Online Beer Tastings - Idea Submission Thread (2022)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FBarber, Jan 1, 2022.

1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,065) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Happy New year to all!

This thread is where the Beer Advocate community can come to offer suggestions and input to help determine the online tastings that happen periodically. In 2021 we had 11 tastings covering both a variety of styles and featuring some classic beers! It was a hugely successful year thanks to all of you who make these tastings so much fun!

As we start to plan out the topics for 2022 here are some things to keep in mind:
    • The theme or topic of the tasting can be a single beer, a single style, a subset of similar styles, or a particular theme. In the past we have had tastings that fit into all of those various categories.
    • The goal of these tastings is always to encourage people to explore beers they may not have been otherwise inclined to explore, to learn more about these beers, to review these beers on BA, and most important of all, to have fun and interact with other BAs.
    • While we try to avoid revisiting a previously covered style(s), its not a hard and fast rule. For instance Oktoberfest will be back again this year!
    • Although we've tried a couple different ways to pick the tasting topics, the current method is just general discussion until a general consensus is reached. So jump in here, offer suggestions, offer thoughts and input, and be part of choosing the next topic. And if your suggestion is not picked? Don't worry, there is always the next tasting.
    Once a tasting topic is chosen, a weekend will be chosen (again, by general consensus) and then a host will set up a separate tasting thread for the specific tasting.

For reference, here are the prior Idea Submission Threads:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...ings-idea-submission-thread-2016-2021.476806/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/online-beer-tastings-idea-submission-thread.657956/

Also, a major, major thank you to @ChicagoJ for tracking the tasting thread history. Again, for reference, here are the prior tasting threads through the posting of this new Idea Submission Thread, so keep these prior tastings topics in mind when making suggestions:

39 Previously Completed Beer Advocate Online Tasting Events (2015 - 2021):

Tasting / Styles
    (Dates) @ Thread Starter (Number of posts + stand alone planning threads when applicable)

2022 (1/ 40 cumulative)
    Non Alcoholic Beers (January 14-17) @elNopalero (160)
    Tripels (March 25-27) @FBarber (222 + 133 planning thread)

2021 (11 / 39 Cumulative)
    Scotch Ales, Wee Heavies, Scottish Ales, Winter Warmers (December 17-19) @Beersnake1 (485)
    Bourbon County Brand Stout (November 23-28) @Beer_Economicus (203)
    Brown Ales: Altbier, American/Belgian Dark / English Brown Ales, Mild Ale - English Dark (November 12-14) @FBarber (273)
    Malt Liquor & European Strong (October 22-24) @ChicagoJ (304)
    Oktoberfest (III) (September 18 - October 4) @Todd (825)
    Fruited Kettle Sours Berliner Weisse (II), Fruited Kettle Sour, Gose (August 6-8) @FBarber (221)
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (July 5) @FBarber (242)
    Wheat Beers: Dunkelweizen (II), American Dark, American Pale, Hefeweizen, Kristallweizen, Witbier (June 18-20) @FBarber (266 + 69 planning thread)
    Bocks: Doppelbock (III), Bock Maibock Weizenbock (II), Eisbock (April 23-25) @TongoRad (532 + 457 planning thread)
    Porters: American, English, Imperial, Robust, Smoked (March 12-14) @FBarber (495)
    Barleywines (II) & Wheatwine (January 29-31) @SierraNevallagash (492 + 201 planning thread)

2020 (7 / 28 Cumulative)
    Holiday Beers
    (December 18-20) @FBarber (255)
    Bourbon County Brand Stout (November 26-29) @ChicagoJ (272 + 60 planning thread)
    Lambic (October 30 - November 1) @ChicagoJ (109 + 61 planning thread)
    Oktoberfest (II) (September 19-20) @TongoRad (413 + 288 planning thread)
    West Coast IPA (August 7-8) @FBarber (339)
    Pilsner (May 29-30) @FBarber (476)
    Saison (April 3-4) @FBarber (257)

2019 (3 / 21 Cumulative)
    Bock
    , Doppelbock (II), Weizenbock, Dunkelweizen (November 30) @FBarber (253)
    Belgian Dubbel (June 15) @zid (215)
    Beers You Inexplicably Haven't Had (February 2) @FBarber (67)

2018 (2 / 18 Cumulative)
    Pumpkin
    (October 20) @FBarber (129)
    Irish Dry Stout (March 24) @Riff (213)

2017 (8 / 16 Cumulative)
    Belgian Christmas Ale
    (December 16) @Scott17Taylor (85)
    Oktoberfest (September 23) @Scott17Taylor (127)
    Berliner Weisse (July 8) @Scott17Taylor (103)
    American Adjunct Lagers (June 3) @TongoRad (222)
    Maibock (April 8) @Harrison8 (257)
    Barleywine (March 4) @Scott17Taylor (278)
    Dopplebock (February 4) @Harrison8 (209)
    Ten FIDY (January 7) @Scott17Taylor (199)

2016 (4 / 8 Cumulative)
    Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
    (May 7) @Urk1127 (57)
    Ayinger Celebrator (April 2) @BrewsingBuffalo (75)
    Orval (II) (March 26) @dcotom (53)
    Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (March 12) @Scott17Taylor (209)

2015 (4)
    Delirium Noel
    (December 18) @SammyJaxxxx (261)
    The Abyss 2014 (November 15) @JayWhitson aka
    deleted_user_950283
    (120)
    Orval (September 20) @Todd (50)
    St. Bernardus Abt 12 (July 19) @ThisWangsChung (302)

#1 FBarber, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    arizcards, SABERG, el_bobbo and 26 others like this.
  2. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Champion (851) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I’m pumped for the new year and a new set of tastings.

Thank you to all the mods and community members that make this thread and each of the tastings what they are. Big thanks to @Todd for always promoting the tastings as well by sending notifications, pinning the tastings, etc.

3. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,348) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Thanks for @FBarber for organizing this thread, and to @ChicagoJ for the stats! I completely agree with @Beer_Economicus that @Todd has done a great job promoting these tasting threads on social media. I can't wait for the tastings in 2022!!!

4. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

So get your suggestions in! I'm looking at getting the next tasting set up for early February right after dry January (since I know a lot of people participate in that).

I also have something special in the works for the month of February (separate from the tasting) that I'll announce when we get closer to February.

Peach63, DIM, adrock314 and 10 others like this.
  5. Beer_Economicus

Trader

If I may, I would like to suggest the first weekend in Feb. the second is V-Day, the third and fourth are not “early Feb” (and, I am working, so selfishly I am hoping this doesn’t occur during a time where I am completely unable to participate).

Some of the ideas from the last thread included:

1) “Open that special beer you’ve been holding onto!”
    2) Barleywine Tasting
    3) Old Ales
    4) Dunkel’s & other ilk (I think)

6. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (430) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

OK I will go ahead and suggest it. I admit I have 1 about every night. The polarizing style that most of the site elders (and others) frown upon:

NEIPA's.

So many offerings, let's just get these hazies out of the way once and for all. :grin:

7. Spade

Spade Aspirant (248) Mar 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

With February being Black History Month, maybe something involving Black-owned breweries or Black brewmasters? Might be a bit tough finding those beers but I'd certainly try.

8. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,252) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I find @Beer_Economicus' idea of "Open that special beer you’ve been holding onto!” intriguing.

Something everyone can participate in without much effort to find specific styles and/or breweries...

9. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

That one is going to get covered this year for sure, but not for the February tasting.

@Beer_Economicus

10. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Thanks @beergoot . This is something that I know we've talked about before and that I have advocated for. Some have called it 'cellar clearing', but that's not really the intention. I recently opened a King Henry. I've been holding onto it since I received it back in 2018. Why did I hold onto it for that long?! I should have drank it! BUT, I just hated to open such a sacred beer unless the time was right. ...but, it was never 'right'.

I like the idea of creating an occasion for people to open those beers they've been holding onto and just can't find the motivation. Plus, what an incredibly fun thread. I can't wait to read all the stories people must have about these bottles.

11. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,852) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Damn! I miss the vibe of that original Orval tasting. Although it only had a page plus, it was "live" for a few participants. Things started to hit the "snags" of timing and the thread was [d]evolving by the Delirium Noël tasting (still 2015), though even re-reading that, there was more "real time" back and forth.

I've enjoyed the tastings for what they've become. However, it'd be huge fun if we could find a way to include a "live" portion, even if it wasn't the entire tasting. I'd think that with the promotion (muted more recently) of Discord, it might be something worth re-exploring?

(Thanks to @FBarber and/or @ChicagoJ for the links and walk down memory lane)

Peach63, larryi86, Bitterbill and 9 others like this.
  12. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

This is something @Todd and I have discussed in the past and certainly something I would love to see develop in the coming year. Let me talk with Todd a bit more and see what we can do with that.

Beersnake1, BigIronH, Todd and 3 others like this.
  13. Beer_Economicus

Trader

This is an interesting idea. I'm really curious to see how this would turn out. I'm excited, especially if everyone is OK with it being recorded. I'd like to experience it, even if I am not personally able to attend if I have a time conflict.

Beersnake1, BigIronH and cjgiant like this.
  14. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,366) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

How about a NA tasting for dry January? Somehow last year's NA thread made it to 16 pages (screens?), so there's definitely interest among the community.

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,023) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm with all yall regarding opening a special beer, NA beer for dry January, but it's been a minute since we had a tasting that involved a single beer. Anyone else think it's about time to have a FBS tasting? Seems like founders is ubiquitous, and FBS is akin to SNPA. Thoughts?

16. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Id be open to that!

@Harrison8 @beer_beer @BeerVikingSailor

17. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,258) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Others can lead better than me. I drink Athletic, but not all brands consistently. Happy to contribute though, pending on the criteria.

18. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (5,887) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Piggybacking here, I'd love to see a winter tasting of a VERY broad 'genre'...dark lagers.

Dunkels. Doppelbocks. Czech Dark Lagers. Baltic Porters. Schwarzbiers. Dozens of styles I'm forgetting.

Probably too broad, in actuality, but I think this would be a fun way to emphasize lagers during the months we usually turn to stouts / old ales / etc.

If people gave a fuck, I'd step outside of my comfort zone to host.

mvogt, TCgenny, Coronaeus and 11 others like this.
  19. Beer_Economicus

Trader

You can piggyback as long as you hold back on a few crowlers. My back is getting worn out with the Toddler, and 64 additional oz is too many. :wink:

Given how much participation there was with the bock tasting that @TongoRad led, I have to believe that a 'dark lagers' tasting would go over pretty damn well.

20. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,037) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This would get my vote. It's broad enough that we could all find something and highlighting just how wide a category it is could help bring some awareness to these overlooked styles.

21. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ Poo-Bah (1,780) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Bringing this portion of my 2021 post not included in Frank’s great OP of this year’s thread.

Styles not covered in previous tasting events to date:
    • Dark Ales: Rye Beer - Roggenbier.
    • Dark Lagers: American Amber / Red; European Dark; Munich Dunkel; Rauchbier; Scwarzbier; Vienna.
    • Hybrid Beers: Biere de Champagne / Biere Brut; Braggot; California Common / Steam Beer; Cream Ale.
    • India Pale Ales: American, Belgian, Black / Cascadian Dark Ale, Brut, English, Imperial, New England.
    • Pale Ales: English Bitter, English Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB); Blond Ales (American & Belgian); Farmhouse Ale - Biere de Garde; Kolsch; Mild Ale - English Pale, Pale Ale (American, Belgian, English); Red Ale (American Amber / Red & Irish).
    • Pale Lagers: American, European / Dortmunder Export; European Pale; Helles; India Pale Lager; Kellerbier / Zwickelbier; Light.
    • Porters: Baltic.
    • Specialty Beers: Chile Beer, Farmhouse Ale - Sahti; Fruit and Field Beer; Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale; Happoshu, Herb and Spice Beer; Kvass; Lager - Japanese Rice; Low Alcohol Beer; Rye Beer; Smoked Beer.
    • Stouts: American, American Imperial, English, Foreign / Export, Oatmeal, Russian Imperial, Sweet / Milk.
    • Strong Ales: Old Ale, Quadrupel, Imperial Red Ale, Strong Ales (American, Belgian Dark, Belgian Pale, English), Tripel.
    • Wild / Sour Beers: Brett Beer, Sour (Flanders Oud Bruin & Flanders Red Ale); Wild Ale.
    Non-Style Related Possibilities:
    • Beers in your cellar
    • Top 100 or 250
    • Top Beers 10/50/100 from your State and/or Country
    • Hall of Fame Beers
    • Most Popular Beers
    • Your Favorite Beer
    • Others as proposed
    I like @GuyFawkes ’ suggestion , perhaps covering some / all of the six sub-styles we haven’t formally tried yet under Dark Lagers.

Hoping sometime this year we may get to the two Flanders Sours excluded from last year’s Sours event and/or a Kolsch event.

In terms of non-style specific events, perhaps visiting the Top 100 or 250 in light of the implemented changes may bring added focus and conversation to that BA resource.

A final wild card suggestion would be the official #1 ranked beer under any style category as ranked by BA. Would allow us to sell / discuss their favorite top ranked beer and why it is such a great standard bearer for that particular style. This would give us 114 beers to choose from, and allow folks to present styles not tried / styles we may never try due to limited availability (Kvass, Happoshu, Chile, Braggot, etc.).

Looking forward to another great year of tastings!

beergoot, Harrison8, Peach63 and 15 others like this.
  22. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Meyvn (1,402) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Gruit Day is on February 1st: presumably there will be breweries that focus on a release to coincide, for those looking at the options

https://www.gruitday.beer/index.htm

23. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,387) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'd love the barleywine tasting done annually!

#23 DIM, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    ChicagoJ, Harrison8, jmdrpi and 7 others like this.
  24. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (5,010) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Really like the beers in your cellar idea, always like seeing what people have been aging.

25. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,389) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I like a lot of these ideas.
    Ive been in a lot of these tastings and discussions for planning.
    One issue Ive seen a lot is. "I cant find any of xxxx style of beer near me".

The solution could be a Rep Your State tasting!! Top 50 beers from your State. Or whatever number. Ive always tried to bring some Connecticut beer to these parties.
    Promote your guys and gals and the beers they make. Could lead to trades and expanding awareness of a brewery.

And yes, barleywines as an Annual event would be amazing!

26. Beer_Economicus

Trader

*Cough* Looking for Big Munro *Cough*

:grin:

TCgenny, sulldaddy and BigIronH like this.
  27. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Barleywine annual tasting gets another vote here! At some point, I would love to host one of these!

ChicagoJ, TCgenny, jmdrpi and 6 others like this.
  28. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,399) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

29. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,282) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

How about a beer no one else has ever had/first review. Pick a hyper local beer that's not in the BA database, enter it, and do the first review. A bit like NBW but not really...

30. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Of this list, I would love to see stouts, porters, and strong ales. I'm actually pretty shocked that we haven't done a stout event - seems like participation would be VERY high.

31. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

We did an irish dry stout event and then the BCBS tastings - but not just a general stout event.

32. Beersnake1

Society Trader

Do you think a general stout tasting would be too broad? I wonder if doing a non-BA stout event would thin it out a bit? Alternatively, a BA stout event might be fun too

33. Brugesman

Brugesman Initiate (76) Apr 22, 2020 Oregon
    Trader

Spirit barrel-aged! Could be as broad as that, or more specific: bourbon, rye, mezcal, rum. Oh Lordy, I'm swooning at the mere thought of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

BrewsOverHoes, FBarber and BigIronH like this.
  34. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Yea, I think we'd need to narrow it. Barrel aged stouts would be a good way to do that. Or, what Ive long thought would be fun - stouts with no additives or adjuncts or barrel aging - just good old school plain stouts.

35. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

ok, I would like to see the NA beer tasting happen in January, so lets start looking at a date for that. I am thinking 1/14 - 1/16?

Also, is there someone who would like to host this one? I don't feel like I am the person to host this tasting at all ... @elNopalero would you want to host it since it was your suggestion?

36. Peach63

Peach63 Meyvn (1,073) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I'll toss in another vote for stouts. Barrel-aged would be my choice. This is the time of year for them.

37. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,191) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I like the idea of a general Belgian Strong Ale tasting (Strong Pale, Strong Dark, Tripel, Quads). Most people can get the the popular ones.

When I first got into good beer 20 years ago, these beers were considered the pinnacle of beer drinking. With all the emphasis nowadays on NEIPAs, it would be good to re-focus on some of the classics.

beergoot, adrock314, Peach63 and 6 others like this.
  38. officerbill

officerbill Savant (958) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

There hasn't been a Strong Ale tasting and February would be the ideal time of the year for one.
    Not to mention that, judging from the included styles, I might not even have to go out and buy any :grin:

39. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,191) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I would probably go out and pick up some more obscure ones. But yeah, I know I've currently got bottles of Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12, Westmalle Tripel, Chimay Blue, Gouden Carolus Blue, Gulden Draak, and Delerium Tremens in the cellar.

officerbill, Beersnake1 and ChicagoJ like this.
  40. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

With all the talk in the dry january thread it has me curious to try a NA beer.

Sidenote...I haven't had one since my grampy gave me some odoul's when i was a kid. It seems NA beers have come quite a long way since then.

I saw brooklyn just released an NA variety pack as well, according to their NJ distributor.

TCgenny, Peach63, sulldaddy and 4 others like this.