mosaic hops fulfilled their ultimate destiny in this beer. :slight_smile:) The Brett character isn't particularly forward as it hangs around in the background adding a touch of earthy character to the complexity of the beer but not dominating the beer. This one is definitely on my list to repeat!

While sipping and reflecting on this beer I was reminding of hearing Rob Todd of Allagash give a talk, with slides and pictures, during one of the Philly beer weeks some years back. He was talking about the then newly constructed and installed Allagash coolship to support their exploration of brewing wild ales using Maine bugs and critters who would gradually inflitrate and take over that portion of the brew house. While I've heard many good things about the Allagash Wild Ales from the coolship, they don't seem to get to this area and I've not tried any them. But with this beer, having been fermented in stainless steel tanks, using their house strain of Brettanomyces, they are clearly expanding their reach both in distribution and in exploring the possiblities inherent in brewing with Brettanomyces.

There's isn't any music on the player tonight as I'm relaxing on the back porch listening to the sounds of nature as the day slowly completes its transition into night.

Cheers, all!

#132 drtth, Jun 27, 2016
  13. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,976) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

I do too! She always looked like so much pure unadulterated joy whenever we'd open the door and she'd just LEAP off the porch. I wanted to grab a pic of it, so I did the hole burst capture thing and have a whole series that I can do as stop motion as well, ha. I still wish I could have gotten a clearer shot of her mid air, but I'm not going to complain about what I was able to pull off just using my 2 year old phone camera!

I've heard really good things about that one as it's been on my radar since I used to live in the U District. Have not had the chance to sample it yet myself though. May need to rectify that soon...

It was not the old swing top, unfortunately (I have an unfounded love of them swing tops): just a standard 750ml. Harvest Dance was one of the first ones that kind of piqued my interest in the style, way back when, and while a quick search through the db suggests I was mostly plus or minus about it, it was also from many years ago in the infancy of my assessment-ing...

14. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,109) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

Love Prima and now in cans. I'll be buying some for the hot summer days very soon.

VABA and TongoRad like this.
  15. RJLarse

RJLarse Poo-Bah (1,889) Dec 30, 2005 Washington
    Society

Greetings All from the Columbia Basin of Washington.

Postcard day here in Ritzville! Clear blue skies, temps in the low 80's. After a couple of weeks of unsettled weather, it appears summer has arrived.

Today we have Deschutes Indian Red Ale. Part of a Summer Sampler 12-pack. 3 bottles of 4 different beers, including the Black Butte Porter, which I do not consider a summer beer. Maybe on the inevitable rainy August afternoon?

India Red a decent red ale, along the line of Ninkasi Believer Red. I would have it again, especially in the fall.
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/180820/

Until next time,

Happy Trails!
    [​IMG]

16. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Final beer of this awesome weekend.

Revolution A Little Crazy pours a dark rose color with a 2 finger off white head. Good retention and lacing. Aroma is quite floral with hints of rose and orange blossom. Some yeast and clove are also present. Flavor is like drinking liquid rose petals with some citrus notes. The yeast comes through with some of the caramel malt and ends with a touch of clove. It is interesting and enjoyable sip after sip. It has a light feel and good carbonation. A different take on a Belgian IPA, one that is rather floral.

[​IMG]

Cheers and good night!

17. Ri0

Damn near non-alcoholic territory!

jhavs likes this.
  18. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,370) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Happy NBS, everyone! Great discussions as always today. I had a different beer lined up for NBS, but with all the great pilsner talk today, I decided to call an audible and join the pilsner party. Plus, it gives me an excuse to break in my new Reissdorf Kölsch stange that I bought yesterday!

Genesee Brew House North German-Style Pilsner

[​IMG]

I believe @utopiajane actually wrote an NBS post for this beer about a month or so ago, which is initially what caught my attention about it. It definitely is more of a traditional pilsner, as opposed to innovative, seeing as how it uses only Weyermann pilsner malt and noble hops.

Pours a pale gold color with a tall, creamy head. Clarity is excellent (the haze you see in the photo is chill haze on the glass). Aroma is a showcase for the pils malt. So much fresh bread and grain, but there is more than enough earth and spice from the hops to balance everything out. Flavor is dry, crisp, and bitter, yet it finishes soft. Medium-light bodied with lively carbonation and very clean.

Wow, this is an outstanding pilsner! Genesee absolutely nailed this one. A great beer for when you're craving something crisp, brisk, and refreshing.

4.25's across the board for a 4.25/5 rating. Cheers!

19. Ri0

I thought the same of that beer. I hope you have a Bam Bière, as it is one of my favorites!

cjgiant likes this.
  20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I'm very sorry for your loss. We are getting ready to adopt again (canine) after losing our last four-legged family member in April. My girls are relentless.:wink: I hope you find another feline friend soon. God knows, good homes for pets are in short supply.

woemad and rgordon like this.
  21. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,805) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

Lindemans Kriek Cuvée René | Brouwerij Lindemans

4.31/5 rDev +4.6%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice little pink head!?!?! :wink:
    Dark red body.
    Wonderful cherry nose.
    Taste follows nose with a very nice sourness; not too sour, almost perfect balance between fruit and sourness.
    Nice mouthfeel and overall, I will buy a few more, thank you!

Imgur shit the bed just now, so I will add pic later...

gopens44, jhavs, Ozzylizard and 12 others like this.
  22. OldSwampy

OldSwampy Disciple (376) Apr 4, 2016 Virginia

I've been trying to get my photo sharing site to work for over an hour to no avail. So, no pix for me today. But, a new beer...

Peg Leg Imperial Stout, by Heavy Seas in Baltimore, Maryland.

Brief impression: tasty, enjoyable stout, but not as complex in flavor or presentation as the very best imperial stouts out there.

happy NBS!

woemad, gopens44, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  23. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,730) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Nope, went over White Pass, tag-team driving in the parental Bavarian. Looked like a number of cars were parked at Bron Yr Aur Brewing today, but negotiations would have taken too long with the two non-beerers in the car, so that's for another time. I did split a Selkirk Abbey Cuvee with my brother last night, and had a couple Somethin' Somethin's while at his house.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  24. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,507) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Good evening NBS, hope everyone is enjoying the end of the weekend once again. Thanks to @cavedave for getting us started this week. Finally got my bike back for the second time and was able to ride yesterday. A nice 4 hour ride that ended in heat exhaustion emergency. I chose not to go today after all. It was still really hot today, and my lungs were/are still sore. It is supposed to storm some time tonight, so hopefully it'll be dry enough tomorrow. It's supposed to be 90 again, so hopefully not too humid. Beer 4400 will be Tuesday night.

New beer:

Only my second Icelandic beer ever, first being the Lava smoked imperial stout. This is a delicious American Porter! Fantastic head retention and webby lacing down the glass. Aromas and flavors of chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toasted dark bread, caramel, brown sugar, and light nutty/smokey malts; with a fair amount of herbal/light peppery hops. Light-moderate herbal/spicy hop and roast bitterness on the finish. Medium bodied with a really nice creamy mouthfeel with some sticky/chalky notes from roast malt/hops. Lightly drying; increasing through the glass from lingering hop oil. Very impressive and well crafted beer. Spot on for an American porter with plenty of Munich malt flavors that I love. Coffee is added as well, but more of a balanced approach to the malt profile. Look forward to others from this brewery. Freshly bottled in March 2016, new to Michigan. Got this from a store friend. 3.98
    [​IMG]

This is a nice Gose. Aromas and flavors of tart lemon, lime, pear, green apple, and salt; with light agave/wheat/crackery malt; and some herbal/yeasty earthiness. Moderate acidic tartness and peppery yeast spice on the finish. Light bodied; moderately acidic; lightly grainy, sticky, and saline in the mouthfeel. Good dryness with no acidic astringency. Very crisp and refreshing. A little weak on flavor for a Gose, but is not watery at all. Very well balanced flavors. Could have used a bit more creamy wheat presence and salinity in the mouthfeel. May grab a single or two again. 3.68
    [​IMG]

Great saison! Aromas and flavors of big tart lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange peel, citrus rind, apricot, melon, peppercorn, red wine, hay, straw, leather, musty funk, toasted oak, herbal, and floral; with light bready malt and vanilla. Very spicy from yeast/oak tannins on the finish. Medium bodied; nicely sticky/acidic with light creaminess in the mouthfeel. Very crisp/dry from acidity/tannins. Medium-high carbonation. Very drinkable for an 8% beer; with a huge amount of Brett complexity and wine barrel influence going on; along with very prominent citrus/peppercorn spice. It is delicious. 4.1
    [​IMG]

Cheers, have a good night NBS

25. drtth

Found online a lot of pictures. The purple ball is a bowling ball and they seem to have changed the color of the ball for each of the three years they've brewed the beer.

I can't help identify the "reference" to the movie, but with the design of the flack jacket and the stylized letters on the label I think we can safely narrow it down to a movie about the Vietnam war.

26. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,426) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

Ninkasi Brewing Dawn of the Red
    Imperial Red Ale - 7.0%

[​IMG]

3.87/5 rDev -0.8%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Ninkasi Dawn of the Red is described by the brewer as a Red IPA. The color is more of an orangish amber color with an off-white head. The aroma is sweet toasted malts and tropical fruits. The taste begins up front with with a good dose of sweetness from the malts and finishes with a good dose of bitterness to help balance the sweetness. The mouthfeel is light bodied with prickly carbonation. Overall, a solid brew that is worth a try.

27. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,349) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Unfortunately I am no longer near a supply of Jolly Pumpkin beers, so I'll have to throw that on my want list to remind me the next time I run into some of their beers. Definitely willing to try more after my experience with this one.

VABA likes this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,626) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Greetings, all! As a public service to my fellow BAs, I decided to sample these brews from the Walmart "Trouble Brewing" variety pack: 'Round Mid Night Belgian White, Red Flag Amber Ale, and After Party Pale Ale. Appearance-wise, not too bad overall:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, the beer didn't measure up. Some observations:

'Round Mid Night - Tastes like an artifically-flavored approximation of a Belgian witbier. There is an odd oily aftertaste, unpleasantly bitter.

Red Flag Amber - Nice color, but no head at all. Strange metallic aroma, not much in the flavor profile. Thin mouthfeel, watery finish.

After Party PA - Really nice appearance. Bitter, but that's about it. No hop character, bland.

The bitterness in these beers has an almost artificial quality about it, and that's about the only way I can think of to describe it. It's like it's coming from something other than hops, and it just doesn't sit right on the palate. (Does this make any sense at all?)

I don't see Walmart carving out a big share of the craft beer market with stuff like this. Or even a tiny share, for that matter. This is a notch below run-of-the-mill, and you can get much better beer (e.g. SN) for about the same price.

"Drinking Crappy Beer So You Don't Have To"

29. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

New Cream Ale

It's a warm one. Yesterday the family packed up for our trip east. We made it to the Cleve and finished the long haul to Hoboken today. This was a welcome sight when we got out of the car.

It's very much a novelty style beer. A liquid funnel cake/waffle cone. A sweet treat, though not an everyday drinker. Full review to come, probably a 3.5 overall sort of brew.

[​IMG]

30. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,027) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I have been seriously slacking on my NBS duties the last few weeks. I intended to return to NBS today for tick #400. However, my run-in with Coors Light at the pool today put an end to that. So, here's tick #401. This is thanks to @jzeilinger
    My review is below.

[​IMG]

Poured from a crowler into a tulip. Pours a burnt orange/brown with nearly a two inch white head. Great retention and excellent lacing throughout. Smell is strong pine and citrus. Dank doesn't really mean anything, but it describes the smell of this beer. The taste follows the smell. The pine is up front and the citrus comes on the back end. There is a lingering hop bitterness also. Almost no alcohol burn, which is impressive for 10%. Feel is medium/heavy carbonation and a little slick. Overall this is a very good DIPA. It reminds me a lot of Founders Redankulous. Worth trying.

31. bobv

bobv Poo-Bah (3,805) Feb 3, 2009 Vermont
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

32. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

Please tell me this is all sarcasm and everyone knows it's a reference to "The Big Lebowski"?!?!
    The Dude abides!

VABA likes this.
  33. cjgator3

cjgator3 Poo-Bah (3,426) Jan 19, 2006 Florida
    Society

Maui Brewing Doppelshot Doublebock
    Dopplebock - 8.2%

[​IMG]

3.74/5 rDev -7%
    look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can poured into a snifter. This Doppelbock is brewed with local maui coffee. Dark amber color fills the glass with a thin off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring of lace around the glass. At first whiff, you get a lot of spent coffee grounds and some of the sweetness from the malts. The taste like the aroma features a big dose of roasted coffee beans with a lingering sweetness coming in from the malts. Overall, an enjoyable brew.

34. zid

Trader

Here's my NBS 750 saison for today - (an old) Fantome Hiver:

[​IMG]

Reactions here.

Cheers.

35. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,973) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

So late to the party ... and so much cool stuff in here yet again ...

I picked up a four-pack of this one last week in Houston and now I need a four-pack of cases. I'm only half kidding ... I'm going to drink A LOT of this in the future:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8th Wonder's Rocket Fuel -- a Vietnamese coffee porter

It's roasty sweet and super light and only 4.6% ABV AND a year-round offering, making it (for me) about the greatest thing ever. In my Great Summer of the Coffee Stout, this one is just as good if not better than all of them. The sweetness is arguably a bit too much, but there's enough good dark-malt flavor to balance it, and at some point a floral aroma note helps give it some complexity, even a bit of flavor balance.

The review:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28784/113236/?ba=Premo88#review
    4.21 (+1.7% rDev)

That's as restrained a 4.21 as I've ever given ... in my heart, it's straight 5s.

Cheers, LNNBSers!

36. drtth

No sarcasm. Never saw the movie. So not everyone knows.

Said I could help with movie, so at lest I got that part right. :-)

#156 drtth, Jun 27, 2016
    jvgoor3786 likes this.
  37. GRPunk

GRPunk Meyvn (1,229) Apr 5, 2007 Michigan

Round 2 is a big, fresh IPA.

Big, spicy hops with a solid, breadth malt backbone. Just the balance I look for in an IPA. Glad I picked up the sixer.

[​IMG]

38. jvgoor3786

Society Trader

Fair enough. You should watch it. Have a few beers first. Fantastic film by the Cohen Brothers.

VABA, woemad and drtth like this.
  39. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Good Evening Late Night NBS

Such good reading today. Cheers to all of you who follow in the esteemed footsteps of our very own @cavedave and @utopiajane by putting such thought to comment and keyboard, the modern pen and paper, regarding our favorite imbibe. This is truly a great little corner of the inter webs.:grinning:

As for me, it's fargin' hot in So Cal. Actually we had some humidity today. Now, I'm not claiming to be midwest or southern levels of humidity. But for us, 50% humidity in the 80's and 90's is comment worthy. I have had a great few weeks. Last week I commented about a nice trip to Indiana with my dad and brother. Many a great beer was drunk in Indiana, Michigan, and even Chicago. And the following week allowed me to continue drinking what I brought back.
    I also volunteered at me school for a one week music & art camp. Amazing work, by some very talented teachers, teaching kids about storytelling, movement, arts, and both vocal & instrumental music. And the amazing thing is...to the kids it's all just play. The approach is called ETM (Education Through Music) and it's from the Richards Institute. "Learn to play to learn." What a great slogan. So I get to work with some of my students during this week, as well as take my daughters. But I am truly amazed at the level of dedication and divine skills of these teachers. Some come from as far away as Sacramento, Ojai, San Diego, to come all the way to our school in East, East LA. AND THEY ALL VOLUNTEER!!!
    Anyway, enough of that. Here's a new beer for tonight:

Telegraph's IPA, out of Santa BArbara, CA

This one reminds of drinking IPA's 10-15 years ago. More subtle in the hop profile than many of today's offerings. But a solid beer.

Wow, gorgeous pour. Ever so slightly hazy. Swirl of golden copper with hints of russet launches a frothy 2 chubby fingers of off-white head. Lacing? Yes. And nice sticky globs too. Aroma is actually a really nice balance of biscuity malt and some understated piney, resiny notes. Flavor is more subtle. Pine, resin, gentle citrus, and a hint of peppery spice notes. Mouthfeel is lightly active. Overall, this one is very good. I would like to have a slighlty more assertive hop profile, but just a tad.

3.68/5 rDev -5.2%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

40. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Late Night Beer Advocacy and another New Beer. Dugges/Stillwater Tropic Punch Ale. I went in with zero expectations with this beer and I loved it.

[​IMG]

4.48/5 rDev +4.4%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle into a stemmed tulip.

Appearance resembles passionfruit juice, cloudy and tinged with a brown color. Head is fizzy and quickly dissipates. 4.5

Smells just like passionfruit. And fermented pineapple. And guava juice. And tremendously tart. 4.5

Man, that flavor is tart. And really like drinking an unsweetened passionfruit juice. With touches of guava or some other more sugary sweet tropical fruit. They nailed the tropical aspect of this. Wow. I do feel the flavor veers a little bit thinner on the finish, but in general, these guys seem to have nailed what they were after flavor-wise. 4.5

It's tart as hell, but I came around. Then really dry. And still juicy. It's got that tropical fruit juice quality, like passionfruit juice for example, in which it's alluringly sweet and prickly, but ultimately finishes so dry as to leave you thirsty and in need of water. So long story short it's refreshing but you'll want more. 4.25

This was an incredible find. Very tasty and perfect for summer. I don't like the format or the price but that's a whole other story.

Believe it or not, I'm already drinking another beer. One more post tonight from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.