Visiting Portland (Spring 2015 update)

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

A while back, it became clear that this forum could use an easily searchable "I'm visiting Portland, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the "must-hit" spots generally agreed upon by Portland BAs. Of course, recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Visit" Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Breakside Brewery
    Cascade Brewing Barrel House
    The Commons Brewery
    Deschutes Portland Pub
    Hair of the Dog Brewing
    Upright Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs
    Gigantic Brewing
    Hopworks Urban Brewery & Hopworks Bike Bar
    Laurelwood Brewing (multiple locations)
    Lompoc Brewing (multiple locations)
    Occidental Brewing

The Newcomers (breweries opened in the past year)
    Baerlic Brewing
    BTU Brasserie & Brewery
    Culmination Brewing
    Ex Novo Brewing
    Fat Head's Brewery
    Royale Brewing
    StormBreaker Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars / Bottle Shops
    APEX (Taproom, Bottles-to-go)
    Bailey's Taproom/The Upper Lip (Taproom, Crowler Fills, Growler Fills, Bottle List)
    The Beermongers (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills)
    Belmont Station (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Bridgetown Beerhouse (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills)
    The Green Dragon (Taproom, Food)
    The Growler Guys PDX (Taproom, Growler Fills, Bottles-to-go)
    The Hop & Vine (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Horse Brass Pub (Taproom, Food)
    Imperial Bottle Shop (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Bottle Fills)
    John's Marketplace (Bottle Shop)
    Oregon Hophouse: Hawthorne | 15th Avenue (Taproom, Growler Fills, Food)
    Roscoe's (Taproom, Growler Fills, Food)
    Saraveza (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Growler Fills, Food)
    Tin Bucket (Taproom, Bottle Shop, Counter Pressure Growler Fills)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants*
    Bazi Bierbrasserie
    Cheese Bar
    Cheese & Crack Snack Shop
    Grain & Gristle
    Higgins Restaurant
    Lardo
    Raven & Rose / The Rookery
    White Owl Social Club

* Just about any decent restaurant in PDX has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable. This might be the most debatable section of this thread. Eater PDX is a great food resource.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Portland BeerFly listing: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/16
    Willamette Week's 2015 Beer Guide: http://www.wweek.com/portland/beerguide

Some helpful maps
    digita7693’s map (beer map, restaurants, hotels, cafes, to-do)
    The Beer Mapping Project
    Oregon & Washington Brew Map
    Oregon Beer Country map

A couple of potential(ly dangerous) pub crawls
    The "Walk it Off" Pub Crawl (HotD > Bailey's >Deschutes > Upright > Burnside > Cascade)
    Inner SE Pub/Brewery Crawl (APEX > Beermongers > Baerlic > HotD > Commons > Cascade > Base Camp > Burnside)
    North Portland Pub Crawl (StormBreaker > Bridgetown Beerhouse > BikeBar > Sidebar > Tin Bucket > Ecliptic)

Transit
    PDX Bus (free and awesome app)
    Trimet

Portland Airport
    The beer flows at PDX as well. There are two Laurelwood brewpubs (concourses A & E), a Rogue brewpub (concourse D), and several other restaurants with good tap lists. Rogue and Laurelwood are both past security, so you can pick up bottles or growlers and carry them on the plane. There are also Made in Oregon stores past security with good bottle selections.

** Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be a catch-all for Portland beer establishments. There are literally hundreds of well-regarded beer institutions throughout the greater Portland area, many of which are not listed in this post. This thread is an attempt to present the most frequently recommended and highest-regarded spots often cited in the Northwest BA forum. Exploration and experimentation are certainly encouraged!

2. guajolote

2beerdogs, davey and BBThunderbolt like this.
  3. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Crusader (453) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

Just a thought on the North Portland pub crawl, I don't know if you're trying to only have a certain amount or whatever but wouldn't it make sense to put Ecliptic @1 since you're right there with Stormbreaker? Also could add Ex Novo to the end.

Just a thought. (Also that was my '15 Zwicklemania route.)

mactrail and guajolote like this.
  4. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey

woo hoo, new thread!

from an outsider's perspective, one suggestion I have is PDX-based day trips, or something like that. I imagine most people want to take the trip to De Garde, or Boneyard, or out toward the Columbia River Valley, etc.

But this is really the best region-specific guide I've seen (and I travel a lot). thanks!

kemoarps and guajolote like this.
  5. guajolote

My thinking on that route was that you'd start and end in pretty much the same spot. But since it's just a big square, I guess you could start anywhere and end close to where you started. I didn't think to add Ex Novo, but that can be changed pretty easily.

The problem I've run into with past versions of this thread is that there are character limits on posts, so I try to keep it succinct. @maltmaster420 suggested creating a google doc that wouldn't be so limited, and we could easily add stuff like the day trips. That will take some work to create, but I'll try to work on it for the next update when I get time.

Also, I suppose you could do a day trip to Boneyard from Portland, but I wouldn't suggest it. I would, however, suggest at least a two day side trip (time permitting) to Bend to better experience what that awesome town has to offer. There's also a Visiting Bend/Sunriver thread that will help with trip planning. Enjoy your trip, @markgugs!

6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

While Hood River/The Gorge is a day trip from PDX, I'd suggest making it the first day/night of a 3day side trip to Bend. Head out to Hood River (making sure to visit Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon WA, just across the bridge) and try the beers there. Next morning roll down to bend, for the rest of that day, and all of the next. Then roll on back up to PDX.

A nice day trip would be from PDX out to Astoria, then down to Tillamook, back into PDX.

vurt and markgugs like this.
  7. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

in the future i could see a great loop of wolves & people > pelican > de grade for a nice day trip.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Any word from W&P lately?

9. guajolote

This thread was getting dangerously close to the bottom of the page.

Anyway, here's a potentially interesting offer for anyone looking for lodging on a trip to Portland: Jupiter Hotel Brews & Booze Experience, which includes:
    • Overnight stay at the Jupiter Hotel,
    • Complimentary 32 oz. Collectors’ Edition Jupiter Hotel Growler,
    • A bucket of Portland craft beer from Base Camp Brewing,
    • The 2015 Distillery Row Passport, which includes complimentary tastings at all seven craft distillers on Portland’s Distillery Row, tasting notes, mixologist recipes, and a food & drink guide at local pubs & eateries,
    • A custom Jupiter Hotel collector’s key chain bottle opener,
    • A gift certificate for a box of Voodoo Doughnuts (breakfast, or late night treats - they’re open 24 hours!),
    • A copy of the 2015 Portland brew fest calendar,
    • And free wifi & on-site parking included.
    ----------
    Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with the Jupiter (unless you count staying there twice). It's a cool spot and conveniently located, meaning easy access to tons of bars, breweries, restaurants and other fun Portland stuff (like *ahem,* Union Jacks & Sassy's) within a couple mile radius.

#9 guajolote, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    sharpski likes this.
  10. breadwinner

breadwinner Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 California

Anyone happen to get a glimpse of the bottle selection at the Made in Oregon stops in PDX Airport? Got a friend passing through for a weekend. Carry-on only for him, so only option appears to be the Made in Oregon stores inside the terminals. Would love to snag some Heater Allen lagers, but not sure if they're carried there. Any info would be much appreciated -- thanks, all!

anteater likes this.
  11. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Usually you can get Logsdon, a few Cascade bottles, Reverand Nat's Cider, Ninkasi, Rogue etc.. Laurelwood also has a pub in the airport that sells Workhorse bombers.

12. guajolote

http://www.madeinoregon.com/Oregon-Craft-Beer-and-Cider/

This will give you a general idea of what they carry. The stores will have some of this, but doubtful that they'll have everything listed on the site. I've never seen Heater Allen beers there, and they're not listed on the site. Also keep in mind that nothing at Made in Oregon is refrigerated.

13. breadwinner

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. Saw this one on the website, as well as the schwarz and one other, so was hoping they'd be in the stores, but kinda figured the brick and mortar may not have as much as online. No worries either way -- I'm sure my friend won't have too hard a time finding something new to bring back.

http://www.madeinoregon.com/Heater-Allen-Coastal-Lager-Beer-22oz.html

14. guajolote

My bad. I guess I didn't look at the site very closely! I always see Logsdon stuff there. I'd suggest the Seizoen or Seizoen Bretta if available.

breadwinner likes this.
  15. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

I've also seen the Commons at the made in Oregon store. That might be a great pick up to.

I think Heater Allen makes it down to NorCal, not sure where you are though.

Edit: I think I speak for the whole world when I say that Heater Allen is awesome and makes delicious beer. HOWEVER, their coastal is my least favorite by far. Just some food for thought.

second edit: also tell him to look for Breakside IPA. GABF gold medal winner.

breadwinner likes this.
  16. breadwinner

Thanks for the thoughts, man -- funny, I almost included in my original post that I was going to ask my buddy to grab some Breakside IPA if available as well but thought the Heater Allen request might've been tough enough on its own. Either way, looks like I have a tidy list indeed for him to be on the lookout for.

I'm in AZ these days, so sadly no Heater Allen around here. Really just the big stuff like Rogue, Ninkasi, Deschutes, etc.

17. zestd

zestd Savant (1,027) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

Okay, child-friendly places?

18. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Deschutes, Breakside, Hopworks, Upright (somehow), that's a start...

19. mactrail

mactrail Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,403) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is great, thanks very much! Now someone needs to make some google maps with the beer pins dropped and show the light rail, Portland trolley, and bus lines to make the connections. But I hope to have a bicycle when I'm there in May.

20. Strangestbrewer

Strangestbrewer Crusader (453) Oct 17, 2014 Oregon

I think that Breakside's original locale is child friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.