Rip Van Winkle Beer

From:
Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Rip Van Winkle BeerRip Van Winkle Beer
Notes:
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 31 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
DPSFiremedic from Kansas

3.06/5  rDev -14%

Not what I was expecting. The label does not describe the beer at all. It tastes more like a barley wine to me. Very malty!! Good head retention and color but would be helpful if you knew what to expect.

Sep 08, 2016
hoptheology from South Dakota

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

Retired....like a car with bald ones? Oh, it must mean it's not available. But I bought it yesterday, so....

Appearance : Fiery orange with ruby highlights; opacity of 30%, SRM of...14 maybe? Head is admirable, 2 fingers, receding to 1/2, leaving speckles of lace behind.

Smells like fresh toast, just lightly crispy. Beyond that is a little bit of blood orange, pineapple, and prune. Pass the butter knife, it's breakfast time.

This one is a little off-balance. It starts off super malty with a crisp caramel sweetness, then it digs into the prune and fig territory, mashing in oranges and grapefruit rinds. Normally this would be more of a Barleywine thing, if executed properly. However, it is not. Overall it just feels unbalanced, trying to be hoppy but fighting all the way down with the malty sweetness, even becoming cloyingly bitter after awhile (oxymoron?).

Feel is medium bodied, starchy, mildly carbonated, and a parchy finish.

This beer is more in line with an Altbier, and I would have suspected someone placed the wrong style when adding it. However, Weston's website lists this as a German Bock, and this is nowhere NEAR a German Bock. Okay as an Altbier, absoluely shameful as a German Bock.

May 09, 2016
BeerWithMike from Nebraska

4.06/5  rDev +14%

Sampled back on 3/19/16. Comes in a 12-ounce can that I picked up a few weeks ago as part of the "Make your own 6" from the Hy-Vee in Papillion, Nebraska (Shadow Lake location). Last review on here was back in 2012? Huh? Anyway, there is NO DATE on the label at all. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a "BUD LIGHT-OMAHA" pint glass.

Brew pours a hazy rich mahogany in color with a good 1+-finger creamy/foamy off-white head which left a good amount of lacing when sipped. Aroma is of sweet malts, dark fruits and caramel malts. Taste is close to the aroma with a hint of brown sugar also. No harsh or bitterness at all for this '"limited brew" (brewed once). Medium-bodied with good carbonation. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Mar 28, 2016
zeff80 from Missouri

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle. Poured out a clear, reddish orange color with a small, tan head of foam. It smelled of caramel, toffee and floral notes. Sweet caramel and toffee flavor with a subtle bitterness.

Feb 18, 2014
AlCaponeJunior from Texas

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Kinda orange and cloudy with a one finger head with some staying power and decent lace.

Smell is malty, bready, a little yeast, pretty subdued.

Taste is very sweet, malty with biscuit, caramel, bready notes, with little hop character.

Body is pretty thick and full with a slightly cloyingly sweet finish. Carbonation is pretty light.

It's not bad but I don't think it's spectacular. A pretty good example of a bock I suppose but I'm not wild about it.

Aug 18, 2012
russpowell from Arkansas

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent amber with a finger of tan head. Very good lacing & good head retention

S: Brown bread & pears

T: Brown bread, pears, white grapes, some woody hops up front. More fruittyness as this warms, slight green apple skin & caramel, some dryness. Finishes fruitty, dry & slightly sweet

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, slight grainyness, thins out a touch as it warms

A servicable bock, nothing to get excited about, but not bad. Easily one of the better beers from these guys

Jun 26, 2012
JuicesFlowing from Kansas

3.41/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a nice amber/mahogany color. An off-white head sits tightly on top for a while until receding to a film. Surprisingly decent lacing. The beer smells like an alcohol bomb straight off, but is coated with faint bready, yeasty aroma. Again, the taste follows the smell, and I'm getting strong alcohol right off the bat. Somewhere in there though hides some malty body, with some biscuits and even a faint bitterness. The mouthfeel is heavy and carbonated.

Overall, very disappointed. I was hoping for more flavor and less alcohol in this. And I'm going to be honest, i only bought it for the artwork, which is actually exceptional, but that doesn't go into the score, unfortunately.

Jun 23, 2012
WhiskeeTango from Missouri

1.6/5  rDev -55.1%

Okay, so I bought a bottle of this at my local liquor store. Was very excited when I first saw it on the shelf. Got it home, popped the top off, started pouring... a large... what I can only describe as a 'gelatinous blob' plopped out of the bottle and splooshed itself into my almost full pint glass. I stared at it for a few moments, whilst it took a meandering lap around it's amber pool, and wondered what in the hell it could be.

Needless to say I did not drink any of Rip Van Winkles special delivery and have not ventured to buy another bottle as of yet. I still do not know what the hell the thing was that hid itself in there but I can say, with some certitude, that I do not wish to meet it again.

A - I think the brew was an amber brown... I think. It was hard to see past the aforementioned gelatinous blob.

S - I did, however, take a whiff of the beer and it really did smell quite good. Notes of a sweet caramel and bread were hinted at.

T - The taste was disappointing in that I was disappointed that I did not get to taste it.

M - I can only assume that the mouthfeel would have been somewhat akin to having a severe nasal infection and hocking up a loogie in your mouth. And then swallowing. No thank you.

O - I really hope that sometime in the future I will give this beer another chance. As it is now, every time I see it on the shelf all I can think of is the 'plop' sound made by that blob.

Jun 22, 2012
scratch69 from Missouri

4.38/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Dark amber color with two fingers worth of tan head. Fair amount of clinging lace.

Smell- Bread, caramel, and a small hint of alcohol.

Taste- Rich malt sweetness and caramel with a tiny trace of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

Overall- One of Weston Brewing Co. better beers. I toured the brewery with the hopes of sampling this one and I was very impressed. I enjoyed 2 with my dinner that night and brought a bottle home. Very enjoyable. I can't wait until this hits the stores.

Jun 21, 2012
rfbenavi80 from Missouri

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

A local brewery here in the Kansas City area, Weston Brewing Co. doesn't get enough love. Saw this one and did not think twice about picking it up. Bottle poured into a pilsner glass, an aggressive pour.

A- Pours a dark amber with 3 fingers of thick, foamy, light tan head that is taking it's pleasant time leaving creating a thick cap on top of the beer and some huge chunks of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet and bready. A little yeasty.

T- Pretty sweet, a tasty blend of caramel and toffee, only getting a little balancing bitterness. It is mostly malt sweetness coming through.

M- Medium body with a little amount of carbonation.

O- I am pleased. A good beer from a small local Brewery.

Jun 02, 2012
KansasBeerLover from Kansas

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a bomber into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Clear amber body with 1.5 finger head. The head is beige, with medium bubbles. In 2 minutes the head is merely a wisp leaving some lacing on the sides. The only carbonation present is from the SA disk etched in the glass.

Smell - Mild. Malt, a hint of yeast.

Taste - A nice blend of malt, caramel and toffee. Slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with no carbonation. Slight sweetness followed by a moderate bitter. Dissipates from the palate after a short time.

Overall - My success with Weston beer has not gone well. This one ranks second from the top. It is a simple beer and easy to drink. Smooth certainly. I might buy it again.

Apr 13, 2012