Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Roggenbier | Copper Kettle Brewing Company

copperkettledenver.com

Style: Roggenbier

Added by Rayek on 05-08-2011

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sensationally gulpable dark brown beer.

Rich, mouth-filling flavor. Nice carbonation on the tongue. Head is modest, nice lacing in the pint glass. Really spicy with a Hefeweizen kind of clove note. You realize it's on the sweet side after a few swallows. Malt on the lips. Flavors of fresh bread, a touch of raisings. Interesting bitterness and a touch of rye sourness. My first Roggenbier and a click of the heels to Copper Kettle in Aurora for exploring another interesting German style.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Was served this in a pint glass. Deep copper/red color with a small head. The flavors of the caraway and clove are very dominant in both the smell and the taste of this beer. The finish was where I think this doesn't quite come up to other rye beers I have had. While it is good, it finishes very dry in the back of your mouth, with a strong aftertaste of the clove. While I like the beer, and I would get it again, I would have to say I have had better.

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Copper Kettle's Roggenbier presents itself with a deep copper hue and a light haze. Its wispy eggshell head falls to a thin film and leaves patches of lace.

The distinct caraway bite of rye in this beer is noticeable, but not dominating. It's balanced by baking chocolate, lemon and a bit of clove. Balance is spot on and the beer finishes with lingering caraway, clove and lemon flavors. The unfiltered body is slightly syrupy and posses about the right amount of fizz.

This is my first Roggenbier, so I can't speak too much to how close this matches the style. However, I have had plenty of Rye beers and this one matches up well against them.

Roggenbier from Copper Kettle Brewing Company