News Samuel Adams Summer Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS, Jan 6, 2018.

1. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (43) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

Pete9094 likes this.
  2. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (215) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I think that these will be Spring seasonals/in the Spring pack, I do not think that the recent Lager pack is the Spring seasonal pack.

3. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I disagree because I’m the past Sammy has released the summer pack as early as March 1st according to some older trends on here

4. ESHBG

I guess time will tell.

5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,296) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

SA needs to hire someone with an art background. They have to be one of the worst labels in the industry.

6. tzieser

tzieser Savant (955) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

The return of Pale Ale?! I really hope it's their classic English pale ale recipe but I won't hold my breath.

Also, I'm with @AZBeerDude72 those labels are absolutely hideous. I bet BBC paid big bucks for their brand re-design, too. It has the opposite effect for me, makes me want to not buy them.

#6 tzieser, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I usually don't care about labels all that much since we are drinking the product but these just have a way of making me want to not buy the beer. I agree with you, not sure what it is but they are pushing me away from the beer not towards it lol.

8. tzieser

Trader

I'm the same way. If it's a good beer I don't care if the packaging is (I'm quoting American Graffiti here) "Sort of a cross between piss yella' and puke green"....that being said though, branding and labeling has a way of subliminally attracting the consumer to the product. There is nothing about these labels that attracts me to the product :nauseated_face:

9. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I am still confused as to their choice? Who at SA said these are cool or good? You would think they would have done market research and asked. I don't know one person who says they are better. I know this is petty but like you said, marketing gets customers and these make the beer look like some off lable generic.

Gemini6 and tzieser like this.
  10. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (517) Dec 12, 2014 California

I liked their old labels better, but these ones are not terrible IMO. For some reason I like the Fresh as Helles label quite a bit

11. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I remember the fall pack from like two years ago the one with like the bonfire blonde and stuff in it and just the package the beers came in alone made me want to buy it with the fall trees on the box. And the labels on the beer too just begged you to pick them up. I see what you all are saying

12. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (227) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

^Haha I remember Bonfire Blonde quite well. One of my least favorite beers that they have put out from the past couple of years.

13. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (641) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

While not a great label they are not horrible.....I think in the general publis this label will be good for SA. While I did not like the old Troegs labels I think the new are horrible but the general beer public seems to really like them. I think the new SA labels will stand out a bit on the shelf,

Anyone ever find that lager pack that was posted a bit back? Any thoughts on the beers in it? Still not seen it

Enjoy

DrewSnyc667 likes this.
  14. ESHBG

It's everywhere, Wegman's, distributors... I enjoyed it and it was well worth the purchase. If I had to pick a favorite it was the coffee Lager but they all were enjoyable.

15. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,817) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

Ahhhh... I'm OK with those labels, they're fairly boring but they get the message across and they definitely look like summer beers. I'd chose one of those over "The Brown Note" label any day! :joy:

GOBLIN, PatrickCT and Gemini6 like this.
  16. DarkDragon999

Is there even going to be a Summer pack this year from them ? There was no Spring pack so maybe that's a sign idk.

tzieser likes this.
  17. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

The American Craft lagers pack I think was the spring pack

tzieser likes this.
  18. tzieser

Trader

19. DarkDragon999

Yeah I didnt understand that move at all. They have had other lager packs in the past and they didnt take the places of seasonals. Just wondering if this could be the start of a trend of breweries doing away with the seasonal pack branding. Sierra Nevada didnt have a Spring 18 seasonal pack either, they subbed it with the 4 way IPA thing.

ESHBG likes this.
  20. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,897) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

They did something like this back in 2015 where you got to vote for two beers to be included in a "Drinker's Favorites" pack. For some reason, they switched at the last minute to only include the top vote getter in the pack, which was Scotch Ale.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...r-a-limited-time-sam-adams-vault-vote.290763/

tzieser likes this.
  21. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

There spring seasonal is good this year Sierra Nevada Hop Bullet Double IPA. I would highly recommend you try it!

ESHBG likes this.
  22. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

I agree there is so many beers that they have made in the past that I want to try but couldn’t due to my age such as
    Hopflake white IPA
    Whitewater IPA
    hoppy red
    Bonfire blond
    Ginger beer
    Heaven or Helles
    Blueberry hills lager
    Ella blonc IPL
    harvest pumpkin ale
    Holiday porter

DrewSnyc667 and tzieser like this.
  23. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

That's because Heady Topper came in at #2 as a write-in. :wink:

Jacobier10 likes this.
  24. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,897) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

Whoops, I must have skipped over the rules section. Was I only allowed to vote once?!

zid likes this.
  25. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

You know what I’m ready for I know it’s off topic but Sierra nevadas Summerfest my favorite summer seasonal

LifeOfTheBeer, Tilley4 and CNoj012 like this.
  26. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

This would be my vote.

bmugan likes this.
  27. tzieser

Trader

Damn! You’re making me feel old lol. I’m 31 myself and I feel similar. I turned 21 in 2006 so I was only able to enjoy Double Bock for a year or two before they boosted the ABV to 9% and put it in 4 packs. I wish I got to enjoy more of the original version before they took it away.

Whitewater IPA was pretty good white IPA, (anyone remember that white IPA trend? sometimes I wonder if it was a precursor to this "haze craze" stuff we're dealing with now). Harvest Pumpkin was a solid pumpkin ale, better than most (though I liked Post Road Pumpkin a tad better). I don't think I tried anything else on your list aside from Holiday Porter, which is probably my favorite porter beer from the big craft beer guys. Too bad they won't release it on it's own

28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,618) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Yup, and the Black IPA trend too.

Some folks will make mention of these sorts of beers when discussing that the so called 'NE' style IPA will be a 'blip' as well.

Cheers!

tzieser likes this.
  29. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Do better labels make it taste better? Got no issue with them.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  30. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Advertising is a big part of sales ask any company. Does it make it taste better of course not, my point and those of others is a company of this size can make more of an effort in this department. In today's market it is critical to be as appealing as possible, I think a little face lift would do them a lot of good.
    Cheers

johnnybgood1999 and tzieser like this.
  31. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Really any arguments to be made about labels are purely subjective and a matter of personal tastes. Deeming one label "better" or more "appealing" than another is wholly in the eye of beholder.

tzieser likes this.
  32. DarkDragon999

Yeah my frst white IPA was Saranac White IPA and I ended up drain pouring it lol.

tzieser likes this.
  33. tzieser

Trader

Absolutely. While a label won't effect the flavor of a beer it will certainly influence brand interest and sales numbers as a result of that. The fact that Samuel Adams sales are still tanking after the brand re-design just reinforces the fact that the consumer is still not as interested in the brand compared to others on the market.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  34. Leebo

Ever drink any Maine beer Co? Plain white label, plain font text.

35. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (88) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Shorts, Weyerbacher, Troegs, Founders, Bells....all contenders for shittiest graphic design

I think BBC improved a great deal over the last year. Some missteps, such as their Boston Ale...but otherwise a major improvement

36. tzieser

Trader

I see what you're getting at but to deny the effects of branding or marketing on sales is ignorant at best. Nobody is discussing quality of product here.

37. tzieser

Trader

The same goes for beer opinions; this website was essentially founded on subjectivity. One mans PBR is another mans Pliny, if you will.

Dan411 likes this.
  38. Leebo

The point I was making was about the plain label of Maine Beer. Cheers.

39. tzieser

Trader

Sorry for misinterpreting your comment. I like MBC's minimalist label art. Kind of reminds me of Generic Beer. Cheers

Leebo likes this.
  40. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

I am a fan of the beers flavors first, that is what matters to me most. Can art and all is super cool but not a deciding factor when I buy, it comes down to quality of product first. I have not had Maine Beer Co.
    My entire point was that SA seems to have gone from good to worse with the labels, I actually enjoyed their old style over the new move, that is actually why I am confused they seem to have made it more generic on purpose.