Super Star | Great Notion Brewing

Great Notion Brewing
Oregon, United States
greatnotionpdx.com

Style: New England IPA

"We want to say a little something that's long overdue, the disrespect to women has got to be through. To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends, we want to offer our love and respect to the end." (RIP MCA)
Hops: Mosaic, Simcoe, Galaxy & Vic Secret.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16oz can

Pours about two fingers of dense, fluffy white head into my willi becher glass. Retention is above average, after almost 5 minutes, a finger still remains. Initial lacing looks very good. Body is orange juice. Looks good so far.

Nose is very nice, but just like every other hazy. Mango, papaya, citrus, maybe some pineapple. Maybe a touch of dank hops hiding somewhere, but mostly just fruity. Smell is big, and it’s smells good. Unoriginal of course, but good.

Starts off with a relatively strait forward citrus profile, quickly turns into juice, like, they may have added juice to this. I generally don’t want juice in my beer, and I definitely don’t want it if I didn’t expect it; but who knows. A little hop burn in the back. Too sweet, makes my mouth dry out very fast. I mean, eh, it’s good but there are some questionable things going on here, regardless I’m not crazy about it. Whether there is juice in here or not, the flavor is pretty one dimensional.

Carbonation is pretty low. Body is thin for a hazy. Bitterness is present in the form of a mild burn, probably some hop trub in suspension, does have a nice bite though. As mentioned, way too many sugars lingering in my mouth. Low carbonation and too much sugar hurt the feel here.

Drinkabiltiy is aided by the hop bite, but the sugars generally outweigh that in a negative way. Not super hard to drink, but I find myself slowing down as my mouth dries.

Appearance turned out very nice. Head eventually dissipated, but was still solid. The lacing was very thick.

Overall, I expect a more complex flavor. Sugars do not help. Not a bad hazy, but my standards are pretty high with a style that is as arrogant as this one.

Super Star from Great Notion Brewing