What beer fests do you miss?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,170) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Planning Extreme Beer Fest: Cyberspace has got me all nostalgic for beer fests. I've been to hundreds of them around the globe and hosted over 70 of our own over the years. Kerstbierfestival (Essen, Belgium), Nacht Van De Grote Dorst (Dilbeek, Belgium), Zythos Bierfestival (Leuven, Belgium), The Festival (Worcester, Mass.), NERAX (Boston, Mass.), Great American Beer Festival (Denver, Colo.), Oktoberfest (Munich, Germany), Pils & Love (Marina del Rey, Calif.), and so many others that I miss and have given me inspiration over the years. But I really miss our Extreme Beer Fest; the caliber of beer and people is epic.

Here's a promo video shot at Extreme Beer Fest: Boston back in 2014...

...so many feels.

What beer fests do you miss?

(If you don't miss beer fests or don't like them, please back away form the thread and :poop: eleswhere.)

2. Britt

Britt Events Manager (1,530) Apr 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Staff Fest Crew Society

Aside from all of the BA fests (which are at the top of my most-missed fests list), I was really bummed to miss out on Cambridge Brewing Company's Great Pumpkin Fest for the first time in 9 years

AlcahueteJ, SABERG, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  3. Todd

Best festival of pumpkin beers ever! I miss all of CBC's events; and living mere blocks away.

4. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (165) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

I miss the obvious one, GABF. I had attended the past 12 years, but I still got excited when the bagpipers would march through the hall to signify the beginning of the fest. And then it was on! I always started out with a sensible plan to try beers but it always ended up in OH! This booth has THIS! And the next booth has THIS! and so on. Multiple sessions became a must (never Saturday night, though. I have standards). I was able to many of the beers I had only read about on BA and discovered some hidden gems.
    GABF became so much more than just the fest, with the East Meets West IPA event at Falling Rock one of the highlights, though I would wake up Thursday morning wondering how I was going to make it through three more days of beer. Falling Rock was the main game in town when I started going to GABF but place like Freshcraft and Euclid Hall started putting on big events. Then more and more choices like First Draft, Hops and Pie Finn's Manor, Star Bar...it became so you had to map out the highest priority events, as well as finding time to hit Mr. B's, Argonaut, Molly's, etc. for all the beer drops.
    I won't miss the $1,000+ bill for the hotel in Denver during GABF, but I'm hopeful to get back there next year.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Aspirant (219) Nov 5, 2019 Canada (ON)

I really miss Mondial de la Biere in Montreal. Been going for years and years and was sad this year was lost. Covers the Quebec scene very well, always has several high quality American brewers both established and new, gets in some lesser known quality brewers from more off the radar countries like Italy and Brazil and has a very congenial and relaxed vibe. A great festival in a great city.

6. Todd

I attended Mondial de la Bière back in 2004. Awesome time. Hope to get back to Montreal one day...

gueuzegeek, ChicagoJ, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  7. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (792) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Firestone Walker Invitational, Zwanze Day and Fobab are yearly events for me. Hopefully one or two make a comeback in 2021.

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ, Jack_14 and 7 others like this.
  8. pants678

pants678 Champion (855) Jan 26, 2009 California
    Trader

Copenhagen Beer Celebration

duceswild, ChicagoJ, DOiNK and 4 others like this.
  9. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (8,113) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Living in Chicagoland FOBAB has become an annual tradition that was sorely missed this year. Was hoping to finally get to Great Taste this year too, alas another year!

ChicagoJ, eppCOS, Todd and 2 others like this.
  10. IKR

IKR Crusader (756) May 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Pizza Port Strong Ale Festival and Real Ale Festival. The Strong Ale Festival was like Woodstock to Hippies, you weren't there if you can remember being there :grin:

11. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (426) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah this should have been my.....7th FoBAB? And I was supposed to head to Tulsa for the Hop Jam which I thought was a very well run event last year.

12. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,376) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Dark Lord Day is the granddaddy of them all (at least regarding craft and release-centric stateside) and still can't be beat. Really bummed we weren't able to party out in Munster this year.

Tampa Bay Beer Week is my second favorite due to its weeklong shenanigans. So many different releases and mini-festivals leading up to the always fun Hunahpu's Day.

TonyLuvsBeer and IKR like this.
  13. Todd

Attended some of the early ones. Damn good times.

johnInLA and IKR like this.
  14. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,266) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

Fresh Hop Festival in Yakima
    Washington Brewer's Festival
    Washington Hop Mob's kickoff was a TIPA festival until the most recent year
    Hard Liver Fest (barleywine festival)
    Zwanze Day

Now I am filled with sadness
    :sob:

ChicagoJ, DadwithBeer, vurt and 6 others like this.
  15. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,400) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Another vote for Firestone Walker Invitational. Such a great event, with added bonuses that I get to see friends that live in the area and grab fresh Pivo.

ChicagoJ, Vitacca, johnInLA and 3 others like this.
  16. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,546) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

GABF
    FOBAB
    Big North
    (Half Acre specific - tough patooties if you don't like it). :wink:

SFACRKnight, ChicagoJ, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  17. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,485) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Personally, I miss the BXL Beer Fest in Brussels and Cantillon's Quintessence.

duceswild, Jack_14, IKR and 2 others like this.
  18. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,592) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Zwanze Day. :cry:

AlcahueteJ, Vitacca, Jack_14 and 2 others like this.
  19. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,756) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Besides BA fests #NotAnAd.....

WeldWerks Invitational
    Zwanze Day
    GABF
    Denver Rare Beer Tasting

ChicagoJ, BarleyWhyNot, Britt and 2 others like this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,783) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

This. I missed it this year. My neighbor and I had our own, but it's just not the same.

IKR, pjeagles, eppCOS and 1 other person like this.
  21. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (10,127) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

GABF in the late 90s, when it was held in Currigan Hall and the real glass tasters crashed to the floor every so often. And it was largely brewpubs no one had ever heard of.

ChicagoJ, IKR, pjeagles and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (286) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

I think we worked EBF 2014 and really enjoyed it. Was that the juice machine and toppling Goliath year?

23. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (11,278) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Monk's, a local taproom, holds two small beerfests on site, and I hope they'll resume by next fall. They usually have a few hundred attendees and manage to get 50 to 75 incredible selections, some of which are new releases or one-offs.

IKR and Todd like this.
  24. cryptichead

cryptichead Poo-Bah (1,583) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Miss FOBAB - it was a highlight of the fall season

ChicagoJ, Vitacca, IKR and 2 others like this.
  25. rodbeermunch

rodbeermunch Poo-Bah (6,222) Sep 30, 2015 Nevada
    Society Trader

Firestone Walker
    SFBW (DIPA Fest/Sour Sunday)
    Bistro Barrel Aged/Wood
    Eclipse Party (been to every single one)
    Bruery Anniversary

And I dunno, basically every vacation I take is pretty much like a beer festival.

bauers, jlen427, Vitacca and 6 others like this.
  26. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (81) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Borefts (De Molen) in Bodegraven, NL (September). Always well-run, with a great selection of eclectic breweries and a wonderful crowd. I go almost every year and it broke my heart to see it (understandably) cancelled this year.

duceswild, ChicagoJ, rgordon and 3 others like this.
  27. onezendad

onezendad Initiate (52) Apr 16, 2018 Canada (ON)

Locally:
    Witchstock at Bellwoods
    Cask Days
    Sourpallouza (they did a virtual but it too pricey for me)

Miss not having an EBF in Feb.
    Nucleate was in the plans for this year.
    GABF & Wakefest are on my ToDo list.

ChicagoJ, IKR and Todd like this.
  28. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (595) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Beervana Fest a few miles down the road from me which was scheduled for 4 weeks ago I believe, the best part was having my SIL as designated driver. The most laid back fest you can get with all the great beers the brewers bring annually.

followerofmen, ChicagoJ, IKR and 2 others like this.
  29. Pinz412

Pinz412 Disciple (336) Nov 20, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

A lot of the larger beerfests that hit my area have fallen out of favor with me because it ends up being mostly beers that can be found on the shelves in the area. That said, I was very excited to go to Voodoo's Good Vibes fest this year before it had to be canceled. It always hosts a great assortment of breweries that mostly only distribute near their respective areas. It's a great fest to try new stuff, and some of the breweries break out some truly spectacular beers.

Also, last year Hop Culture relocated their operations to Pittsburgh. They put on some really fantastic smaller fests that only consist of 10-15 breweries serving 3-4 beers each. When I look at the menus for those fests I typically want to try 90% of what's on tap.

The current state of things is unfortunate for fest goers, but I do love the idea of virtual fests and I'm very excited the Extreme Beer Fest coming up early next year.

Cakeatron, IKR and Todd like this.
  30. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,049) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

I attended GABF for the first time last year and was looking forward to it again this year.

Firestone Walker Invitational and FOBAB have always been bucket list festivals for me that I've yet to attend. Hoping these both become a thing again once it's safe and appropriate to do so.

Definitely looking forward to Virtual EBF!

ChicagoJ, Vitacca, IKR and 1 other person like this.
  31. Travitten

Travitten Disciple (388) Feb 8, 2014 Iowa
    Trader

MWBBF. Side Project and Perrenial showin up!

IKR and Todd like this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,416) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

The Casper locals.

IKR and ManBearPat like this.
  33. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,304) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

There was only about a year Around 2009 where I was really into beer and went to fests but they were all fun.
    *GABF (release of Black Tuesday) + A couple side events, one was called rare beer tasting in Denver.
    *Woodshop #2 In Anaheim?
    *Bistro ipa fest in Hayward, ca
    *Christmas in July at Lost Abbey (release of duck duck gooze)
    *an Oregon festival. Forget the name, but was on the waterfront section of Portland in summertime.

would definitely like to get to the other fests some time, FW invitational, Hunaphu day, DLD, ba extreme. It’s hard that these are so popular it’s difficult to get tickets.

IKR, johnInLA, SP23 and 1 other person like this.
  34. JBogan

JBogan Champion (862) Jul 15, 2007 California

Another vote for Borefts. Always a fantastic collection of incredible beers showcasing a wide variety of styles, a wonderful setting under the old windmill next to the canal, and really awesome people. Damn I miss that festival.

35. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,328) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Only for ones I've been to:
    Snallygaster
    EBF
    All of CBC's fests
    Zwanze
    All of Notch's fests

36. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (166) May 5, 2013 Illinois

FOBAB for sure (I live outside Chicago). I also miss all of the local 'anniversary' parties for breweries- Solemn Oath, Penrose, Alter, Lagunitas Beer Circus etc all usually do something really fun.

ChicagoJ, IKR and Todd like this.
  37. LXIXME

LXIXME Poo-Bah (4,027) Oct 3, 2007 New Mexico
    Society

The list of what I miss is to long and painful to get into on this forum. But, I'll tell you one positive thing to come from it: I'm going to Extreme Beer Fest at the beginning of February. Thanks BA.

jlen427, IKR and Todd like this.
  38. Rocktire

Rocktire Aspirant (255) Jan 15, 2017 New York
    Society

TapNY

Runemagic7, IKR and Todd like this.
  39. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,332) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Blue Point's Cask Ale Festival. This was the first year since 2009 I didn't go to one.

IKR and Todd like this.
  40. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (927) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

But wait! Do you consider Woodshop a beer festival?

Always thought of it as a very special bottle share.

IKR likes this.