Extreme Beer Fest: Los Angeles (2017)

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Todd, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,490) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

[​IMG]

In case you missed the memo, we're bringing our Extreme Beer Fest to Los Angeles. Together with our friends and sponsor Sam Calagione and the Dogfish Head crew, we'll be bringing the extreme and inviting some of the most creative brewers around to join the celebration of boundary pushing brewing. The one-day, two-session event will be held on Saturday, December 9 at the California Market Center in DTLA.

For tickets, the growing lineup of confirmed brewers and more:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/extreme/los-angeles/

On Facebook? Respond that you're going and share the event with your friends:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/beeradvocate/events/

And put Dec 8 on your calendars, too. We'll be hosting a Pre-ThrowDown.

In the meantime...Questions? Let us know.

Cheers!

----------

The Basics + Updates:
    • Sponsored by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.
    • EBF Los Angeles isn't replacing EBF Boston.
    • Held at the California Market Center (CMC), 110 East 9th St in DTLA.
    • Tickets: $60 + service fees. Limited to 6 tickets, per session, per order.
    • One-day, two-sessions; 12-3:30pm and 6-9:30pm.
    • Expect dozens of brewers pouring hundreds of beers. We're adding brewers to the list as they confirm, and beers will be added closer to the fest.
    • Food vendors to be announced.
    • A portion of the proceeds will benefit a local (to be announced) charity.

Dicers and BrittEBurke like this.
  2. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,556) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

WOW the first part of the list looks AMAZING! Going to be a great event, although nothing else should be expected given the history of BA Fests :grinning:

Todd likes this.
  3. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Update: We're now at 26 out of at least 60 brewers now. Finback, Casa Agria, Short's, Phantom Carriage, Beachwood, de Garde, Great Notion and Tioga-Sequoia have been added.

4. bearsbeers34

bearsbeers34 Initiate (111) Nov 24, 2010 California

How does one, get tickets...on apr 1

5. Todd

Staff Subscriber

6. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Update: For those of you who aren't familiar with our events/history, I finally put this together:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/events/

And I'll be flushing it out with more timeline details over the upcoming months.

BrotherDylan likes this.
  7. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Update: Forbidden Root out of Chicago just confirmed. Inspired by nature, they were pouring some of my favorite brews at Extreme Beer Fest: Boston in February.

BrotherDylan and Dicers like this.
  8. BrittEBurke

BrittEBurke Events Manager (832) Apr 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Staff Beer Trader

BrotherDylan, Todd and Dicers like this.
  9. john0721

john0721 Zealot (545) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Subscriber

OK, I'm in - Day Session.

Looking forward to it.

Todd likes this.
  10. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (621) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Same here. Day session.

Todd likes this.
  11. mysterye87

mysterye87 Initiate (157) Feb 16, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Got day session. Surprised not sold out.

Todd likes this.
  12. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Zealot (579) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Having gone to Boston twice for EBF love that I can now drive instead of flying across country. Really bummed no Friday night session as I like going to both days. Just wanted to say well done on giving the west coast a chance to experience a BA fest!

KevSal, Todd and GRG1313 like this.
  13. Todd

Staff Subscriber

I'm not. Eights months away and we've done very little promoting, but that'll change soon and it'll sellout.
    This is going to be annual event, so we're giving ourselves time to grow and evolve it vs. going balls out year one.

See you guys there! We appreciate the support.

2beerdogs and davidle2483 like this.
  14. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Update: @PMR just confirmed that the The Bruery is in!

I still remember when he and Rachel flew all the way out to Boston to attend their first BA fest. I think it was Return of the Belgian Beer Fest. They had just opened and were well-received. The rest is history...

2beerdogs, PMR and john0721 like this.
  15. Dschwartz83

Dschwartz83 Initiate (173) Feb 1, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Session 2 here. EBF Boston has been my favorite beer event the past few years. There's no way I couldn't make the trip from New Jersey for this. (Well with my awesome wife's blessing of course :slight_smile:) See you in December, LA!

16. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,473) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Hard to believe that there are still tickets, especially in beer loving and crazy Southern California! We actually set our alarms and bought ours within the first 5 minutes of the sale! I expected a sell out within minutes base on my fantastic experiences in Boston.

My two daughters and their husband/boyfriend and I have attended at least six BA extreme fests in Boston, traveling each time from Los Angeles. Every time we go my son-in-law, who is as nuts as I am with this stuff, says that same thing; "This is the best beer event we go to." (And we go to GABF every year for about 10 years and dozens of other "beer things" throughout the year).

It's true. I have no vested interest in BA and have been known to argue and criticize "the brothers" as much as I've supported them. However, there is no question but that the BA Extreme in Boston has been "the best" of the fests and events I've gone to....and I go to a lot of events.

I have every reason to believe that the L.A. event will set a new standard. (And, for those of us who go to Boston each year.....we get to save a shit load of money by staying in our own back yard). Yet my oldest daughter, a surgeon and mother of my only grandchild (and obviously an adult of more than sufficient age) still asked when I told her that we had tickets to the first L.A. Extreme Festival, "Dad, does this mean we're not going to Boston for our yearly trip?" Well, perhaps 2 extreme festivals is really what we all need in today's otherwise insane world!

Bottom Line: I'm really looking forward to sharing this great event with my Los Angeles beer drinking friends who've not had the wonderful experiences that I've had in Boston. We're going to have a great time.

17. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

18. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

BreweryRun, Dicers and Todd like this.
  19. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

KevSal, Todd, Dicers and 2 others like this.
  20. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

21. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

22. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Initiate (190) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

C'mon Omnipollo!

2beerdogs, Dka67 and taylordane like this.
  23. Todd

Staff Subscriber

I'm not familiar with them, but after looking at their offerings they seem like a good fit for the fest. We'll drop them an invite and see what happens.

24. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,556) Sep 2, 2012 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

They're fantastic and always doing some crazy things. They've collobarated a bunch with US breweries too!

25. EL_CHIDO

EL_CHIDO Initiate (69) Apr 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

4 realz?

26. Todd

Staff Subscriber

4 realz. It's a big beer world out there.

KevSal, R1c0rtez and EL_CHIDO like this.
  27. KevSal

KevSal Savant (940) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

omnipollo sounds like the perfect fit for this fest. they've made some extreme and delightful beers recently

Dka67 likes this.
  28. Raziel313

Raziel313 Savant (954) Sep 9, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Inviting holy mountain? Treehouse? J wakefield? Cycle? 3 Sons? Dare i say Toppling Goliath?

Dka67, Zom_bee_face and R1c0rtez like this.
  29. Todd

Staff Subscriber

They're on the list. Email opened. No reply yet.
    They usually pour at our Extreme Beer Fest in Boston, but Dean said they'd be taking a break to focus on their expansion. Boston drinks their booth dry.
    They'll be at our Microbrew in Boston this June. I could ask.
    I've yet to try their beers, but I'll look into it.
    Are they licensed to brew now? If not, we couldn't legally have them pour at the fest. If they are, it looks like they're contract brewing very small amounts which could be challenging on many levels.
    While I dig their beers and have no ill will towards them, and this has been discussed in other threads, I'm hesitant in inviting them again as they've bailed on us in the past.

30. BrittEBurke

Staff Beer Trader

Modern Times Beer from San Diego, California, has been added to our list of confirmed brewers!

Todd, BreweryRun, john0721 and 2 others like this.
  31. swanfungus

swanfungus Devotee (489) Dec 23, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Can we please get @augiecarton and Carton Brewing out to LA for this? I just want to be able to drink Boat ALL NIGHT LONG.

Dicers likes this.
  32. Sullivanj10

Sullivanj10 Initiate (27) Mar 5, 2013 California

It'd be great to have Cloudburst from Seattle down here for the event

33. BreweryRun

BreweryRun Devotee (400) Feb 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Nudge, Nudge.

Also, hoping Holy Mountain accepts the invite. They really impressed me when I visited. Would love to see Toolbox get an invite as well. Their barrel aged sour program has been killing it as of late.

34. thebeerismightier

thebeerismightier Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2015 New York

Killer list so far Todd! Just moved from NYC and would love some extra East Coast love out here in December!
    NY: Grimm, LIC, Sand City
    PA: Voodoo, Tired Hands
    Mid-Atlantic: RaR, The Answer

35. heatwaves

heatwaves Aspirant (264) Oct 17, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

@Todd I know that it's a lot easier to get interest from California breweries simply due to geography, but any chance you've sent invites to Arizona Wilderness, Upright, Ale Apothecary, Wren House, and Wolves & People? Since they're in bordering states, they're close-ish. And even though it's further out, Jester King would be incredible.

Will SARA be there?

dpool and BreweryRun like this.
  36. Eternal218

Eternal218 Initiate (183) Mar 24, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Voodoo and Westbrook would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully you guys reached out.

37. Todd

Staff Subscriber

Stoked to announce that Three Weavers is in. Swung by the brewery last week for Cinco de Mayo and was very impressed with their beers.

And thanks to the thread for the other suggestions. We have limited booth space year one, but we'll do our best to invite who we can and continue to post updates as brewers confirm.

38. Retsinis

Retsinis Champion (848) Sep 25, 2009 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Got a ticket for the Day one session, on the day the tickets went on sale. Will be my first EBF, after so many years on the site, really looking forward to it, along with attending with so many others.

39. Dka67

Dka67 Aspirant (219) Nov 27, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Fonta Flora , OEC , Hill Fatmstrad, Cerebral, Omnipollo, Little Cottage, Side Project , Kane , Fremont would all greatly be welcomed.

40. Todd

Staff Subscriber

@Raziel313: J. Wakefield follow-up. I spoke with Jonathan Wakefield this past weekend at our Microbrew in Boston. He's in.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.