Strawberry Short's Cake | Short's Brewing Company

Strawberry Short's CakeStrawberry Short's Cake

Short's Brewing Company
shortsbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Strawberry Short’s Cake is a Golden Ale brewed with the addition of strawberries and milk sugar. The flavors of shortcake and fresh strawberries transform this beer into rose-colored party nectar that is pleasingly sweet with hints of cream. Biscuit flavors and aromas arise from the use of large amounts of Victory malt.

Added by akorsak on 07-20-2009

3.99/5  rDev +8.7%

12 fl. oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

This beer pours a ruddy amber color with a slight haze. It is topped with an inch of tan head that leaves pretty much no lacing.

It smells like strawberries and cream.

The taste is loaded with sweet strawberries. The lactose is there but not as prevalent as I expected.

Medium bodied

This is a nice fruit/dessert beer. I expected a sweet mess. It is not too sweet, and the strawberry taste is better than most strawberry beers that I have tried.

3.42/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap. Pours clear, gold in color with minimal head. Taste is strawberry and cake batter. Light bodied, sweet, with moderate carbonation. Enjoyable strawberry beer in true Shorts style. Good if you like fruit beer.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not bad for a fruit beer but it is a fruit beer

3.96/5  rDev +7.9%

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brown body, semi-opaque, pink-red highlights. White head, sticky lacing. Nose is lactic and yogurt, flavor introduces a sour fruit aspect over a biscuit malt core. Tasty, an interesting experiment.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours reddish brown. Foamy, medium, off white head that fades shortly.

Smells strawberries, cream, bready malt, sugar and light earthy.

Tastes strawberries, lactose sugar, bready malt and touch earthiness. Semi dry finish with strawberry linger. Medium body and creamy medium carbonation.

3.51/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.23/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.35/5  rDev -36%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Hard time believing this is a shorts beer. Flavors don't meld at all. Awkwardly sweet. Pass.

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%

3.74/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a copper color with a small white head. Smell is of milk sugar. Taste is the same with a strawberry jam aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium giving it a proper cake feel. Overall needed a more pronounced strawberry taste to balance it out. Too much sugar taste. Good, but not great.

From the 12 oz bottle in a snifter. This rather nice brew pours a red tinged
peach color with a nice head of white foam that settles down to a thick ring and
subtle swirling pool with light lacing. Nose of strawberries and light malt notes with
a touch of grain. Flavors follow the nose with subtle grain notes and strawberries touched
with milk sugars. Decent mouth feel; medium light body, medium carbonation, and
subtle tart lightly dry strawberries on the finish.

Overall, a solid liitle brew.

Cheers

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

When it was announced that Short's Brewing was going to be getting distro into PA, my heart went pitty-pat! I have known these guys since the early part of the century when they were coming to the BeerAdvocate fests at the Cyclorama. I have embroidered cloth patches from them & sport them proudly on my vests & jackets. We did not get everything from them, initially, but as time has passed, so has the depth and breadth of what they are sending us increased. Accordingly, I am trying to keep up with their releases.

From the bottle: "Golden Ale brewed with fresh strawberries and milk sugar".

This has to be among my all-time favorite beers from Short's! This and Soft Parade, both fruit beers, which may seem odd, coming from this self-avowed, self-described hophead. Strawberries & I go back to my wee childhood, when I was one of the only freckle-faced children in my Nursery class & I was a bit of a curiosity. As it turned out, the other freckled classmate was a flame-haired cutie who became my first girlfriend. We became inseparable and held hands and walked side-by-side, while our classmates had to line up. There was some initial concern, but soon the entire school was abuzz about "The Little Couple". I was heartbroken when she moved away after our first grade year. How does this relate to strawberries? Back then, Funny Face drink mix (https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=funny%20face%20drink%20mix&qs=IM&form=QBIR&pq=funny%20face%20drink&sc=8-16&sp=1&sk= )
was the rage & I had a book about the characters, including Freckle-Faced Strawberry, who became our hero! To this day, I have an unabashed fetish for redheads and have written an (as-yet) unpublished children's book about a strawberry.

Onward! It is time to Pop! the cap on this Cake & have some Strawberry. I let fly in my excitement and produced two fingers of foamy, fizzy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was a slightly-hazy Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22), but with a slightly reddish tint. Nose was redolent with strawberries, so fair dinkum for truth in advertising! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but nothing notable. I liked the way the taste was not wildly sweet, but still allowed for the strawberry taste to be in the forefront. The milk sugar gave it a creamy, vanilla-like sweetness and by closing my eyes, I could taste my late-paternal grandmother's signature strawberry shortcake. Oh my! No wonder I have always enjoyed this beer in the past. Finish was sweet, but not cloying or over the top. Instead, it left me longing for summer and the return of fresh strawberries. Would I drink it again? Unquestionably, without hesitation!

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance of strawberry puree and golden ale mixed together. 1/2 finger of slick head.

Well, this smells like a PB&J sandwich (strawberry jam of course). Spot on. I know that's not what they were going for, but impressive nonetheless.

Flavors of strawberry jam, white bread, golden malts, and a slight dirt quality. (whatever you do, don't drink this from the bottle)

Feel is light to medium bodied, crisp, with mild carbonation.

Overall, I think if this were rebranded a PB&J Ale, it would do wonderfully. I didn't taste shortcake or any sort of dessert. I got total PB&J made with strawberry jam dropped on the playground.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Strawberry Short's Cake from Short's Brewing Company