New Beer Sunday (week 582)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cavedave, Apr 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (997) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

Haven't done a NBS in a while! Tonight I'm reviewing Dragon's Milk with Toasted Chilies.

Appearance-Dark cola with some light brown hues all around. There was an initial 1/2 finger of head that dissipated very quickly.
    Smell-Pretty much like regular Dragon's Milk with a light green pepper skin addition and a bit of alcohol
    Taste-Dragon's Milk first and foremost with some pepper flavor and then after a couple seconds the spice hits which wasn't overpowering or intense (but then again, I like spicy food) On the back end it goes back to Dragon's Milk.

[​IMG]

2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (8,018) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

So, I hit a few beers from my BIF boxes, and drank a few non-NBS eligible brews (shocking, I know), even took notes, but damn, I'm in no condition to write the reviews. I'll write 'em tomorrow, and post 'em next week. Thanks for the understanding. Cheers!, NBSers!

3. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,659) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Well Hello Late Night NBS.
    Man there's been some interesting drinks today. We need 2 Sundays each week!!! I'm just saying. Thanks as always to @cavedave for the early, sunshiney start.
    I have the pleasure of popping another Texas surprise from the generosity of Rambling Man @Ozzylizard in our NBS BIF #3. It's over 90 here tooday in SoCal so I'm not hitting an Impy Stout.

Ranger Creek Small Batch Series No. 10Cardamom Tripel

3.75/5 rDev -0.8%
    look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Bruery tulip. marked 11/10/14. Batch mark was blank.
    Three and a half fingers of frothy white head propels upward. Slowly retreats to a half finger of tightly packed bubbles that actually firm up in the middle forming a "hill" of foam in the center of the glass floating on a gently hazy golden liquid. Lacing is a solid pasting.
    Smell is definitely cardamom, with hints of banana, lemongrass, and a mild pepper.
    Taste is cardamom first, hints og ginger, and an ever so subtle peppery lemon combination. No hint of alcohol heat. Yeast is subtle in this one, which I like. Finish is a combo of the above with the cardamom and ginger bringing a little wood along for the ride. Not oak. Not barrel. Like licking a reed for your sax or clarinet.
    Mouthfeel is moderate and definitely carbonated.
    Overall, I believe this is spot on for what I think they were going for. Cardamom was definitely the prominent flavor yet it did not overwhelm. Cardamom is difficult to keep subtle in a drink, in my opinion, and they did it. Cardamom is an interesting choice and I think they did as well as can be done.

4. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,659) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Well, I guess we'll let it slide this time.:wink:

woemad, kemoarps and BBThunderbolt like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

6. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Hell, the (semi) ninja box I've been told to expect hasn't even arrived yet. Plus, the ninja box(es ?) I may or may not send are yet to go out. So, NBS BIF #3, Triple Threat; The BIF That Never Ends, continues. Or not.

7. kemoarps

kemoarps Poo-Bah (1,976) Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

That exact thought has seriously crossed my mind on occasion.

VABA, BBThunderbolt and woemad like this.
  8. kemoarps

Society Trader

Man what a day. I was supposed to be working tonight. I'm precepting a senior practicum student at work and we were supposed to have our second shift together tonight. After staying over Saturday, I had grand plans to get to bed early and greet my mom coming down to the big city to deliver my puppy back down here on her 2nd birthday nonetheless. Well, I went up to the roof to watch the sunset, planning to catch some beautiful colours, come back down and finish up the dishes and maybe mop and go to bed. Well. Up on the rooftop click click click... except it was BLAAAAAALLLAAAARMMMM BLAAAALLLAAAARMMM. In trying to gain a better vantage point I accidentally stepped on the to of the fire alarm pull box and set it off. BAHHHHH. Set off the alarms throughout the entire building and called in the fire department. I accidentally woke the entire gorram building and even better the fire department. Also, turns out that our building does not have the required fire department access box or something or other, so they're getting cited for that by the FD as well. Not my finest hour. I think I'm going to write an apology letter and put one under everyone's door.
    Anyway, as that's getting wrapped up, I get a text from a friend of mine that she fell trying to open a sandwich and broke her foot and she needs me to come drive her to the hospital. Realized in the uber down there that I have a set of crutches in my apartment that I keep on hand because I'm a clumsy oaf (see point #1 above) and that I should have brought them. Ended up having to carry her to the car. So now she's worried about losing her job because she can't walk, and I'm dogsitting for her. I like the dogsitting, because she's got an awesome dog, but I don't like the reason why I have to do it. Maybe she'll let me hang onto the car for a couple of days too until she can drive again and I can use it to go pick up some furniture...
    [​IMG]
    So back to the 'supposed to be working part.' We've got a pretty low census at work right now (that's a great thing. Anytime there are fewer sick kids in the hospital I count that as a win. But it does mean fewer hours, and with tax season and a recent spending binge, I would actually rather be at work...), so they called me and asked if I wanted to just be on call instead of coming in like normally scheduled. My student got paired up with someone else for the night, and I got to take the dogs to the dog park and go get dinner with my mom and so it was really good in that sense. Maybe I'll just try and pick up some extra hours next week or something. I'm just glad I've got my doggy back and am excited I got to hang out with her for her birthday :slight_smile:

Beer? Oh, yeah, beer!
    [​IMG]
    For the last hurrah of Late Night New BSin' I am opting to dip into a local option instead of continuing to plow through that generous BIF box. I've just got a wild/saison hankering right now and since it's late enough that I know that they're not going to call me in, I'm drinking a Witchfinder from Holy Mountain. There are two different entries for Witchfinder. One specifies the brett-conditioning, though I'm not convinced that there was ever a version without brett.
    [​IMG]
    Good stuff.

#168 kemoarps, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    VABA, aoampm, foundersasap and 16 others like this.
  9. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Solid advice for anyone moving in on any count with two or more zeros in it.

I've no Idea which beer will be 1000, except that it will probably be either new and local (since there's a small crop of new breweries in SEPA that may be worth supporting with more cash :-)) or it may be new and already resting quietly among its friends in the cool quiet of our basement. All I'm sure of at the moment is that the counter on here is ticking upwards and it will probably register 1K some time next month, and the odds favor sharing my thoughts about it here on NBS. :wink:

10. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Good on you for being a friend in time of need.

Think of accidentally tripping the alarm as a form of public service in helping encourage adherence to the fire code, thereby increasing the safety of your neighbors.

(And giving them a chance to participate in an unannounced fire drill at an unexpected time :-))

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Holy crap, what a crazy series of events. Hope life calms down a bit for you soon, man.

woemad and kemoarps like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Well another great NBS is in the books. Every week it seems impossible we will top the quality of the beers enjoyed last week, and every week we do. This week was no exception. Thanks to all for you participation in our weekly get together around the virtual bar top in the imaginary NBS Saloon. Hope to see you again next Sunday. Cheers!

smanson56, woemad, LeRose and 4 others like this.
  13. kemoarps

Society Trader

Things will be as they will be. I'm sure stuff will calm down and really most of the madness is inconsequential in the long run. Not the favourite moment but it seems unlikely that any of this is life threatening. This too shall pass and all that.

smanson56, woemad and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.