Word To Your Mother | Mother Earth Brewing

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by chinchill on 04-24-2013

Reviews by hellhammermario:

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A collaboration with NoDa Brewing, this apricot saison was created for NC Beer Month (2013). Served on tap at NoDa Brewing.

Pours hazy red-amber with a creamy and durable tan head that leaves fine lacing patterns.

Smell is an unusual mix of a pleasing floral/fruity component with a bit of yeasty, vinegary funk (mainly vinegar).
The taste follows but seems more integrated and more floral. It also has a hint of vanilla. Slightly challenging for me, but perhaps less so than most saisons.

M: nicely smooth with a medium-full body and pleasing if rather lively carbonation. Slightly astringent.

O: very good for style; well-proportioned addition of apricot. I hate vinegar, so the hint of it in this brew really lowered my enjoyment.

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Bottlemixx

A - dark amber with a thin lacing of white head

S - pear, apple, caramel, some Belgian yeast

T - pear, apple, caramel, some faint spices, heavy cinnamon, nutmeg

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a decent offering from NoDa and Mother Earth. I like the cinnamon notes that I get, but I don't get much of a saison feel. There are some nice estery notes, but the caramel malt is a bit intense for my liking in this style. Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It is definitely worth a try though I would like to see a fine-tuned version in the near future.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%