New Beer Sunday (Week 727)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjgiant, Jan 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (3,753) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Society Trader

Peanut butter? Glad you picked that up from it and not me! I'm allergic to the stuff! By the way, you might be seeing something else from Bale Breaker very soon...

2. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2016 New York

Alvarado Street Brewery — Motor Oil No.3
    Canned on 01/16/19

[​IMG]

There's an inscription on the bottom the can that reads: 10W-40. We will see...

Look: Pours with a dark brown (not black) stream. Strong head formation; there was originally a finger of head in my glass, but I added a bit after that before taking the picture. Head retention is quite good for the ABV. There is also a bit of lacing left on the glass, again more than expected.

Smell: Some of the first reviews on Untappd complained about too little maple in this beer, but I'm definitely picking up on it. On the nose, coffee is truly dominant, but notes of maple are there as well.

Taste: Here, coffee and maple are much more balanced. This drinks very pleasantly, even if I did sort of wish for a maple bomb. Maple does begin to dominate the coffee as the beer warms. I'm getting a little chocolate as well, again, especially as the beer warms.

Feel: Definitely the weakest category for this beer. At 11.5% ABV, this is light, and I don't like that in big stouts. It's not terrible, just far from being as good as it could have been. That being said, carbonation is on point, and the alcohol is hidden incredibly well.

Conclusion: I'm enjoying this beer very much as it is. Coffee and maple are blended well, and it doesn't taste boozy, which is important for me. At the same time, I can't help but complain about the relative thinness of the body. It's no 10W-40, that's for sure. A good buy, but there's room for improvement.

4.25 | 4 | 4.5 | 4 | 4.25
    Overall: 4.27
    — I'm proud to be the first to review of this beer.

3. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Disappointed with that first Cascadian, good thing I’ve got another!

Hop Noir from Peak

[​IMG]

3.84/5 rDev +1.9%
    look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Huge, billowing, fluffy beige head with a nice steady lacing. Nose is really sweet and malty with the bitterness supplied by just a hint of piney, which is quickly supplanted by candy orange. Taste is a touch more earthy and less sweet, therefore I think it’s in pretty good balance. So it starts out with a black olive thing before the malt pops in, supplying a steady sweetness that cuts the bitter. On exit is a nice bitter dark chocolate before the gritty, dry bitterness remains on the tongue. For being a high ABV beer, there is virtually no heat at all, like none. Body is deceptively thin as well.

4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,046) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Zipline White Stout, 6.5% ABV. Pours dark orange with a 1.5 finger off-white head, that dissipated quickly, leaving no lacing. Nose is vanilla, some malt, and a hint of chocolate and coffee. Taste is tangy, with slight sweetness and very little bitterness. Aftertaste of chocolate. Mouthfeel is excellent, overall excellent. Wasn't sure what to expect from a low-ABV "white" stout. Pretty good, but not sure what's tangy.

[​IMG]

Ozzylizard, LeRose, larryi86 and 40 others like this.
  5. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,022) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

Yea Mon I got Exodus Porter with Jamaican Coffee from Sweetwater.
    [​IMG]
    3.7/5 rDev -1.6%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz can with a best by date of 1/31/19 to a diagonal cut tumbler.
    Black and completely opaque, even when held to a sunlit window. Cream colored, multi-sized bubble head, laces the glass nicely during the session. The nose is mild, hint of coffee and malt but not much.
    Taste is of a good black coffee with a strong malt backbone. Coffee flavor comes back long after the swallow.
    The mouthfeel is a little disappointing. Light and a little too much carbonation. I know its labeled a porter and not a stout, but I could use a little more body and a little less fiz.
    Overall, can't complain about the flavor, but the body is thin.
    [​IMG]

Ozzylizard, LeRose, larryi86 and 38 others like this.
  6. Reef

Reef Savant (903) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

[​IMG]
    Cigar City distributes here but I don't remember seeing Marshal Zukhov other than on a trip to Charleston last year. Hope I'm wrong as I would love to have some on hand. All I remember from buying it is some anxiety over spending $14.99 for a bomber.
    [​IMG]
    I think I had some notion about saving it to share at my birthday party. Thing is, the friends I party with are lager and weizenbier drinkers. So this bottle sat in the fridge until this afternoon. I'm stuck in the house doing chores and playing nurse, so no time like the present.
    Review: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/45973/?ba=Reef#review

Pours an inky ebony with scant head. The aroma is intoxicating dominated by coffee, molasses, stone fruit. Wonderful flavor mirroring the aroma. Cigar City says that Engish hops should lend a floral note bit it is too far buried for me. Mouthfeel is full and slick. Alcohol on the nose and taste still strong. I don't drink enough RIS to make comparisons, but this is very enjoyable and I plan to bring some back on my next trip to Florida.

7. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,233) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

It feels odd to be able to to do this so early in the day. Usually I get to my first Sunday beer around 10:30 PM. My wife spent yesterday commiserating with her now former colleagues, all of whom are now out of work. A rival bought the company she worked for, only to close all offices save the ones in New Zealand and Australia. Apparently, it is easier to get into those markets by buying in, than to try to start up despite having to shutter the Canadian, UK and US operations at the same time. The severance looks to be good and she’ll be able to stay home for the next six months or more with the kids, so all in all, not bad.

Today’s bonus was that because she was out all day yesterday, I got to walk around the corner to a pretty good BBQ joint for lunch and a break from looking after the two year old twin terrors!!

[​IMG]

The taplist at this place is limited, so I went with a beer I’ve seen for years but never bothered to try, all for NBS purposes. The beer is : Spearhead Hawaiian Pale Ale. Spearhead is one of those contract breweries that are fairly common up here that seem to be more concerned with marketing than beer. I’ve had other offerings that were decent, so my hopes weren’t too high or too low.

[​IMG]

Clean copper with enthusiastic effervescence and a light lacing as the beer is consumed.

The nose is bereft of pineapple despite that being an ingredient. Mild floral hops

Slight and pleasant sweetness on the tongue with a broad spectrum of floral, mild grassy and tropical fruit notes. Still, no distinct pineapple presence.

Medium bodied with bright carbonation.

A middling to good Pale that is dissaponting if only for the lack of pineapple that is expected. It went well with the fatty BBQ brisket and garlic mashed potatoes I ate with it. Middling as expected I guess. I doubt I’d ever revisit.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

8. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,498) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

[​IMG] Poured into my new favorite Hopslam glass canned on 1/11/19. Pours a fairly cloudy yellow, with a 2 finger sticky white head, that leaves huge rings of lace with excellent retention as it slowly settles into a thin layer of bubbles. 4.5

Smell is loaded ripe honey dew, orange rind, passionfruit, herbal earthy notes, and just a tiny hint of grapefruit very nice! 4.5

Taste follows a really nice Mellon thing going, orange, passionfruit, once again some herbal thing I can’t truly explain but it is nice, pineapple, and very mellow balanced grapefruit this stuff is not a joke at all. 4.5

Mouthfeel is a solid medium, gentle soft carbonation, not dry but a little stickyness for sure, and drinks a tad bigger than 6% but dangerously crushable. 4.5

Overall I am trusting digging this one, balanced and truly a tasty treat. Highly recommend this guy. 4.5

9. akatz821

akatz821 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2017 New York

This sounds freaking awesome. Glad you got some, and that Troon is out and about and not just doing their Tuesday hyper limited Crowler releases (tho they do share a site with a GREAT restaurant that serves the stuff on tap, so for those in or around Princeton, I would definitely check it out

10. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,486) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

A joyous last NBS in January to one and all!
    It is a little less frigid and snowy here today than it was last week. There is still a decent amount of snow and after it turned to rain and flooded the streets (!?!) there is now a solid coat of ice to go with it. I am doing my usual Sunday thing of prepping for the week and just generally hanging out. As usual, I'm more than happy to dedicate a part of it to bullshitting about beer with random folks on the internet.
    [​IMG]
    My first (and likely only) new beer today is a new and different one from Maltstrom. They are a fairly new brewery up here that mainly makes new-fangled IPAs (IPLs for the most part, though I can't taste the difference). This one seemed interesting because of the rye and I am happy to see they've started dating their cans. Truth be told, though, I didn't notice it was aged in red wine barrels. Or how old it was.... If I had seen either of those things I probably would have skipped over it but I am still open to trying it and imagine it will be at least better than a pole in the eye with a sharp stick.
    [​IMG]
    This was a nice beer and was both was and wasn't what I was expecting. It looks as New Englandy as could be in the glass. Great head. The aroma is fruity (overripe peaches) but is very rye-forward. The flavor follows. Spicy, peppery, dry rye with a hint of stonefruits. Both the aroma and flavor have a hint of tannic wine barrel in the finish. It is pretty drinkable and the assertive character of rye clashes less than I would have expected with this type of beer. Is have it again. Also I am glad to see that not only is their addition of dates awesome, but you can tell that their canning is more dialed in than it was (which makes sense since they were among the first to can on their own). I'd have it again.

Here is my official review.

Cheers!

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 44 others like this.
  11. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I had a load of new beers this week so I decided to write about 2 brews. The 1st is a beer I've been wanting to try for a long time. Bells Hopslam Ale a 10% DIPA brewed with honey. Worth the wait IMO. Pours golden orange with a thick white long lasting head. There is both Honey and spice in the aroma and hints of bread. The taste is awesome an almost perfect blend of malt. hops and honey. There is no hint of the 10% ABV. The finish is honey sweet but not overly so, A brew that lives up to it's Hype great stuff.
    The 2ond beer is from a brewery that just opened yesterday In New Providence NJ where I live.
    Untied Brewing East Coast IPA This beer served in a Tulip (as are all pints there) is a hazy gold with a nice white head. The aroma is malt and hops as is the taste mouthfeel is full finish is dry and lingers a bit. Overall a very nice IPA well done. Other brews tried yesterday were pretty good also. I hope they do well. They are pricey and many drinkers that mentioned that. Bad news for Untied Brewing they posted this AM closed today broken sewer pipe. Bummer
    A 3rd beer that I am drinking now, picked up a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Brut IPA earlier today with no intention of drinking it until next weekend. However at least 4 Ba's have written about it in this thread today. They all seemed to find it to be a top shelf beer, so I decided to drink some. The other BA's are right Sierra Nevada as another home run. It's their Spring Seasonal but I hope it makes it Summer It is a perfect hot weather beer.

12. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Aspirant (269) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

Been busy this weekend with a continuing education course out of town so this is only my second beer of the weekend. Given to me by someone I work with, this is both a new brewery and beer tick for me. This is Shotgun Wedding by Country Boy brewing.

The look is different but I like it. Burgundy red and translucent with a minimal amount of off white head which recedes quickly. When held up to the light this joker is bright ruby red and I dig it. The aroma is big grains up front, some chocolate and a little sweetness. This is where the train went off the tracks, the finish was pencil shavings. A scent in very familiar with. Big malty bastard it tastes like. Some chocolate and vanilla sweetness. The mouthfeel is a little thin for me, on the thinner side of medium with a tad too much prickly carbonation. Overall this Is a middling effort. They had a great idea but average execution as far as what I was looking for.

13. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Devotee (475) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Captain Lawrence smoothie dreams
    Milkshake ipa w/ raspberry vanilla lactose

Pours nice hazy light pink with clean white head
    Smells like raspberry juice
    Drinks creamy, smooth and surprisingly light
    Raspberry is out in front and dominates, vanilla if at all is very subtle lactose sweetness and makes the mouthfeel pretty creamy
    Raspberry is too much just overtakes everything
    3.25/5

14. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Poo-Bah (2,869) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

New beer #6.

Moments of Ballooned Psychic Progress - Tired Hands
    DIPA - 8% abv
    Purchased for $20/4 at Tired Hands
    Canned 1/11/19 (16 days ago)
    Score: 3.59 (-4.8% rDev)

[​IMG]

Review:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28383/393998/?ba=CanConPhilly#review

Synopsis:
    Another miss from TH. I can’t get past the butter taste. Not sure if this is diacetyl or something coming from the hops, but it greatly detracts from the taste. Even beyond that, though, this is a vegetal hop showcase, so probably not what most are expecting when they open this. I love the can art at least! :no_mouth:

15. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois

Good afternoon fellow NBSrs!

Thought I’d share a quick one with you guys before I settle down with a proper one later. Anyways, it’s still pretty chilly out here but this beer added a touch of warmth today.

Army of hops from FFF. It’s a completely new beer in their Pig Destroyer series. Permanent Funeral (amazeballs) was the first in the series. This one is the second beer in that series.

And my feeble review

Hope you all are enjoying this fine Sunday!

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 40 others like this.
  16. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Evil Twin Brewing— Poetry is What Gets Lost In Translation (what a stupid f*****g name)
    There's that weird code date on the bottom that I'm too lazy to translate. Hope it's fresh.

[​IMG]

Look: Bright yellow murky body (though not an absolute murk bomb), 2 fingers of head on a semi-aggressive pour; great head retention and admirable lacing.

Smell: Very tropical, with hints of papaya and tangerines. Pungent but not the smelliest NEIPA either.

Taste: Interesting. I'm getting big hints of melon, as well as the expected papaya and tangerines. It's a bit of a weird taste, but it's tasty.

Feel: Decent, relatively spot-on NEIPA. Creamy texture, medium carbonation.

Conclusion: I'm not the biggest Evil Twin fan, but this is a perfectly good NEIPA. It's hoppy, juicy, and refreshing. A perfect winter beer, right?

4.5 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.25
    Overall: 4.27 (rDev +5.4%)

#56 Ice_Cream_And_IPAs, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  17. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,573) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Good Afternoon NBS crew, I have taken a few weeks off from drinking trying to hit the gym again and lose some unwanted weight. A friend gave me a couple of IPAs so I figured it was time to get back in the game. Starting with a NEIPA from Columbia Craft Brewing in Columbia SC, I have been a fan of the sours I have had from them but this is the first IPA. This one Batch 100 is a NEIPA clocking in at 6.4%and while tasty and good it seems to be a cookie cutter NEIPA and not much really takes it from the pack. I guess it is a great world we live in when we can say that, not much to complain about I guess!!! Cheers.

[​IMG]

Appearance 4.25 - Pours murky burnt orange with a nice thick soapy off white head that settles to a think cap. Lots of lacing all around the glass.

Aroma 4 - I like that tropical fruit does not dominate, floral hops, orange some light pine, mango and a touch of lemon. The aroma seems to be pretty well balanced nothing really over powers.

Taste 4 - Taste is more tropical with mango, pineapple and orange being the most dominate flavors. It does finish with some nice floral/earthy hopiness and a slight bitterness.

Feel 4.25 - Medium bodied, slightly creamy feel with a touch of dryness on the finish.

Overall 4.04 - A good example of the style flavor wise and mouthfeel wise. I like the balanced hops in the nose I also like that it is not super sweet.

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 41 others like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,679) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

It’s not that hazy and it’s not that many floaties, I kinda froze it after losing track fighting with the garbage disposal my wife killed putting too much shit down it.

This week I found a few new beers, just saved this one for today. A brewery I’ve never heard of before Fat Orange Cat out of Ct this one is Someone in My Head. It’s a NEIPA imagine that, they use Citra,Mosiac, Simcoe,Apollo hops, and clocks in at 8.75 abv.

Tons of fruit on the nose, first sip is really fruity as well, but I think the use of Mosaic and Simcoe ground it a bit, gives it a bit of an earthy finish. Not super bitter obviously, but there’s certinly enough here to keep it from being an overly sweet OJ bomb. Love these kinda multi hop brews and imo Citra and Mosaic make a terriffic combo. Really a nicely done NEIPA, there’s balance between the bitter and OJ. If I could add here, it would lean to just a tad more bitter, but you can easily drink Multiple cans. BA rates it at just under 4.2, I’d rate it a bit higher, maybe 4.25 - 4.30. I’d definitely buy this again.
    [​IMG]

19. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,022) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

NB#2S-
    Goat Milk Stout from Omegang.
    [​IMG]
    3.67/5 rDev -0.8%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from an undated 12oz bottle to a diagonal cut tumbler.
    Very black opaque with fine lacing bubbles.
    Don't know if it's me, but the aroma is almost non-existent. Maybe a slight floral/honey smell, but I could be imagining that.
    Taste is subtle chocolate malt, bitter in front with a unique subtle sweetness at the end. Maybe unfermented goat's milk (which I've never tasted, so have no reference to).
    Medium body, but nice mouth coating.
    Nothing off about this beer and its pretty unique. I would have it again if offered, but I would not seek it out.
    [​IMG]

20. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Poo-Bah (5,237) Sep 17, 2005 New Mexico
    Society

Two year old twins. Wow! My hat's off to you.

21. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,900) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

This afternoon, I was at one of my favorite breweries in Houston. They always make excellent lagers in just about any style. This weekend they released a Schwarzbier that is excellent...

Holler Brewing Semiclassic at 5.7% ABV
    [​IMG]

Near opaque black, plenty of tan head and lacing. This has a great malt character. Toasted and bread like with a bit of chocolate and coffee. Though without being roasted and bitter. Just a touch of earthy grassy hops in the finish. Excellent carbonation, clean and dry. I had several today at the brewery. Full review below...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45647/395147/?ba=champ103#review

22. akatz821

akatz821 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2017 New York

Happy Sunday everyone!

Hoping all of you are having a great end of the weekend. Those of you in the coldest of places? Stay safe and do not go outside. Ever. Until it gets to above zero. And wear snowsuits to bed. Stuff like that.

Anywho, today in drinking my mystery beer, coutesy of @Blackop555 in the 8.5 bif.

Allie unknown about the beer, except one big hint that comes from the cap: it’s a beer from brewery vivant. I’ve never been disappointed from these folks, so I’m excited to figure this one out

Forgot to pay attention to the pour, but settled in the glass a surprisingly opaque burnt orange. A dense finger of head, stays put for quite some time.
    Smell let’s me know this is definitely wild, possibly with some fruit.
    Taste confirms. Tart, a bit of grain, funk, and I’m gonna say strawberries. It’s a bit more tart than what I would expect of a strawberry beer, but the color points me away from any other berry. Feels nice and pillowy despite its tart punchy finish.

If I’m right about the strawberry (I think I am?), from looking through their offerings, I believe I just drank vivant’s strawberry rhubarb sour. The rhubarb explains the not so strawberry vibes lol.

Since October or so, I’ve had 4 pretty awesome straeberry beers.
    Plan Bee - Amour
    Jester King - Omniscience & Proselytism (#5)
    3F - Speling Van Het Lot VII.v (strawberry + cherry), blended and alive
    And this one.

And taking that into account, this year if strawberry beers (a super hard fruit to work with) have been full of surprises. I stand by Amour being the best of the bunch. This years batch was incredible. JK ended up making the worst one, by far. And this Brewery Vivant one ends up in a toss up with 3F. Which is insane, being that 3F makes some of the best stuff out there. Goes to show that sometimes the old classic (Doesjeel, A+G) are classic for a reason, and while the twisted fate series is exponentially harder to find, it won’t always be worth it.
    [​IMG]

Also, found some Heady Topper today in NY! Thanks Roberta’s

[​IMG]

23. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,939) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

We agree on this one. I got excited when I detected Nelson on the nose, but it was all downhill moving forward.

TongoRad, CanConPhilly and FFFjunkie like this.
  24. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (3,580) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

Cherries in Black, a Porter brewed with cherries by German brewery FrauGruber Brewing (6.5% ABV).

Pours a pitch black coloration with a large, foamy head. Smell is quite subdues, with only subtle notes of roasted malt, chocolate and herbal hops coming through, as well as an even fainter hint of black cherries.

Taste is kind of the opposite of the nose, with a sweet and slightly tart black cherry note being at the forefront, complemented by roasted malt, chocolate and lighter herbal hops, as well as just a hint of licorice. Finishes semi-dry, with a light bitterness and some cherry tartness lingering in the aftertaste. Thin mouthfeel with a light body and medium carbonation.

Maybe FrauGruber really should stick to (NE)IPAs, as this is another mediocre Stout/Porter by them. With a thin and watery body/mouthfeel and a poor balance of flavors, this really struggles to find it's center. The roasted/bitter notes seem at odds with the cherry tartness and there's just not enough of a rich chocolate note here to really pull this together. It's still drinkable enough, but just disappoints compared to their excellent IPAs.

25. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,656) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

It's about time I started catching up on the thread. In the meantime, it's time for new beer #3.

[​IMG]

I've had Prairie Okie before, and I thought it was delicious. This is my first go-round with Coffee Okie, the coffee-infused version of this 13% ABV imperial brown ale aged in whiskey barrels.

Cut-and-paste from my review:

"Nose is mostly coffee and whiskey fighting for dominance, while tones of oak, brown sugar, toffee, and caramel hide in the background like children watching their parents fight. And just like a classic parental spat, there's no hiding the influence of booze on the nose.

Much smoother on the palate, with tons of whiskey, red grapes, brown sugar, and coffee; around mid-palate, brown sugar, toffee, and caramel really take over, giving this a sweet character that it rides to the finish, accentuated by the whiskey mash.

Remarkably smooth; for all the booze on the nose, this massive beer is lively and supremely drinkable on the palate. It's boozy, but like the lies of the devil, it sucks you in with honeyed words (I'm not a big boozy brew; I'm just like a sugary toffee bar!) and flattery (oh, YOU can take this brew, you big MAN you!) until it's too late. And oh, it's too late ... by the time you recognize that 13% WILL knock you on your ass (or should, you lush), it's too late; you're grasping for your water, but it's so far away on the desk across the room, and after all the carpet is soooooo comfortable.

Shhhhhh......good night."

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30356/204098/?ba=Roguer#review
    4.16 / -2.6%

Cheers!

26. cambabeer

cambabeer Meyvn (1,250) Dec 29, 2010 New York
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Happy NBS everyone! Felt like time to go across the pond for a Trappist beer that I somehow haven't had despite its widespread availability (near me anyway). Definitely a needed change of pace, so many fresh hop type IPAs for me lately. Into the bottle we go...

[​IMG]

4.28/5 rDev +3.1%
    look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: One finger or off-white cream colored head which hangs around for days. Brown, with a hint of reddish hues. Almost opaque, just able to make out my finger on the other side of the glass. Pouring in the yeasty bottom of the beer now makes it completely opaque.

Smell: Soggy malts. Apple juice and some spices. A touch of toffee. Some alcohol in the nose, not over powering.

Taste: The fruity character, apples, raisin, clove are at the front of this beer. A cleaner finish than I would have expected, with lingering hop taste and some yeastiness. A floral bitterness which is very balanced.

Feel: Nice carbonation throughout. Medium bodied overall, smooth. Just enough oiliness at the end to make me reach for another sip.

Overall: Really good. I keep meaning to get back to drinking Belgian styles more often, and times like this are the reason why. It feels complex without trying to be. Both light, almost refreshing, yet rich and semi-filling at the same time.

27. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Hop Slam glass canned on 12/06/18 and is holding up awesome. Pours a very hazy bright yellow with a 2 finger sticky white head that leaves loads of lace all over the sides of the glass, with excellent retention as it slowly settles into a thin film of sporadic bubbles. 4.75

Smell is guava, pineapple, tangerine, papaya, and some grapefruit rind. 4.5

Taste follows tropical front to back, guava, pineapple, papaya, tangerine, and a nice balanced hit of grapefruit man this stuff is excellent. 4.75

Mouthfeel is bigger than medium, not dry but a tad sticky, a near perfect soft feel, and goes down very easy at 8% ABV. 4.75

Overall I love what these guys do, a NEDIPA time after time and at a competitive price. 4.5[​IMG]

28. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,233) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Easily the hardest and by far and away the best ‘job’ I’ve ever had!!

29. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,369) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Wissahickon Falls Park Coffee Porter

Happy Sunday, BAs. This is my second time checking out Wissahickon Brewing in the Philadelphia Metro Area. It’s much more crowded today than last time around.

My one and only beer here pours a dark brown with a thin, short-lived tan head that forms a crown and leaves sparse, spotty lacing.

Quality breakfast roast coffee stands out in the nose, with some chocolate and brown bread behind.

It’s dry tasting with strong coffee and brown bread maltiness, and it has a slightly metallic finish.

It’s thin bodied (probably appropriately so), with a somewhat over-carbonated feel.

This looks nice and smells great, but is otherwise a pretty middle-of-the-road coffee porter. None of the beers I’ve chosen here have ever blown me away, but it’s still a fun enough meeting spot. :beers:

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 39 others like this.
  30. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (958) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota
    Trader

'Afternoon, folks! I'm getting a bit of a late start today - spent the evening at Central Waters yesterday, and all of that driving (about eight hours on the road) had me tuckered out. Met up with a few of the Newbies for handshakes, tried the CW anniversary beer and a couple of variants, and then headed home.

Found myself a new interest and pursuit in the Sword and Scale podcast - driving on your own for eight hours gets a little boring, and a grisly story or two really helps keep you awake. Makes me look forward to my next road trip (coming up quite soon, actually - meeting up with some of our fellow NBS guys in Chicago this coming weekend).

On to beer: I'm beginning the day with my NBS 8.5 mystery beer from @beertunes:

[​IMG]

I made the mistake of playing hell with my palate just prior to drinking this beer - munched on a bit of teriyaki beef jerky and mistook the salt as being in the beer itself... so my initial guess was a fruit gose. The nose is rich with fruit, which the taste introduces a bit of acidity. I had no idea who the brewery was - the bottle shape wasn't ringing any bells (I don't actually recall many breweries at all who do a bottled gose), and the cap was taped. No clues there. I decided to untape the cap first.

[​IMG]

No help there - just didn't ring any bells for me. Time to unwrap the bottle.

[​IMG]

Aha! Not a gose afterall, but I was on the right track with the fruit and acidity - raspberry can definitely come across that way at times. All of that raspberry in the nose is terrific - a wonderful fruity bouquet, rich, terrific. Taste is slightly thin (seems common with raspberry), but damn! does it ever get sour after a while - salivary glands are going in to overdrive and my cheek muscles are spasming like crazy.

I like this one - very tasty.

This beer arrived a earlier this week, thankfully surviving the terrific cold snap here in MN - it's part of a hell of a nice box Terry sent my way. I want to take this opportunity to thank Terry again for this great box - cheers, sir!

[​IMG]

I may be back later. We have a whole bunch of snow in the forecast and I'm fighting with my snowblower... this might call for more beer...

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 38 others like this.
  31. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,805) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

New Beer #2 - Wicked Weed’s BBA “Milk & Cookies”:

Pours black with ruby edges at 57 degrees; dark beige foam; good cap retention and solid ring resulting therefrom; moderately heavy lacing; thin legs. 4.75

Baked pie crust and sugary raisins; bourbon as liquid warms; cinnamon nose. 4.0

Sugared raisins, cookie dough, semi sweet malt base, bourbon, cinnamon, vanilla, oak; more bourbon as it warms; cinnamon finish. 4.0

Medium body, moderate minus carbonation; light creamy body, with dry cocoa powder feel. 3.75

Overall I thought the cinnamon was out of balance with the whole; the linger is cinnamon spice; can’t find the 11.3 ABV; so many other flavors in the background, but the cinnamon is ever present...a good holiday beer especially if you like cinnamon. 4.0

32. beerloserLI

beerloserLI Savant (982) Apr 2, 2011 New York
    Trader

Happy Sunday NBS players. A rather nice and sunny winter day here on the island. A nice break from the bitter cold we've been having. No football and I almost don't know what to do with myself. A rather lazy Sunday, ran some errands, gots a simple chicken dinner lined up, and preparing for the coming work week.

My new beer today is Sump, an imperial stout w/coffee, from Perennial brewing. We just started catching these guys on distro, and while rather pricey, I really enjoyed Abraxas and this has been a big time want. The brew checks in at 11.5% abv, and has a 12/19/18 bottle date.

A jet black color on the pour with a thick head of brown bubbles. The nose is nicely floral with coffee and malts. A big blast of bitter coffee grind flavor hits right upfront along with a rush of the smooth and lush chocolate malts. Crazy smooth on the flow with a bitter and sweet finish. I love the full flavor of the coffee and on the finish I'm catching a sort of lactose/milk sweet flavor that is really enjoyable. Additional notes of cocoa powder, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel, and charred smoke. Full bodied with just the right amount of stick to allow the flavors to linger across the palate while the abv hides dangerously.

Overall, Wow what a great beer. I'm easily in the 4.5 range to possibly higher her. The killer here is the price point and the god damn wine bottle serving. Right now, its around 23 bucks a bottle. I'll probably grab another but if it were in a more manageable 4 pack/smaller bottle format I would revisit more often.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 37 others like this.
  33. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (4,685) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia
    Society

[​IMG]

A-Pours a hazy amber color with a generous head and lacing
    A-Aroma had fruity and oak hints
    T-The taste follows the nose with a very nicely balanced light fruity flavor and some oak aftertaste
    M-A medium bodied very well carbonated beer
    O-A very nice, very well balanced, and very refreshing beer

34. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,092) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I hadn't heard that tune before. Man, you made a full circle with egg cream and I learned some new stuff. I wish I could play you an Allman Brothers homage to peach cobbler... Oh well.

FFFjunkie, JBowenGeorgia and zid like this.
  35. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,595) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

pFriem's 'Double IPA'

4/5 rDev -5.7%
    look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bright, golden body; dense, sculpted head, rich and creamy with loads of clinging foam inside the glass. Pretty subtle aroma; don't really smell much of anything except some very faint berry and floral notes. Outstanding honey and biscuit malt flavor; hop bitterness neatly counterpointing the malt sweetness. Rich and heavy body; exceptionally smooth and velvety on the palate; malt warmth with a mild alcohol heat adding to the picture.

I really outstanding double IPA with the oddness of very little aroma to the nose. But, man, the looks, taste, and mouthfeel are extraordinary!

--------------------------

This was one of my recent Tavour delivered beers, and like so many other pFriem beers (acquired online or locally), this one has been quite enjoyable. I get leery of ordering IPAs through Tavour as by the time I get my crate, so much time has elapsed between the beer's packaging, my ordering, and the inherent delivery delay, well, many IPAs seem to lose potency and allure. Not so much with pFriem. In fact, my first beer today was another pFriem -- their Dank IPA -- which was packaged mid-October. My first bottle tasted excellent in early December and my final bottle today was still a treat. All I can say is I'm glad I ordered a second bottle of this DIPA. I'm sure I'll knock out that one within a few days, but even if I delay that plan, I'm quite sure the beer will still deliver the goods.

36. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Greetings all and thanks as always to our host. It's a beautiful January day here and I'm hoping my hike with the dog has burned enough calories to justify my calorie heavy entry today.

A while back it was noted here on BA that the new Guinness barrel aged stout is in fact made from their Antwerp stout that they released last year. I had and enjoyed it back then, so I thought a head to head tasting would be fun. As luck would have it ,there is a liquor store not far from me that has had a lonely 4 pack sitting on their shelf ever since the release, so I snagged it and hoped I'd be able to find some of the barreled version to compare. The stars finally aligned this week!

The Antwerp clocks in at 8% ABV while the barreled version is 10% ABV and aged in Bulleit barrels. I was planning to try and do this blind (one would hope a barrel vs. non-barrel tasting wouldn't require this, but you never know) but the head differential made that impossible. On to the beer:

[​IMG]

After 10 minutes:

[​IMG]

Look

Antwerp: Deep, impenetrable black with a big, frothy tan head that lasts and lasts

Barrel: Deep, impenetrable black with a small tan head that lasts well for its size

Smell

Antwerp: Lots of leather and licorice along with some milk/malted chocolate. There's also the familiar sort of sweet and creamy smell that I associate with regular Guinness.

Barrel: Immediately smells much more deep and intense than the Antwerp. Still a lot of licorice, but it has more of a dark and almost burnt quality now. Leather is still there. The chocolate is darker now but it brings along some vanilla and maybe cinnamon? Definitely some booze on the nose though I'm not sure it screams bourbon per se. I give the Antwerp another sniff and it seems *very* light and clean compared to the dark richness of this.

Taste:

Antwerp: Taste follows the nose with the malted chocolate taking center stage from the licorice and leather. Finishes very clean with a little bitterness in the cheeks and a fleeting, slightly sweet aftertaste.

Barrel: Putting this up to my face I'm again struck by just how much more intense and rich this is. There's the bourbon! Taste otherwise follows the nose though the leather and licorice again take a back seat to the chocolate. It tastes a little sweeter than the nose would suggest and I'm not getting the bitterness in the cheeks I got from the Antwerp. Taste lingers much more in the back of the throat though with a definite bourbon reminder.

Feel:

Antwerp: Surprisingly thin and almost a little watery for an 8% stout. This makes it very drinkable, but if I'm going to be drinking something that boozy I'd prefer something a bit more chewy that I could slowly savor rather than feeling immediately ready for the next sip.

Barrel: Much more substantial feeling though perhaps still a touch thin considering the abv and barrel aging. Certainly makes the "sit and savor" cut though.

These are both super tasty but I think the Barrel Aged version is a better example of what it's trying to be than the Antwerp is. The latter is just a little too thin for its ABV in my book while the barreled version is getting a lot of mileage out of its relatively low ABV for the style. If there's anything that really makes these stand out from the pack it's the strong licorice/leather character which to me seems pretty unique. And it's worth mentioning that these are both very reasonably priced with the Antwerp 4 pack under $10 and the Barrel version under $20 (I paid $16).

Cheers all!

#76 meefmoff, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  37. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,544) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Great Sunday afternoon, New Beer Sippers and commentators. New beer #1 is a Barrel-Aged Stout from Wicked Weed. It was a Christmas gift from my daughter who brought me several North Carolina beers. Some of WW's big stouts are very, very good. Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed by this offering. On the one hand I'm glad it isn't cloyingly sweet; on the other hand the various flavors seem to get lost and it's overtly boozy, even for me. On my scale I'm still a little over 4 but I was expecting a lot more. Here's my full review:

4.06/5 rDev -3.8%
    look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a Wicked Weed snulip glass. It pours nearly ink black with a thin, foamy, khaki-colored head that dissipated rapidly leaving thin, spotty lacing. On the nose there is cocoa, freshly-brewed coffee, vanilla, toffee, and a whiff of maple syrup. Although subtle at first the bourbon smell becomes more apparent as the glass warms. The taste is coffee-forward and the bourbon is stronger than I expected. Swishing it around my mouth I taste the maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon but it finishes surprisingly bitter with notes of burnt coffee, char, and tobacco. I'm glad it's not cloyingly sweet but it comes across as a little bland. The feel is also a bit thin for such a big Stout. There is moderate carbonation and you don't miss the 12.3% ABV. It's pretty hot. Overall, while there is nothing wrong with this stout it didn't wow me as I thought it would. Some of Wicked Weed's BA Stouts are more memorable than this one.

I hope you're all enjoying your new beer(s) today. I'll be back with a review of a local IPA. Cheers, NBSers!

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 36 others like this.
  38. SawDog505

Society

[​IMG] Poured into a 16 oz Hop Slam Snulip glass the canning thing is strange on this one, thinking 3 or 4 weeks old. Pours a very hazy orange with a 2 finger sticky white head that coats the sides of the glass with thick patches of lace. 4.25

Smell is apricot, hard apple candy, honey dew, pine, and grapefruit rind. 4.25

Taste follows apricot, hard candy, melon, tangerine, and some grapefruit. 4.25

Mouthfeel is bigger than average, sticky fairly soft mouthfeel, and goes down very easy at 8% ABV. 4.25

Overall I am struggling to find many complaints with this one, just solid all the way around and again at an excellent price. 4.25

Ozzylizard, LeRose, strohme2 and 35 others like this.
  39. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Foreign Objects – Fascination Street
    Canned on Dec. 27, 2018.

[​IMG]

Look: Murky bright yellow body; a finger of head on a semi-aggressive pour; decent head retention; amazing lacing.

Smell: Tropical. Notes of mango, papaya, and tangerine.

Taste: Follows the nose; very tropical and juicy; lots of papaya and mango.

Feel: Very good NEIPA; medium body and carbonation; no apparent alcohol.

Conclusion: This one hits the spot. Out of the three Foreign Objects beers that I’ve had (other two were Willful Delusion and Wet Gravity), this is the best one.

4.5 | 4.25 | 4.25 | 4.5 | 4.25
    Overall: 4.29 (rDev +2.6%)

40. zid

zid Meyvn (1,265) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I’m convinced that if I had that glass I’d spill some beer every time I used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.