Wasky Burton Ale | Foggy Noggin Brewing

Reviews by ScreamForMe:
4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a Samuel Smith imperial pint glass. Pours a medium coppery amber with a thin off white head that dissipates to a ring around the glass leaving ephemeral lacing. Aroma of sweet malt and an unusual light herbal component similar to wintergreen, slightly floral. Flavor is unusual, spicy dark and caramel malt, herbal with a pine or juniper component, finishes with almost medicinal herbal hops and and earthy spice. Medium bodied. An somewhat idiosyncratic ale that seemed a little too much on first taste, but really grew on me as I drank it. The finish was somewhat astringently bitter, but the flavors are interesting enough that it was not a distraction. I'm not an expert on Burton process ales, but I'm guessing this may not be a traditional tasting one. Nevertheless a very interesting and different ale that I would certainly buy again.

3.28/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle opened on 9.16.12.

A - Pours a cloudy reddish-orange with a very small light tan head, or a film that quickly goes to the edges.

S - Leather, tobacco, dark fruit.

T - Lots of leather and tobacco.

D - Very Dry, ok carbonation with a medium-light body. Shoe leather finish.

O - No sweetness from the molasses, leather and lots of it.

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Attractive copper orange color with a modest foam. Weirdly fruity, like pear skins only more bitter. Yeasty, murky smell.

This tastes so strongly of yeast, and is so bitter I wonder what was going on. Serious mineral flavors, a whiff of sulfur, and a little sourness in the finish. Excruciatingly dry, with an intense bitter aftertaste that is more like yeast than hops. Tastes like oversteeped blackberry leaf tea.

I think they may have used Burton-style yeast, but I can't believe any English beer ever tasted like this. Whatever it is, it doesn't go down easy. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Special Brews in Lynnwood for ten bucks.

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at a pizza joint near I-5 10 miles from the border.
And what is absolutely interesting is that the brewer got right the Burton Taste despite being in the Puget Sound and, probably, using snow run-off as water. (Burton water and their process of using it produces a unique character that only an expert can understand... and that is not me.)

This ale Looks average, foam the recedes. However, it gives me really nice malty Smells. Tastes add intrigue from Northwest terroir, which could be the hops or some juniper or some evergreen or... even the water. Whatever can be said about it, it is were earth and water meet. Sits in my mouth fine and improves as it warms and I acclimate to my temporary terroir.

I went on Foggy Noggin's website and they are the real deal: small batch brewing. Only their climate is even more moist that England's; so their sense of humor is not as dry. Nonetheless, a shared dedication to brewing gets OA pints... I mean, points. No, I also mean pints as I would like this again.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Smooth body. Slight tobacco/leather flavors. Easy drinking.

Wasky Burton Ale from Foggy Noggin Brewing